Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 51 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

The actual [erson that the jump is named after is Nate Walley, so I think that should be the correct spelling.

Here is a picture of Nate Walley in an article about his student, Doug Austin, being the Next Big Thing in the Ice Capades. In those days skaters tried to win amateur contests like U.S. Nationals, the Olympics, etc., so they could get a job with the big skating shows.

By the way, if you read the article there is a joke at the end end of the second paragraph. Seattle is referred to as a "suburb of Spokane" in this story from the Spokane newspaper.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Well, what he's doing are not really "compulsory" or "school" figures since he's combining different skills on the same circle and not repeating patterns on both feet let alone retracing them, so the patterns don't match what would have been done in figures competition.

But they are demonstrations of figures-type skills.

Very few rinks/clubs offer patch ice any more, so it would be hard to train school figures to the kind of exacting standards that were expected when they were part of competition.

Some older coaches may teach the technique for various turns on full figures-sized circles before incorporating those turns into the less-exacting patterns needed for the current tests (Moves in the Field in the US, Skating Skills in Canada) or IJS step sequences.
Thanks, as always, for sharing your wealth of skating knowledge, gkelly! :)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Why is a flutz not scored as a flip?

Most flutzes I see are more like rough edges, not quite a flip, also the skater tends to hold the outside edge then switch at the take off so they still have the counter rotation

It is also worth noting that there are concerns about Zayak issues with scoring a flutz as a flip.

The skater is not likely to know they flutzed until after the program. So if they Flutz their first Lutz, then other planned Flips may be Zayaked. So there is an argument that it really would only be fair to the skater if the skaters is somehow alerted to the Flutz call in the program so they can make adjustments. Doubling a later planned flip jump would be better than a zero for a Zayak violation.

Given that different tech panels have different standards it can be hard to expect the skater to know in the heat of the moment how it will be called. I'm sure many skaters can point to times where they feel they got away with an edge that was far more egregious than ones they were called for.

In short. . . it is not scored as a Flip do to the headache it would cause.

Johar

Medalist
Is It true that if a figure skater tried to skate on a speed skate track they won't be able to toe pick into the ice because it's too hard from being maintained at a cooler temp?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
How do skaters clean their costumes?

Rarely and stressfully would be my guess!

I have known belly dancers that run their hand beaded costumes (that can easily cost over $1k) at home using Dryel and raved about it, I would hope figure skating costumes would hold up at least as well.

In reality costumes tend to get stinky. That is just the nature of costumes. One of the reasons I have seen cited that Star Trek TNG redesigned their uniformed after two seasons is that they were just starting to smell way too rancid and they needed a more launderable fabric (Also it was killing Patrick Stewart's back)

Frankly, I bet a lot of them are very very stinky.

Icey

Record Breaker
How do skaters clean their costumes?

I don't know, but I remember one season when a Canadian skater's mom foolishly put her daughter's costume in the wash. It shrank and the skater had to compete in her practice dress. lmao

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I don't know, but I remember one season when a Canadian skater's mom foolishly put her daughter's costume in the wash. It shrank and the skater had to compete in her practice dress. lmao

Did mom foolishly put it in the wash or did daughter foolishly put it in the laundry pile ;)

concorde

Medalist
Some rinks have the hockey sanitizing machines that remove the stink from hockey gear. Figure skating outfits can go in those.

Alisa

On the Ice
When I'm watching ice dance, how do I tell the difference between a twizzle and a pirouette?

gkelly

Record Breaker
When I'm watching ice dance, how do I tell the difference between a twizzle and a pirouette?

From the USFS rulebook:

DG 6.21 Twizzle (Twz): A traveling turn on one foot with one or more rotations, which is quickly rotated with a continuous (uninterrupted) action. The weight remains on the skating foot with the free foot in any position during the turn, and then placed beside the skating foot to skate the next step. A series of checked three-turns is not acceptable, as this does not constitute a continuous action. If the traveling action stops during the execution, the twizzle becomes a solo spin (pirouette).

