Page 43 of 76 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Questions Thread

hot pink shorts
    Quote Originally Posted by starlight97 View Post
    Two things I always wondered about and probably very stupid questions -
    Do skaters have to make a new program every season ?? And
    If a higher level skater moves somewhere else to train (like Gracie Gold from east to west coast, Yulia Lipnitskaya from Urals to Moscow,Yuna Kim from Korea to Canada..) who pays for their accommodation and flight and such? Do they have to pay themselves or does their union/federation pay?
    No, skaters don't have to get a new program every season. Lots of skaters reuse programs or bring back programs - examples include Hanyu's SP these past two seasons, Ashley Wagner bringing back her Samson and Delilah LP, etc etc.

It depends on the federation. I don't know for sure about the specific examples you gave, but when Hanyu moved from Japan to Canada I believe JSF paid for the cost and continues to pay for his coaching. However, Fernandez gets no help from the Spanish skating federation and the expenses from his training and living are paid out of his own pocket.

Banned
    Do you think GP would be better structured more like auto racing or something.

All the top skaters at each GP. Points given based on what place they finish. Points leader at the end of the year is the GP champion.

Have the usual GP's only with more time added between them. (possibly reduce the number) and no need for a GP final.

And have two tours like major league and minor league. 1 and 2 or whatever. If a skater has a bad season at the 1 level then the next season they are demoted to the 2 tour. If a skater has a great year on the 2 tour then the next year they are bumped up to the 1 tour.

I think this would be more exciting for the fans because youd see the top people compete against each other more and would create more rivalries. It would also clear out from the GP's skaters that really don't belong there.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    I really like GPF. The top six performers from the season going head to head. I like it better than most Nationals events too.

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    I have this question: is there any jump that ladies often do better than men? I mean thanks to their bone/hip structure maybe there is something could help them with advantage over men when it comes to some certain jumps.
    Thank you!

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    I have this question: is there any jump that ladies often do better than men? I mean thanks to their bone/hip structure maybe there is something could help them with advantage over men when it comes to some certain jumps.
    Thank you!
    Possibly the loop? That's just from my personal experience. I could never do even a single loop reliably and all the girls who I skated with had great ones.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post

All the top skaters at each GP. Points given based on what place they finish. Points leader at the end of the year is the GP champion.

Have the usual GP's only with more time added between them. (possibly reduce the number) and no need for a GP final.

And have two tours like major league and minor league. 1 and 2 or whatever. If a skater has a bad season at the 1 level then the next season they are demoted to the 2 tour. If a skater has a great year on the 2 tour then the next year they are bumped up to the 1 tour.

I think this would be more exciting for the fans because youd see the top people compete against each other more and would create more rivalries. It would also clear out from the GP's skaters that really don't belong there .
    But that would be adding 4 competitions for each skater, even with putting more time in between the competitions it would still be adding the length to the season - and possibly increase injuries and wearing down the skaters before the 'big' events, Nationals/Euros/Worlds.

I think this would be more exciting for the fans because youd see the top people compete against each other more and would create more rivalries. It would also clear out from the GP's skaters that really don't belong there.
    That's a cool idea, and very much different from the past history of the Grand Prix. There used to be something called the North American championship, which alternated in location between the U.S. and Canada. Neither could trust the other to provide fair judging, so the championship collapsed in the 1970s and was replaced by two separate events, first Skate Canada and later Skate America. These were independently organized events where select international skaters would be invited to compete agains the homegrown champions. Later other national skating federations got in the act by sponsoring similar competitions.

When Ottavio Cinquanta became ISU president, his goal was to round up all figure skating into the ISU corral. He organized six of the most prestigious local events into an ISU Championship Series. (He couldn't use the title "Grand Prix" in the first season because of copyright concerns vis-a-vis other sports.) The idea of the Grand Prix Final was to bring the winners of each of the individual events together in a big showdown of champions. Since an individual skater might win two or more of the individual national events, it was necessary to invite some of the second place finishers as well. For instance, in the first "Championship Series" (1995-96) there were five events. Michelle Kwan won Skate America, Skate Canada and Nations Cup (Germany), Josee Chouinard won Trophee de France, and Lu Chen won NHK. The field was filled out by second and third place medalists.

To me, it would not be a bad idea to go back to that format. Forget the ISU. If any national federation wants to hold a skating contest and invite international participation, go for it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Neither could trust the other to provide fair judging, so the championship collapsed in the 1970s and was replaced by two separate events, first Skate Canada and later Skate America.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Anyway, I'm fine with the current GP format. It'll be cool if skaters could attend all GPs since it'll give international fans more chances to see them. But the logistics of doubling the number of GP competitions they attend, both in terms of time and resources... I'm afraid it'll end up a little like season rankings/who survives the wipe-out/who manages to remain uninjured... not very indicative of who was the best skater.

Custom Title
    I think the cost would be astronomical for the federations and the skaters if all the top skaters participated in the GP competitions. I like the format the way it is and I think they do a good job of deciding who will compete where.

It's not broke. let's not try to fix it -IMO.

Rinkside
    My question is stupid and not directly related to skating, but is the girl on the second picture Elena Ilinykh?

http://www.jerseygardens.com/trends/...7/clh-acss-sho

Banned
    Is it illegal to do a splits in a program?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jimeonji View Post
    No, skaters don't have to get a new program every season. Lots of skaters reuse programs or bring back programs - examples include Hanyu's SP these past two seasons, Ashley Wagner bringing back her Samson and Delilah LP, etc etc.
    I think Ashley should just skate to Samson and Delilah from now on to the end of her competitive career. Was there ever another program that suited a skater so well?

You mean in the air? No, not to my knowledge. Sasha Cohen was the last person I saw do one though, as part of her spiral sequence in 2010.

Banned
    No, on the ice.

I don't think so. Too cold.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/spor...mb-500x261.jpg

Page 43 of 76 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast