Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Questions Thread

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cheerio2 View Post
    Stupid question: What do commentators mean when they say a skater "looks tight"? Sometimes they also say a jump looks tight...which I guess means underrotated or not much height/flow?
    Often skaters who are nervous come up in their knees a bit, and can't relax into a program and let it flow.

It seems to me a pattern is emerging since the Japanese Nationals that the "old guard" skaters like Mao, Ashley and Carolina are not being "gifted" anymore. It seems all of a sudden nothing can be taken for granted in Sochi. Now YuNa, due to her near absence this season seems not to have been touched by this trend, yet. I am thinking the judges in Sochi might actually be harsher on the veterans and more forgiving of the newbies. The Europeans aren't over so perhaps I am jumping the gun but here is my question; is it possible a clean Adelina beats a clean YuNa?
    Note; this is a "stupid question" thread.

Custom Title
    "They are shockingly ineloquent" made me laugh out loud. So true! I think Scott and Sandra have been doing this for so long that they sort of use the same catch phrases and buzz words and think they sound knowledgeable.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    This is not just a few figure skating announcers. The Brits as a nation have been doing this for at least a couple of centuries. Churchill stubbornly stuck to pronouncing "Nazis" as "Nartzees". Butchering French words has a hoary tradition there and was an infallible test of ethnicity long before DNA was discovered. Younger Brits have moved away from the linguistic mayhem of their forefathers, but I believe Prince Philip is still among the most instrumental in keeping alive the grand British tradition of the Cultural Gaffe.
    I think the way Churchill pronounced it was NAH-zeez, without the "t" sound that should properly end the first syllable, but you make an apt point about him; he was, after all, the member of an aristocratic family, and he came of age in the 1890s. A true son of the British Empire. When I was over there long ago, announcers on BBC 3, the classical music station, used to pronounce Don Juan as "Don Juu-an," with the "j" sound as in "jump." And Don Quixote was pronounced just the way it was spelled, "kwix-ote." The car the Jaguar was always "Jag-you-are." How we Americans can say that we speak English is sometimes beyond me.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I think the way Churchill pronounced it was NAH-zeez, without the "t" sound that should properly end the first syllable, but you make an apt point about him; he was, after all, the member of an aristocratic family, and he came of age in the 1890s. A true son of the British Empire. When I was over there long ago, announcers on BBC 3, the classical music station, used to pronounce Don Juan as "Don Juu-an," with the "j" sound as in "jump." And Don Quixote was pronounced just the way it was spelled, "kwix-ote." The car the Jaguar was always "Jag-you-are." How we Americans can say that we speak English is sometimes beyond me.
    But you forgot the "r".

"There is one word he did mutilate, to his great advantage, by talking about the “Narzees” rather than the “Nazis”."

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/lear...s/he-stuttered

I guess we can safely conclude that two wrongs do, indeed, make a right.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

I don't think they know themselves what they mean by it. They just seem to throw out random words. They are just shockingly ineloquent.
    Quote of the day! Their commentary is mostly inane and at times absolutely intolerable. I showed Jason's FS to a friend who rarely watches skating; she loved the performance but asked me who the "guy making awful grunts throughout the skate" was...

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Just re-watched some programs from Nationals.

What do Scott and Sandra mean when they say that Polina's technique is "pure?" As a casual figure skating fan, I could not for the life of me, figure it out.
    Funny you should ask... I tweeted about this right after they said it. LOL:

https://twitter.com/breathesgelatin/...08602657411073

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    is it possible a clean Adelina beats a clean YuNa?
    After the marks she got at Euros, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    "They are shockingly ineloquent" made me laugh out loud. So true! I think Scott and Sandra have been doing this for so long that they sort of use the same catch phrases and buzz words and think they sound knowledgeable.
    Or they don't even use words. During Jason Brown's FS, Hamilton does some unintelligible grunting.

(I also love how the underrotated and double-footed 3axel is the point where Hamilton says how Brown is hitting all of his 3axels or something like that. Very apt. :D Bezic quickly points out that 'it was a little double-footed' sounding a little embarassed)

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Oh, my, now we've shifted the discussion to my very favorite skating commentator in the whole wide world, Scott Hamilton. NOT

Another of his catch-phrases is "He/She NAILS it!" He uses this whenever a skater manages to complete a jump without falling. It does not matter if the skater barely hangs on or if the landing is so scratchy you can hear the grind and see the snow on television... they NAIL it!

