Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 50 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Icey

Record Breaker
Rohene ward said in 2013 that he planned to return to competitive skating in 2014? Has he?

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I haven't worked on this much lately because the Olympic-related threads are closed so there's no particular venue to put analysis of them now, plus nowadays I'm working more on school stuff (i.e. dissertation-related research) rather than on this.

Vanshilar, good luck w/ your dissertation! Of course that has to be your priority. If you ever feel like coming back to the jump analysis, though, you might start a thread in the "Reference" forum. I think a lot of GS members would be very interested.

Again, all the very best to you.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Rohene ward said in 2013 that he planned to return to competitive skating in 2014? Has he?
I wonder... maybe he was joking. Rohene and competition don't go along well in my book. Poor him, such a talent but...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

He was going to do the 2013-2014 Olympic season, but AFAIK, the only competition he did was Senior Jumps at the 2013 Broadmoor Open where he placed third.
Results
Senior Men Jumps (8 competed; 6.0 judging)
Jason Brown (UGL) straight 1sts across 7/1
Jordan Moeller (UGL) 7 4 2 2 2 2 2 5/2
Rohene Ward (Indiv Member) 2 3 3 4 4 3 4 4/3
Brandon Mroz 4 2 6 3 5 4 7 4/4
Brian Krentz (UGL) 6 5 5 7 3 6 3 4/5
Paul Bonifacio Parkinson (ITA) 5 6 4 5 6 8 8 5/6
Lukas Kaugars 7 7 8 6 7 5 6 6/7
Spencer Simon (UGL) 3 8 7 8 8 7 5 4/7

Results from Sylvia at Unseen Skaters
http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/2013/06/

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
1. I was looking at the protocols from 2012 Canadian Nationals (how nerdy of me ;)) and came across something strange. The first element in Patrick Chan's FS is listed as 4T+2T+C. What on earth does the C refer to? Patrick's 2012 Worlds FS has no C but instead has the normal 4T+3T designation. Other skaters at Canadian Nationals also have Cs attached to some elements. Did Skate Canada decide to award extra bonus points at Nationals or something? Here's the protocols.

2. In Patrick Chan's 2010 Olympics Ex, I think he starts off doing compulsory figures and then does a wally. Is that correct? (See the first 40 seconds of this video). What I love about this is that he is paying homage to Mr. Colson by starting Yesterday with the basics of skating that he learned from him.

elle_e

On the Ice
1. I was looking at the protocols from 2012 Canadian Nationals (how nerdy of me ;)) and came across something strange. The first element in Patrick Chan's FS is listed as 4T+2T+C. What on earth does the C refer to? Patrick's 2012 Worlds FS has no C but instead has the normal 4T+3T designation. Other skaters at Canadian Nationals also have Cs attached to some elements. Did Skate Canada decide to award extra bonus points at Nationals or something? Here's the protocols.

It appears as if the computer system at Canada's nationals tacked on the C's at the end of every jump combo. They also have +S for jump sequences.

2. In Patrick Chan's 2010 Olympics Ex, I think he starts off doing compulsory figures and then does a wally. Is that correct? (See the first 40 seconds of this video). What I love about this is that he is paying homage to Mr. Colson by starting Yesterday with the basics of skating that he learned from him.

He does start with figures but he actually does a double toe, not a wally.

Why is a flutz not scored as a flip?

I think the official explanation is that a Lutz jump is defined by more than just the outside edge takeoff. In shortcut abbreviations people usually list: outside edge, Lutz; inside edge, flip; as if that is all there is to it.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
He does start with figures but he actually does a double toe, not a wally.
Oh ok thanks. Without the running landing edge I assumed it was a different jump. Here's another performance where the double toe doesn't have a running landing edge. At 2008 Canadian Nationals, he did a double loop instead, with more flow on the landing.

Gosh, it's nice to see a current skater who can still do figures. :) I would imagine it's not commonly taught anymore. Am I right?

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
It appears as if the computer system at Canada's nationals tacked on the C's at the end of every jump combo. They also have +S for jump sequences.
Ok thanks for the explanation. It makes sense, although I don't know why the computer system would do that. The + between the jumps is sufficient in my book. Now I know why I couldn't find anything about a +C designation elsewhere on the internet.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Well, what he's doing are not really "compulsory" or "school" figures since he's combining different skills on the same circle and not repeating patterns on both feet let alone retracing them, so the patterns don't match what would have been done in figures competition.

But they are demonstrations of figures-type skills.

Very few rinks/clubs offer patch ice any more, so it would be hard to train school figures to the kind of exacting standards that were expected when they were part of competition.

Some older coaches may teach the technique for various turns on full figures-sized circles before incorporating those turns into the less-exacting patterns needed for the current tests (Moves in the Field in the US, Skating Skills in Canada) or IJS step sequences.

Icey

Record Breaker
So....is it Wally or Walley? Most people spell it Wally but most online sources spell it Walley.

Speaking of Wall(e)y jumps...
https://recordsetter.com/world-record/Consecutive-Wallies-Ice-Skates/3344
I get tired just watching.

Was named after American skater Nate Walley, so it is "walley". It is sometimes was called the Pat Low jump (in Britain), as some believe he invented the jump. Believe that skater was from Scotland. It is not considered a jump in judging, but a transitional movement.