Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 46 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

karlowens2

On the Ice
It's still there. Here is one.
I searched for Michelle's Olympic long and Sarah's showed as a related link. :)
By the way didn't Tara do 2 3-3s?

Thanks for link. When I go there it says video doesn't exist. I'm in Germany and sometimes my access is blocked. Don't remember about Tara - only remember her 3L-3L

gourry

Final Flight
Thanks for link. When I go there it says video doesn't exist. I'm in Germany and sometimes my access is blocked. Don't remember about Tara - only remember her 3L-3L

Hm... Weird. Is it geoblocked? How about this one? Hope this link works.

Tara did 3L-3L and 3T-1L-3S. It's pretty close to 2 3-3s imo. :p

DarR

Rinkside
Hi people! I just wanted to ask any experts around here as to how one should determine the take-off edge in a Lutz/Flip jump. For me, I've been under the impression for the past three years that the edge of the jump on the left skate is determined when the right toe pick first hits the ice.

Would anyone be able to ascertain or correct this impression of mine?

Thanks!!

Peggy Fleming's winery closed in 2011. Anybody know the reason?

I think they just decided to retire. According to this article, listing their home for sale for $4.4 million dollars. "Fleming says she and her husband are selling in an effort to downsize and slow their lives down a bit."

“We purchased the home about 35 years ago,” Fleming said. “It had no landscaping, but it had privacy and a gorgeous view and we fell in love with it. And over the years, we remodeled and kept it up the date. We raised our two sons here, and they had this adventure of growing up here in privacy with nature and the entire view of the valley.”

The property is actually two parcels; one holds the family home, and the other was purchased later to secure the family’s privacy, eventually becoming home to their vineyard.

MalAssada

Medalist
Yeah, I'm here again but I think this question is fair: If the IOC chose a place in South America to host Winter Olympics...

1-Is this possible?
2-Assuming it is, the event would happen around July, right?
3-Would this be a good or a bad thing for athletes?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Hi people! I just wanted to ask any experts around here as to how one should determine the take-off edge in a Lutz/Flip jump. For me, I've been under the impression for the past three years that the edge of the jump on the left skate is determined when the right toe pick first hits the ice.

Would anyone be able to ascertain or correct this impression of mine?

Thanks!!

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?50474-Identification-of-Jumps/page2

The subject of jump ID is one that everyone gets interested in when they become a serious fan, so we have a reference thread that has explanations and links to Ed. videos. Gkelly's post number 22 has the best flip/Lutz explanation .

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Yeah, I'm here again but I think this question is fair: If the IOC chose a place in South America to host Winter Olympics...

1-Is this possible?

There is some level of provision for this. However, you must keep in mind that the IOC is very beholden to the broadcast networks that transmit its competitions. In fact, the American broadcast rights represent a great portion of the IOC's income and operating budget. The American broadcast network thus gets to make certain 'calls' with the IOC. As you might imagine, one of those is that the broadcast network (NBC and its affiliated cable networks, for many years now and many to come) doesn't want the Olympics to cut into other sports seasons that it might have the rights to. So, for example, NBC would like the Summer Olympics to be done before NFL season and things like that. The IOC has written into its own regulations a window of opportunity as far as dates for the Summer and Winter Olympics. If any potential applicant city wishes to propose to hold the Games outside those windows, they have to apply for a special dispensation. For example, when Doha bid for the Summer Olympics, both times it failed to make the shortlist, with the primary reason being the timing of the games (they proposed to hold the games in September/October to avoid intense heat). And that was even after talking to the IOC about the scheduling, and with higher technical scores in other areas than some bidders that did advance to the shortlist.

There is a lot of talk about the idea of a sub-equatorial Winter Games. While potentially more possible than moving the Summer Games out of the late July-early August timeframe, keep in mind that the Winter Games are held the same year as the World Cup, which takes up a great portion of that summer. In many (most?) the Winter Games would pale in popularity to the FIFA World Cup.

Here are some general pros and cons of the idea of the a southern hemisphere Winter Games.

FOR:
-spreads Winter Sport to new areas of the world
-would help develop summer training venues for athletes from northern climes

AGAINST:
-timing for broadcast networks - potential conflicts with other sports telecast contracts
-would potentially come into conflict with the World Cup in particular
-would northern audiences (representing the majority of Olympic audiences & IOC funding) tune in for a Winter Olympics held in the summer?
-conflict with the traditional seasons for Winter athletes and federations- for example, in figure skating, northern hemisphere summer is the time skaters work on their new programs. Would they skate new or old programs? Would they have time to prepare for the subsequent season? How would ISU judges and officials handle getting their summer getting cut short? etc etc
-Southern hemisphere interest in winter sports has traditionally been fairly low and few to no locations have shown interest in bidding for winter events
-Therefore, southern hemisphere locations have little hosting experience (mandatory for a competitive bid). South America is considered to have a lot of potential to create great ski venues, but it hasn't quite materialized. One place that HAS pursued off-season skiing is New Zealand, where many skiers train in the off-season. However, even they haven't shown much interest in hosting events, and would probably struggle to get them because of the aforementioned off-season issues
-The southern hemisphere countries with the goods to host Winter Olympics (eg a ski slope with 800 m vertical drop) tend to also have lower GDPs, so hosting would financially be more of a challenge for them.

As you can see, the challenges mostly outweigh the potential positives. I admit I find the idea of a southern hemisphere Winter Olympics fascinating. And I do think there is a much greater chance we will see a southern hemisphere Winter Olympics one day than a out-of-window Summer Olympics again.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

1-Is this possible?

I'm an Olympic junkie so I'd love to field this question.

1. It is hypothetically possible, yes; but will it ever happen? Never. Some of the logistics kind of tie in with your second question. First, there really isn't a major city with a cold enough climate to host a WOG. The only major city with that kind of weather is Santiago, Chile and they simply don't have the funds to host something as major as the Olympics nor would they want to seeing as they are not a major country in any kind of Olympics (6 athletes in Sochi). The only other areas cold enough to host a WOG are in southern Argentina which doesn't have a major city with the infrastructure to host. It would require a Sochi-type of phenomenon where a city is built from scratch.

2. The Sydney Olympics were held in late September which was their late winter/early spring. But seeing as how the WOG must absolutely be held in the winter due to the snow sports it would have to happen in June/July like you said.

But that's brings us with a major problem. The WOG are always held in the same year as the World Cup which happens around June/July so there is no way that would ever happen.

3. It would probably not be good for the athletes. Athletes aim to peak at the Olympics and postponing it 4-5 months would be detrimental. Looking just at figure skating, Europeans would be in January, Worlds in March with the Olympics in July. Not very good. Holding it at the same time as the World Cup would also rob the winter athletes of the attention they deserve since there would be no competition between these two events.

So in short, it will never happen.

MalAssada

Medalist
Thank you very much for the explanation. I guess I will have to go overseas if I ever want to watch Winter Olympics :scowl:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skiing_in_Australia

Chile is not the only the only southern hemisphere country with skiing.

Australia has done quite well in the Winter Olympics, particularly in freestyle skiing.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_at_the_Winter_Olympics

It sent 60 athletes to Sochi.

And Australia had successfully hosted a summer Olympics, which is a bigger event than the Summer games.

However, conflicts with FIFA World Cup are just as important for Australia as other southern hemisphere venues.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight

Australia has done quite well in the Winter Olympics, particularly in freestyle skiing.

And Australia had successfully hosted a summer Olympics, which is a bigger event than the Summer games.

However, conflicts with FIFA World Cup are just as important for Australia as other southern hemisphere venues.

Doris, AFAIK, Australia does not have a mountain that has both snow in the winter and an 800 m vertical drop. New Zealand has mountains that meet the specification but I don't think Australia does. From an economic perspective, Australia would be a more viable host than New Zealand, but FIS specifications eliminate it.

I'm happy to be corrected on this, but in discussions I've seen of this topic in the past (I hang out on a forum that discusses Olympic bids), that was the conclusion.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

You're absolutely right.

But 'bellflower' had specifically asked about South America hosting a WOG, which is why I only talked about countries in that continent. :)

If I were including all countries in the southern hemisphere, I would say the mostly likely candidate would be New Zealand.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I wonder if any areas have winter start early enough that they could have them in maybe April or May, i.e. after World's but not by much, but before the world cup? That would not actually be that much of a deviation from the season. Once it is cold enough for snow stay put and not melt, you can manufacture it, truck it in, etc. That could actually be a lot of fun. Then the World Champion of that year has to defend at the Olympics, or miss going to the Olympics. Could be a lot of fun. . . and really why not have the most important one come last/after Worlds?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if any areas have winter start early enough that they could have them in maybe April or May, i.e. after World's but not by much, but before the world cup? That would not actually be that much of a deviation from the season. Once it is cold enough for snow stay put and not melt, you can manufacture it, truck it in, etc. That could actually be a lot of fun. Then the World Champion of that year has to defend at the Olympics, or miss going to the Olympics. Could be a lot of fun. . . and really why not have the most important one come last/after Worlds?

I think a South American winter Olys would be fascinating, but impractical for the reasons mentioned. I have been to Bariloche, Argentina (in S. American summer), but it won't start snowing there until very late May, and the high is still in the 40s.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
Possibly the dumbest question yet: How come when some jumpers do double toes or double loops it distinctly looks like they only did one rotation?

DarR

Rinkside
Possibly the dumbest question yet: How come when some jumpers do double toes or double loops it distinctly looks like they only did one rotation?

I'll be able to explain with regard to double loops. In the mechanism of the loop jump, when skaters lift from the ice, most of them would have pre-rotated half a turn; this is acceptable. Skaters are allowed up to a quarter of turn of under-rotation when they land, so this makes an effective 1.25 revolutions in the air sometimes, making it look like they only completed one turn in the air!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
^ It's the same for toe-loops and people often pre-rotate those jumps more than even just a half-turn, meaning they aren't even getting 1.25 revolutions in the air (and should be penalized as an underrotated jump).

Eclair

Medalist
One more stupid question: There is this russian pair: Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov - they can't be tarasova's daughter and morozov's son, can't they? ^^'