I know he wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but I miss Dick Button. I learned so much about figure skating and its history from him.

Rinkside
    Hi everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster... I was just curious as to why the U.S. awards a pewter medal at their national championships. As far as I know, no other country follows this practice. I did a quick search online and could not find an answer to my question, so I was hoping someone on this board would know.

Thanks!

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jenn View Post
    Hi everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster... I was just curious as to why the U.S. awards a pewter medal at their national championships. As far as I know, no other country follows this practice. I did a quick search online and could not find an answer to my question, so I was hoping someone on this board would know.

Thanks!
    Firstly, welcome to the forum, Dr. Jenn! I hope you enjoy your time here!

Very good question!

When I saw the photo of Ashley on the podium with Gracie, Polina E and Mirai, I was wondering "hang on, what's going on here? Have they brought Ashley up because they're taking her to Sochi?"

It was only when I went onto Wikipedia a few days later to look up a result from a previous year, that I saw that the 4th position was coloured in. And I realised "ah, they must award something to 4th position!"

To answer your question, I have no idea! The only explanation I can think of is because they're American, and Americans like to do things BIGGER and (in their eyes) better!

Why have just three on the podium when you can have four?!

Sorry for going with the stereotype, but it is the only logical explanation I can think of!

There is something I have often wondered, and since it is kinda related to this question, I will ask it now.

Now, I don't know if they do this in America, but they do it at ISU events (it was last night's Ice Dance podium ceremony at Europeans that put the question in my head again).

Why is it that in figure skating that the podium presentations are done in the order 1-2-3?

In every other sport I have ever seen a podium ceremony for, the presentations are done in the order 3-2-1.

So, does anybody know the reason for this?

Thank you

CaroLiza_fan

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    Firstly, welcome to the forum, Dr. Jenn! I hope you enjoy your time here!

Very good question!

When I saw the photo of Ashley on the podium with Gracie, Polina E and Mirai, I was wondering "hang on, what's going on here? Have they brought Ashley up because they're taking her to Sochi?"

It was only when I went onto Wikipedia a few days later to look up a result from a previous year, that I saw that the 4th position was coloured in. And I realised "ah, they must award something to 4th position!"

To answer your question, I have no idea! The only explanation I can think of is because they're American, and Americans like to do things BIGGER and (in their eyes) better!

Why have just three on the podium when you can have four?!

Sorry for going with the stereotype, but it is the only logical explanation I can think of!

There is something I have often wondered, and since it is kinda related to this question, I will ask it now.

Now, I don't know if they do this in America, but they do it at ISU events (it was last night's Ice Dance podium ceremony at Europeans that put the question in my head again).

Why is it that in figure skating that the podium presentations are done in the order 1-2-3?

In every other sport I have ever seen a podium ceremony for, the presentations are done in the order 3-2-1.

So, does anybody know the reason for this?

Thank you

CaroLiza_fan
    I think it's because it's harder to step onto the top of the podium in skates, so if the order was 3-2-1, the the gold medalist would have the hardest time getting on the podium. S/he would literally have to step on either the silver or bronze medalist's platform in order to get onto their own. Therefore, to make the medal ceremony a lot smoother, it makes more sense to have it 1-2-3. Just my two cents 'cause I've wondered that too.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    I think it's because it's harder to step onto the top of the podium in skates, so if the order was 3-2-1, the the gold medalist would have the hardest time getting on the podium. S/he would literally have to step on either the silver or bronze medalist's platform in order to get onto their own. Therefore, to make the medal ceremony a lot smoother, it makes more sense to have it 1-2-3. Just my two cents 'cause I've wondered that too.
    Yes, Becki!!! That totally makes sense!!!

Thank you so much for finally putting me out of my misery!

CaroLiza_fan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    After the marks she got at Euros, yes.
    Give me some of what you are smoking. Kim in her only international this year scored several points higher than that in the short with a fall and Sotnikova with the LP of her life at her own Nationals scored almost 10 points lower than what Yu Na scored at a World Championships.

Now my turn. Can Jeremy Abbott score over 100 if he does a short program at the Games like his Nationals one that almost got 100 (crazy question as the thread requested but atleast it is more likely than the above).

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jenn View Post
    Hi everyone!

Thanks!
    http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/faq/rules.shtml#Q17

Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast