Page 40 of 65 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Questions Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    But now if you want to squeeze one more jump into your program without violating Zayak rules, then you can put a flip or a Salchow at the end. But now you have to hop over onto the left foot for the take-off.
    That reminds me of the 3Z-1L-3F combo that Alexander Johnson did at 2013 Nationals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-1AI1fXdiE#t=01m33s

I though Alex did a nice job with that combo. Hoping we'll see it again this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    That reminds me of the 3Z-1L-3F combo that Alexander Johnson did at 2013 Nationals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-1AI1fXdiE#t=01m33s

I though Alex did a nice job with that combo. Hoping we'll see it again this season.
    This is a good example of it being clearly intentional and not an apparent mistake

Medalist
    youtube user germann1968 has an entire set of ISU training videos on components, but none on elements. does anyone know if these are online anywhere? if not, maybe some other videos on evaluating elements?

Custom Title
    I'm not aware of a specific ISU set of videos for elements, either for judges to award GOEs or for tech panels to call elements.

The ISU does have a DVD called "Elements of Basic Skating (the fundamentals of Figure Skating by analyzing basic skating techniques)" listed on its Publications for sale page. I believe it was made before IJS (and youtube -- but it would be a copyright violation to post it there anyway) and is more general in its approach, but I've never seen it -- I don't know if it's geared more toward coaches who should already know the basics or to fans and/or beginning judges who weren't advanced skaters themselves.

Do skaters ever practice with their costumes on to see how they move in them?

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johar View Post
    Do skaters ever practice with their costumes on to see how they move in them?
    The simple answer is Yes.

(Not trying to be snarky ... just don't know what else needs to be said in reply.)

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    We have program practice once and sometimes twice a week at my rink where a competition is simulated..to an extent. The ice is cleared and you get to skate your program free of traffic and everyone wears their full outfits. Everyone watches you skate so it is a good test of nerves in addition to breaking in your competition garb. As a side note: bring your tissues. Someone is going to cry.

Thanks for the answers!

New stupid question re memorabilia showing U.S. skaters:
    Mirai retweeted a fan's photo that displays mini-posters of Mirai, Jason, Gracie, and Max. The shot of Jason is the best (can't see the one of Max).
    Are the posters available from a commercial vendor? (Yes, theoretically I could ask the tweeter, but this thread is so convenient .)
    https://twitter.com/skatingsteph97/s...54591560757249 (Jul 21)

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    New stupid question re memorabilia showing U.S. skaters:
    Mirai retweeted a fan's photo that displays mini-posters of Mirai, Jason, Gracie, and Max. The shot of Jason is the best (can't see the one of Max).
    Are the posters available from a commercial vendor? (Yes, theoretically I could ask the tweeter, but this thread is so convenient .)
    https://twitter.com/skatingsteph97/s...54591560757249 (Jul 21)
    I believe it's from the Stars on Ice program. And yes, you can get it for $15.

http://www.starsonicestore.com/progr...r-program.html

I might have to get one! (I decided against it when I went).

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I believe it's from the Stars on Ice program. And yes, you can get it for $15.

http://www.starsonicestore.com/progr...r-program.html

I might have to get one! (I decided against it when I went).
    Thanks, Mrs. P.

I knew this thread would be a good way to get an answer.

My stupid question is: how do you follow a skater on VK without sending them a friend request? I don't see a "follow" button anywhere, even though their page has lots of followers.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gallavich View Post
    My stupid question is: how do you follow a skater on VK without sending them a friend request? I don't see a "follow" button anywhere, even though their page has lots of followers.
    You can't.

When you send a friend request on vKontakte, you automatically start following them. That is how profiles have so many followers - they have had lots of friend requests that they have not accepted!

Personally, I don't worry about it - I just send the friend request anyway. If they accept it, all well and good. If they don't, well, you still get their updates on your News Feed. The only difference is that if you follow somebody, you can't post to their profile or reply to posts on their profile.

Alternatively, there is an "add to bookmarks" button at the bottom of the profiles. If you click this, you can get quick access to profiles from the "My Bookmarks" page. But, you don't get updates on your News Feed from these pages (as far as I know), whereas you do with pages you follow.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Thank you, CaroLiza_fan...that's exactly what I needed to know!

This may not be especially stupid, but I was wondering about World Championship ticket prices and general info. I want to go in 2016 in Boston (very far away, I know) but I would like to know what I'm to expect. I searched for info about Worlds but got only bits of information. I was wondering when is the earliest they usually will be put up for sale? Will buying them as early as possible save any money? How much are men's and ladies' fs usually? What is a good row/section to sit? Do you have any recommendations for a site to buy them on?
    Sorry for so many questions, but I've never been to a sporting event before

Page 40 of 65 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast