Page 42 of 69 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Questions Thread

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post
    But basically every Russian girl now wears them. At what point did that happen.
    I think some of them might be the boot covers, Julia's skates are white, but she usually wears boot covers or tights that go over.

Here's a stupid question: What is the purpose behind the gloves that many skaters now wear? (Sometimes built into the costume, but sometimes now even mesh or flesh-colored.) Does it make gripping the skates/blades for the now ubiquitous catch-foot moves easier? Does it keep their hands warm? Is it just a fashion choice? Whatever the reason, why is that it seems to be more common among Russian skaters?

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    From what I've read it's part fashion and function. Those blades are sharp and the gloves prevent fingers from being cut or at least hide bloodied fingers especially in the kiss and cry. :ew: Yulia has almost always had gloves on and I hope she sticks with it. Trademark?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
    Here's a stupid question: What is the purpose behind the gloves that many skaters now wear? (Sometimes built into the costume, but sometimes now even mesh or flesh-colored.) Does it make gripping the skates/blades for the now ubiquitous catch-foot moves easier? Does it keep their hands warm? Is it just a fashion choice? Whatever the reason, why is that it seems to be more common among Russian skaters?
    I think it has to do with the safety and the amount of moves where they grab their blades, Julia has multiple spins and her spiral sequences involve her holding the blade or at least grabbing the blade to get her leg up in the spiral sequence. When learning the moves for protection she probably wore gloves and it just makes sense to keep wearing them in competition because it probably makes her more comfortable doing the moves.

Custom Title
    People have been known to cut their hands while performing Biellmanns, so if I were a figure skater, I'd wear gloves too.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    New stupid questions:
    Is "Senior B" an official ISU term?
    And if so, what is the official definition?
    I have a general understanding of how the term is commonly used. Am wondering about the ISU's official language for what it means. Thanks.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    I'll piggy back that last question somewhat.

Can anyone give me info on the Kinoshita Group Cup Japan Open 2014, Saitama (Oct.4, 2014).

Is it FS only? No SP!
    Is there a webpage?..English preferred

I read that Yulia plans on skating this event but haven't seen any info anywhere.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    ... Can anyone give me info on the Kinoshita Group Cup Japan Open 2014, Saitama (Oct.4, 2014).

Is it FS only? No SP!
    Is there a webpage?..English preferred

I read that Yulia plans on skating this event but haven't seen any info anywhere.
    FS only, according to the ISU page.

Website (with scant content at this point):

Rinkside
    From what I understand, for a senior ladies competitor's free skate there can be no more than 7 jumping passes, second triple jump must be in combination, and of the three combinations- two may be two jump combinations and the third can be a three jump combination.

(Also, pretend this ladies competitor does not compete triple Axel.)

Is this an acceptable planned program?

3Lz+3Toe
    3Fl+3Lo
    3Lz
    3Fl
    3Sal
    3Lo+1Lo+3Sal
    2Ax

Does this work? Or is there a rule, or rules, I am not understanding?

Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 07-30-2014 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DexterK View Post
    From what I understand, for a senior ladies competitor's free skate there can be no more than 7 jumping passes, second triple jump must be in combination, and of the three combinations- two may be two jump combinations and the third can be a three jump combination.

(Also, pretend this ladies competitor does not compete triple Axel.)

Is this an acceptable planned program?

3Lz+3Toe
    3Fl+3Lo
    3Lz
    3Fl
    3Sal
    3Lo+1Lo+3Sal
    2Ax

Does this work? Or is there a rule, or rules, I am not understanding?

Many thanks in advance.

Rules state you can only repeat two different triples. You repeat three triples in your scenario. As a result you can never have more than seven triples if you do not have a 3A.

Rinkside
    Thank you Mrs. P! You are so quick and knowledgable!

Would this be acceptable, while also attempting maximum technical difficulty/gaining maximum points?

3Lz+3Lo
    3Fl+3Lo
    3Lz
    3Fl
    3Sal
    2Ax+2Lo+2Lo
    2Ax

Custom Title

Would this be acceptable, while also attempting maximum technical difficulty/gaining maximum points?

3Lz+3Lo
    3Fl+3Lo
    3Lz
    3Fl
    3Sal
    2Ax+2Lo+2Lo
    2Ax
    That's still repeating three different triples and there's no 3T. Replace the other 3Lo with a 3T and you're good to go.

Rinkside
    Thank you, sorry. I apparently can not add. Thank you again.

3Lz+3Lo
    3Fl+3Lo
    3Lz
    3Fl
    3Sal
    2Ax+2Lo+2Lo
    2Ax
    I think this layout shows (changing one of the 3Lo's to a 3T as suggested by pohata) why the combo with a connecting half-loop is such a cool alternative. Very few skaters can tack a 3Lo onto the back of anything, and even if they can it will probably be downgraded by the tech panel. But you could still do something like post 634 lite:

3Lz+3Toe
    3Fl+2Lo
    3Lz
    3Fl
    3Lo+1Lo+3Sal
    2Ax
    2Ax

Custom Title
    Two things I always wondered about and probably very stupid questions -
    Do skaters have to make a new program every season ?? And
    If a higher level skater moves somewhere else to train (like Gracie Gold from east to west coast, Yulia Lipnitskaya from Urals to Moscow,Yuna Kim from Korea to Canada..) who pays for their accommodation and flight and such? Do they have to pay themselves or does their union/federation pay?

Page 42 of 69 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast