Page 41 of 85 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Questions Thread

Banned
    Ok heres one. Who started the trend of flesh covered skates in Russia. A look I really like.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Flesh colored skates have been around a long time.

Barbara Underhill was wearing them in 1984.
    http://olympic.ca/photos/sarajevo-19...carousel-21824

Banned
    But basically every Russian girl now wears them. At what point did that happen.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    This must be my day for grousing about my least favorite skating styles. I was complaining about Bielmanns in that thread & now here I go again re: flesh-colored skates or tights covering the skates. To me the tights look like Ace bandages, although can understand the practicality of covering white boots -- it must be next to impossible to keep them looking pristine clean.

IIRC, Katarina Witt started wearing flesh-colored skates at some point after she turned pro. Still, Barbara Underhill (loved her & Paul M!) pre-dates Katarina.

Rinkside
    Here is another stupid question - How to find the scores of each skater in an ISU competition in 90s? Is there a database we can search?

skatabase
    http://eskatefans.com/category/skatabase/

It is being updated again

www.tracings.net is handy

wikipedia has a lot of info, believe it or not.

The isu database has some info for long past years

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    skatabase
    http://eskatefans.com/category/skatabase/

It is being updated again

www.tracings.net is handy

wikipedia has a lot of info, believe it or not.

The isu database has some info for long past years

Many thanks! But none of these websites seems to have the score given by each judge?

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Recently, Ice Network has chosen to write the name given in the ISU bio as Tuktamysheva as Tuktimysheva.
    Her bio
    http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010705.htm
    The IN article
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/...-previous-form ...
    A belated FYI re spelling choices for names of skaters:

Stumbled upon US Figure Skating's style guide (2013-14), and see some spelling "edicts" (my word ) at the very bottom of the last page.
    Not saying that GS must abide by USFS style. Just interesting (IMO) to see that USFS officially has decided to use certain spellings that it recognizes are going against the tide.

Name spellings
    There are names of several foreign skaters, coaches and competitions we have decided to spell differently than some other outlets. For example:
    Evgeni Plushenko (commonly seen as “Evgeny”)
    Nikoli Morozov (Nikolai)
    Marina Zoueva (Zueva)
    Elizaveta Tuktamisheva (Tuktamysheva)
    Ondrej Nepela Memorial (Nepala)
    Yu-Na Kim (Yuna Kim, Kim Yu-Na)
    Rafael Arutunian (Arutyunyan)

http://www.usfigureskating.org/conte...styleguide.pdf (fifteen pages)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by High fever View Post
    Here is another stupid question - How to find the scores of each skater in an ISU competition in 90s? Is there a database we can search?
    Quote Originally Posted by High fever View Post
    Many thanks! But none of these websites seems to have the score given by each judge?
    No, there is no website that published detailed protocols (with scores and ordinals) from all competitions in the 1990s.

In the later 1990s, as Internet use became more widespread, sometimes detailed protocols were posted on a competition website and sometimes dedicated fans typed up scores from specific competitions. I know I saved some on my hard drive at the time. But I didn't hold on to them when I upgraded to a new computer, nor do I know anyone who posted that kind of detailed information in one place.

For Olympics only, see http://winter-olympic-memories.com/h...esults_top.htm

If you have a question about a specific competition, go ahead and ask. I have a few hard copy protocols or lists of scores that I copied into notebooks that I saved. Other longtime fans might have different competitions. So maybe you'll get lucky.

But there isn't any comprehensive repository of detailed results that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    A belated FYI re spelling choices for names of skaters:

Stumbled upon US Figure Skating's style guide (2013-14), and see some spelling "edicts" (my word ) at the very bottom of the last page.
    Not saying that GS must abide by USFS style. Just interesting (IMO) to see that USFS officially has decided to use certain spellings that it recognizes are going against the tide.

Name spellings
    There are names of several foreign skaters, coaches and competitions we have decided to spell differently than some other outlets. For example:
    Evgeni Plushenko (commonly seen as “Evgeny”)
    Nikoli Morozov (Nikolai)
    Marina Zoueva (Zueva)
    Elizaveta Tuktamisheva (Tuktamysheva)
    Ondrej Nepela Memorial (Nepala)
    Yu-Na Kim (Yuna Kim, Kim Yu-Na)
    Rafael Arutunian (Arutyunyan)

http://www.usfigureskating.org/conte...styleguide.pdf (fifteen pages)
    That is a seriously strange style guide. Perhaps the writers on staff have decided to institutionalize their favorite misspellings
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 07-25-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: fix grammar, typos

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    That is a seriously strange style guide. Perhaps the writers on staff have decided to institutionalize their favorite misspellings
    It sure does seem arbitrary. Makes me wonder if there are any real reasons behind it -- other than Doris's suggestion, that is. To me the oddest one is Morozov's b/c the name "Nikolai" is familiar to loads of people outside the skating world. Aside from that, over the years there have probably been dozens of skaters, coaches, choreographers etc. named Nikolai so why mess w/ it now?
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 07-25-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Funny thing is, I only remember Katarina wearing those ugly tan skates. I'm not even sure if it extends the line. What's the point?

Rinkside
    I have a somewhat "stupid" question, rather it's just an observation I've made and I was wondering if there was an actual reason for it. Why is it that the majority of world level ladies single skaters are always so young? Carolina might be an exception to the rule, however, is there a reason that most female skaters hit their prime in their teenage years and retire in their early twenties? Men's skating seems to have an older median age... And then there's pairs and dance, why are those top skaters always a lot older than their singles counterpart? Look at V/T, D/R, the one Chinese pair couple (can't remember their name, sorry) - all those skaters are in their late 20s or even early 30s. Kirsten Moore towers is 22, yet her wish to compete with Michael Marianno for one or two olympic cycles would place her at age 26 and age 30 for the next Olympics, meanwhile that's almost unheard of for singles skaters.

So are there any theories as to why this is?

^ I think the main theory is that little girls can jump better than grown women. (?)

In the olden days (before jumps became so important) I think that many teenaged skaters tried to win amateur championships so that they would have opportunities to skate in shows like the Ice Follies and Ice Capades and make money, and so they left competition as soon as they accomplished this goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ^ I think the main theory is that little girls can jump better than grown women. (?)

In the olden days (before jumps became so important) I think that many teenaged skaters tried to win amateur championships so that they would have opportunities to skate in shows like the Ice Follies and Ice Capades and make money, and so they left competition as soon as they accomplished this goal.
    ^^mathman is correct here. Also, Dance is known to have the oldest competitors because you are able to do so thanks to no jumps.

Page 41 of 85 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast