Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 48 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

mrrice

Record Breaker
Unless irregular, Russian surnames ending in '-n' or '-v' will only get the '-a' enclitic like Sotnikov-a and Sharapov-a. Russian surnames ending with a '-y' will get the 'aya' enclitic like Lipnitsk(y)-aya.

It has to do with Russian phonetics and what sounds euphonic or whatnot, I guess. There really isn't a reason why, it just is. :laugh:

Polish surnames work the same way. I had an organic chemistry professor 2 years ago who's surname was Slowinska and there was another chemistry professor named Slowinski. I thought it was funny and coincidental how two people with similar surnames were working in the same department until I found out they were married and their surnames change according to gender. Pretty cool, I think.

Thank you, and yes, it's very cool. I have only been to Russia once and I was on tour with Coca Cola. Unfortunately, we would arrive in a city, sing, meet some dignitary's and leave. Our tour of Russia was much shorter than our usual 45 days due to lack of bookings so our managers didn't have us learn the language. In other countries we learned the basics however, in Russia we had a translator so, we never learned Russian.

I loved being there as I found the people we met to be very "Real" I don't know if that's the right word but, when you can't speak, due to the language barrier, you look into peoples eyes a lot more, at least I did.

I just loved how much I could feel from the people I met by the way they looked at me. In fact, it was almost a pain to hear what they were saying in English from our translator because, I could almost " Feel " what they saying in their eyes. Genuine and sincere.

I hope that made sense.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Interesting! Does it work outside of Russia as well? For example, would a 3rd generation Russian-American woman do that?

No, AFAIK, it doesn't. That's why you have Nastia Liukin (and not Liukin-a), Tatiana Golovin (Golovin-a) and so on.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I always thought Tara would have been helped if she went by Tara Lipinskaya. Kwan wouldn't have had a chance.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Isn't Tara of Polish descent? Wouldn't it not apply to her then?

Well, I always asssumed Tara was of Polish descent anyway. And, I don't know how Polish names work.

However, I do know about Czech and Slovak names. They also use the "-ova" suffix. So, that's how you get siblings called Michal Brezina and Eliska Brezinova. Incidentally, the "-ova" is a posessive. So, in Eliska's case, she "-ova" means she "belongs" to her Dad. And if she got married, adding the "-ova" to her husband's name would mean she "belonged" to him.

So, for this reason, some Czech/Slovak women are not taking on the "-ova" suffix when they get married.

It may not be very politically correct, but I think it's nice to keep traditions alive.

But, getting back to the Russian names, I have often wondered what is the male version of names that end in "-sheva".

Take Liza Tuk's Dad. Was he Sergey Tuktamy? Sergey Tuktamyshev?

CaroLiza_fan

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Well, I always asssumed Tara was of Polish descent anyway. And, I don't know how Polish names work.

However, I do know about Czech and Slovak names. They also use the "-ova" suffix. So, that's how you get siblings called Michal Brezina and Eliska Brezinova. Incidentally, the "-ova" is a posessive. So, in Eliska's case, she "-ova" means she "belongs" to her Dad. And if she got married, adding the "-ova" to her husband's name would mean she "belonged" to him.

So, for this reason, some Czech/Slovak women are not taking on the "-ova" suffix when they get married.

It may not be very politically correct, but I think it's nice to keep traditions alive.

But, getting back to the Russian names, I have often wondered what is the male version of names that end in "-sheva".

Take Liza Tuk's Dad. Was he Sergey Tuktamy? Sergey Tuktamyshev?

CaroLiza_fan

Tuktamyshev should be correct. I think all Slavic languages have these endings - my sister in law is Macedonian and it's the same pattern.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Jeremy Fans, why does that guy scream what sounds like ALEXANDER ! before Jeremy skates. It clearly has meaning, at least to him. Does anyone know the story ?

Poice

Final Flight
Isn't Tara of Polish descent? Wouldn't it not apply to her then?

I think her original surname was ,,Lipiński" but in Polish it's a male version of this surname. In Polish we often (not always, it depends on surname...) add "a" to women's surnames so in Poland she'll be called ,,Tara Lipińska".

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Brooklee Han skates for Australia, but was born in New York. I can't find anything on either of her parents, so I've been curious about when/how she got Australian citizenship, as she represented Australia at the Olympics. It's just been bugging me since I watched her in the Nebelhorn exhibition and thought I'd ask!

Amei

Record Breaker
Brooklee Han skates for Australia, but was born in New York. I can't find anything on either of her parents, so I've been curious about when/how she got Australian citizenship, as she represented Australia at the Olympics. It's just been bugging me since I watched her in the Nebelhorn exhibition and thought I'd ask!

Her father is Australian.

http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/athlete/brooklee-han

Commonly, if you were born overseas on or after 26 January 1949 to an Australian citizen parent, you may be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship by descent

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/how_to_apply/born_overseas/

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I think her original surname was ,,Lipiński" but in Polish it's a male version of this surname. In Polish we often (not always, it depends on surname...) add "a" to women's surnames so in Poland she'll be called ,,Tara Lipińska".

That's really interesting, thanks for sharing!

Also I have a question, are there rules in who can sit with you in the K&C? Is it coaches and/or officials from the federation only? I've seen David Wilson fill in when Brian Orser couldn't attend a competition for Yuzuru Hanyu before but that was a Senior B so I'm just curious.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
Another Q: In the NBC video for Yuna's SP, she does her double axel right before the NBC timer in the corner says BONUS at 1:25. She did it at around 1:23. Was this a mistake? Is the jump supposed to be in the bonus?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Also I have a question, are there rules in who can sit with you in the K&C? Is it coaches and/or officials from the federation only? I've seen David Wilson fill in when Brian Orser couldn't attend a competition for Yuzuru Hanyu before but that was a Senior B so I'm just curious.

Anecdote from the Salt Lake City Classic this year (one of the ISU Challenger competitions):

After his SP, Balam Labarrios of Mexico sat alone in the Kiss and Cry. No coach had traveled to SLC with him.

John Coughlin was attending SLC as a pairs coach for Team USA, and his heart went out to Labarrios. After offering to accompany him to the FS, Coughlin sat by his side in the FS Kiss and Cry. (IIRC, Coughlin had taken it upon himself to introduce himself -- don't think the two had ever met previously.)

Coughlin later gave a touching comment along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing), "It's hard enough to compete a long. No one should have to do it alone."​

It is a nice story unto itself ... and it would seem to indicate that an official coaching relationship was not an ISU prerequisite for joining a skater in the Kiss and Cry.

Amei

Record Breaker
That's really interesting, thanks for sharing!

Also I have a question, are there rules in who can sit with you in the K&C? Is it coaches and/or officials from the federation only? I've seen David Wilson fill in when Brian Orser couldn't attend a competition for Yuzuru Hanyu before but that was a Senior B so I'm just curious.

It's also Pooh: (sorry can't make it clickable - the link button is missing from the Quick Reply)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2We0Buy09w

Last edited by a moderator:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a question that may have been answered somewhere on the forum.

Can anyone explain how someone moves up from one level to the next in skating competitions? Specifically Junior to Senior level? Clearly it's not age, b/c we have some Senior level ladies skating at 15, while some Juniors are 17. I've been watching some of the JGP events, and I don't really understand the difference besides program length.

I know there are some other levels like novice, too. How do those work?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I have a question that may have been answered somewhere on the forum.

Can anyone explain how someone moves up from one level to the next in skating competitions? Specifically Junior to Senior level? Clearly it's not age, b/c we have some Senior level ladies skating at 15, while some Juniors are 17. I've been watching some of the JGP events, and I don't really understand the difference besides program length.

I know there are some other levels like novice, too. How do those work?

ISU levels is mainly driven by age.
Novice: Minimum 10 years; Maximum 15 years
Junior level: Minimum 13 years; Maximum 19 years (21--for now-- for guys in pairs/dance; that could change next season))
Senior: Minimum level 15 years for GP and all ISU championship)

Skates are required to meet those age requirements by July 1 of the previous year. So for 2014-2015, you were required to be at least 13 years old to be at the Junior level by July 1 of this year. Or if you turn 20 AFTER July 1, you can still compete at the junior level.

The decision to move up depends on variety factors including:
1.) Ability to do require elements in SP
2.) Whether you would be ahead in ISU ranking points by staying at a certain level
3.) The status of those older than you (i.e. US/JPN guys staying junior longer due to the number of guys still competing on the senior Grand Prix, for example)

At the domestic level, it's more about whether you pass certain tests, at least in the U.S. So you can be a senior at anytime as long as you pass the tests, which is why you have plenty of 12 and 13 year olds in seniors though they're not old enough to be senior at the international level.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?33807-Question-about-Junior-amp-Novice-levels <---- this has quite a bit of discussion on this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

lefeury

Rinkside
hey all, This is probably a stupider question than most so forgive me, however, I can't seem to add a profile pic to my profile. Any directions would be great.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks, Mrs. P. I will check out that other thread, too!

So someone can be a senior level skater in their own country but b/c of age restrictions be junior on the international level. I know that the Olympics has age requirements as well.