Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 53 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
Well that is really stupid....I was just thinking about jumps and I don't know how is called jump with five turns. I know single, double, triple, quad, but as nobody jumps with more than 4 turns and as I'm not a native-english speaker I don't really know it.

unico

Final Flight
Do we have any footage of anyone landing quints off ice?

I think there was a Russian (Plushy maybe) that claimed to have landed a quad axel off ice. . . wondering if there is any cool footage like that.

I believe you're thinking of Ilia Kulik. Plushenko was the one who said that he thinks 4As are possible, but with skating equipment as it is, quintuples are not. Or maybe it was Mishin who said that?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Hmm so if a quadruple is shortened to a quad, then a quintuple would be shortened to a quint. If someone could do 6 rotations, then it'd be called a sextuple. I wonder how the commentating would go at that point...

Probably by calling it a "sext" and putting heavy vocal inflection on the T, unless you are Johnny Weir and you likely he will try to throw out as many double entendre as he can get away with .

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Probably by calling it a "sext" and putting heavy vocal inflection on the T, unless you are Johnny Weir and you likely he will try to throw out as many double entendre as he can get away with .

Sexting (sex+texting)? Pretty sure we won't have to worry about a sextuple anytime soon though. :)

Icey

Record Breaker
I believe you're thinking of Ilia Kulik. Plushenko was the one who said that he thinks 4As are possible, but with skating equipment as it is, quintuples are not. Or maybe it was Mishin who said that?

I think Mishin said a lighter skate would be needed.

gkelly

Record Breaker
What does it mean to land backwards?

The standard jump landing is a back outside edge.

Most jumps happen on curves, ideally with the skater traveling along along the same circle going into and coming out of the jump (opposite direction circle for a lutz, making an S-shaped path between entry and exit).

On the landing, the skater and the skate blade should be facing pretty much the same direction as on takeoff, with allowance for the fact that the travel path is curved. Or 180 degrees opposite for axels, where the takeoff was facing forward.

If the jump is fully rotated in the air, the blade will be correctly positioned to travel backward along that path by the time the blade meets the ice: landing backward. This is correct.

If the rotation in the air is incomplete, then the blade will be sideways or diagonal to the anticipated landing path, or even facing forward into the path of travel if the rotation is 180 degrees less than it should be. There may be additional rotation on the ice to get the blade into the correct position (so-called "cheating" the landing). Or there may be more serious problems with the landing.

If the skater lands backward, i.e., with the blade in the correct position, the jump would be considered complete and earn full credit for rotation (other errors, if present, would be reflected in GOE).

If the skater lands (with the blade facing) sideways to the landing path, the jump will be considered underrotated (<).

If the skater lands facing forward to the direction of travel, the jump will be considered downgraded (<<).

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Why do different disciplines use the same point values for standard (non-throw) jumps?

Wouldn't it be more fair to apply a separate points system for men and women? Like a 3A for a man can be the standard 8.5 and the women can have theirs raised? It always bugged me that Mao Asada was always pushing herself to do this insane jump and was never properly rewarded for it. And I'm sure when a lady begins to land a quad, it won't be worth keeping in a program as well.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Why do different disciplines use the same point values for standard (non-throw) jumps?

Wouldn't it be more fair to apply a separate points system for men and women? Like a 3A for a man can be the standard 8.5 and the women can have theirs raised? It always bugged me that Mao Asada was always pushing herself to do this insane jump and was never properly rewarded for it. And I'm sure when a lady begins to land a quad, it won't be worth keeping in a program as well.
I completely agree with this. 3A is a standard jump for men, but the value should be raised for women, to reflect how difficult it is and how few people could do it.

firal

Record Breaker
So I'm streaming Skate America and seeing people in the audience take pictures throughout the skates. Is that allowed everywhere? I had assumed no filming/picture taking during the competition. How about during practices and medal ceremony? Not that I had to take pictures when I go, but I'd like to know the rule before heading off to Skate Canada...:p

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
So I'm streaming Skate America and seeing people in the audience take pictures throughout the skates. Is that allowed everywhere? I had assumed no filming/picture taking during the competition. How about during practices and medal ceremony? Not that I had to take pictures when I go, but I'd like to know the rule before heading off to Skate Canada...:p

In most sports, you can take pictures during a competition as long as the flash is off. Not too sure about FS, though.