So I guess that would be if the skater(s) spin in one spot rather than covering ice as they turn.

Also the tracings would probably be little circles or loops rather than a series of curves and points, but you wouldn't likely be able to see that on video or from a distance.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

A twizzle is a multi-rotational turn on one foot.
For example: here is a video of Davis/White doing twizzles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKRri02LUR0

Isn't the distinction that a twizzle travels across the ice, whereas a pirouette does not?

ETA:
Thx to gkelly. :) I was writing my reply at the same time that you were posting yours.​

Alisa

On the Ice
Thanks for the great answers! I've been curious for a while, as I'm usually lurking and sometimes I see posts about 3 turns or pirouettes during twizzles.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In ice dance, if one or both of the skaters trying to twizzle instead spin (pirouette) in place, without travelling across the ice, levels are lost.

One level is deducted if one or two of the set of 4 rotations are pirouettes
Two levels are deducted if three or all four of the set of 4 rotations are pirouettes

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just wondering if tech experts know how fast skaters go when they are preparing for a jumps? When Yuna goes into her 3/3 she looks so fast I am just curious if anyone has a general idea of the speed skaters reach when they are going into a jump?

Thanks

Revisiting this question, b/c this tweet is relevant (emphasis added):

Pj Kwong ‏@skatingpj
Who knew @Pchiddy went into 4T/3T combo at 25 km per hour? @craigbuntin of @veriskate did! Upcoming @openkwongdore podcast! #interesting
12:25 PM - 16 Oct 2014
https://twitter.com/skatingpj/status/522830655130845188

@Pchiddy is Patrick Chan, in case anyone does not know.

VeriSkate is figure skating analytics software (yet to be launched) that "measures the speed, height, jump distance, rotation and ice coverage of skaters in competition."

noskates

Record Breaker
Golden, thanks for the information on VeriSkate. Had to happen. I wonder if they'll ever use something like that to judge.............eek!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Golden, thanks for the information on VeriSkate. Had to happen. I wonder if they'll ever use something like that to judge.............eek!

More about VeriSkate:

The software is a step beyond Dartfish, Buntin says.

“We’re measuring the speed overall in a program, how fast skaters are accelerating, the power output,” he said. “We know how much time skaters are spinning in their programs versus how much time they are accelerating versus how much time they are standing there, doing artistic things in a stationery spot.

“We can measure the actual ice coverage for a footwork sequence. Inch by inch, we can tell much ice skaters are covering. So we know, more or less, how difficult a program is.”

Needless to say, the software would be an excellent tool for media and broadcasters and it could also be one more valuable aid to judging officials.

http://www.skatecanada.ca/2014/07/craig-buntin-turns-technology-advance-sport/ (July 2014)​

Buntin is the Athlete Ambassador for Skate Canada International in Kelowna, so perhaps some reporters will ask him for a status update on VeriSkate at that time.

unico

Final Flight
More about VeriSkate:

The software is a step beyond Dartfish, Buntin says.

“We’re measuring the speed overall in a program, how fast skaters are accelerating, the power output,” he said. “We know how much time skaters are spinning in their programs versus how much time they are accelerating versus how much time they are standing there, doing artistic things in a stationery spot.

“We can measure the actual ice coverage for a footwork sequence. Inch by inch, we can tell much ice skaters are covering. So we know, more or less, how difficult a program is.”

Needless to say, the software would be an excellent tool for media and broadcasters and it could also be one more valuable aid to judging officials.

http://www.skatecanada.ca/2014/07/craig-buntin-turns-technology-advance-sport/ (July 2014)​

Buntin is the Athlete Ambassador for Skate Canada International in Kelowna, so perhaps some reporters will ask him for a status update on VeriSkate at that time.
Thank you for the information, golden! In the future, it would be really interesting if this kind of analysis could become available to the public i.e. as another pdf released alongside the protocols. It would be interesting to compare speeds at the beginning of the program versus the end, and obviously between skater to skater. I would love to know stuff like how fast is Max Aaron or how long exactly is Han Yan's monstrous 3A!! :eek: