Page 55 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Questions Thread

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    golden411 -- thanks for the link for the Rippon lutz; very impressive.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    Judges put in their score as the elements come up on the screen, which is about a 10 second delay after the skaters do the element. If there is a <, << or e added to the element after the program is finished they have about 30 seconds to fix their scores then.
    Thanks! If they have to keep looking at their screens with a 10 second delay, though, aren't they missing the live routine in front of them?

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by satine94 View Post
    This may not be especially stupid, but I was wondering about World Championship ticket prices and general info. I want to go in 2016 in Boston (very far away, I know) but I would like to know what I'm to expect. I searched for info about Worlds but got only bits of information. I was wondering when is the earliest they usually will be put up for sale? ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Risa View Post
    Does anyone know when to expect the 2016 world championship ticket packages to be made available for purchase?
    @Worlds2016 is starting to tease the launch of the website.

Tickets will go on sale during Fall 2014, per @HashtagJimmy (in charge of social media for @Worlds2016).

Rinkside
    What was the reason Canada didn't send any ladies skaters to the Nagano Olympics? Did they not qualify for even one entry?

Quote Originally Posted by SarahSynchro View Post
    What was the reason Canada didn't send any ladies skaters to the Nagano Olympics? Did they not qualify for even one entry?
    Well a quick glance at the 1997 World Championships shows that the only Lady they sent had to withdraw so they may not have qualified for an entry. Not sure exactly what is done in that type of situation in terms of getting a spot back. I am not sure what is/was needed for a single spot.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by StitchMonkey View Post
    Well a quick glance at the 1997 World Championships shows that the only Lady they sent had to withdraw so they may not have qualified for an entry. Not sure exactly what is done in that type of situation in terms of getting a spot back. I am not sure what is/was needed for a single spot.
    WD counts as "skater didn't make it to the free skate" under the rules at the time. I assume Canada didn't end up qualifying any skaters due to that rule.

Rinkside
    Hmm, makes sense. This leads me to another question: why hasn't Canada been able to produce any champion ladies skaters? Sure there were Joannie and Liz with podium finishes at Olympic and world competition, but no world or Olympic champions since Barbara ann Scott... Is there a theory to explain why this is? The years between Calgarys Olympics and vancouvers Olympics were just so ughh for Canadian women: Josee: I never liked her, Jennifer Robinson: I'm definitely not a fan, I remember thinking back to watching her in Salt Lake City and thinking "this is the best Canada can do?" ... To me, although she was older than the average senior level women's competitor, her skating never really looked like a senior level women's competitor, her artistry and technique was comparable to that of a junior or even movie skater. Blah. And Don't get me started on Lesley hawker, Cynthia, and especially mira Leung, bleccch. Though from browsing the archive I see that dead horse has been beaten to death one too many times.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahSynchro View Post
    Sure there were Joannie and Liz with podium finishes at Olympic and world competition, but no world or Olympic champions since Barbara ann Scott...
    No Olympic champions, but Petra Burka and Karen Magnussen were both world champions and Olympic medalists.

On the Ice
    Looking forward to my first live GP season here are my two stupid questions:

1) For those days when you plan to be at the rink pretty much all day(from mid-morning to after dinner hour), what do you do about eating? I assume most rinks prohibit outside food and checs bags when you enter, so does that means we are left with expensive hot dog and pizza?

2) For competitions that only have all-day tickets available(no single event ones), I think it is reasonable some people who bought the tickets would only want to see certain events(ex.men's, pairs, etc.), and only enter the rink around that time. Is that quite common? Is so, for someone like me, who wants to see the whole thing but do not have great seats, can I move up a few rows during those empty times? Stealthily?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    You are limited to what food there is available in the rink..& sometimes it is hotdogs and pizza, but sometimes there is a broader selection of food available.

Again, whether you can move up or not depends on how stringently seating is enforced by the venue..some do and some don't.

Bring a multivitamin with you. Trick your body into thinking you ate something healthy with nutritional value. You may be surprised at how much better you feel and how long you go before being hungry again when you take the vitamins. I frequently feel hunger very soon after eating junk, but if i get something decent in me (usually do the nutrition drinks, but can't bring them in as easily) it makes a ton of difference.

The cost still sucks, but it might help you end up feeling better and spending less money.

Also, see if there is chance that they have vending machines. If they do, go through your change collection, grab everything "silver" (In the USA that is everything over the penny, but obviously other countries will be different, basically all the coins the machines take) and put it in a baggy. You likely have more money in dimes (10 cents) than you think. I have done this when playing care giver in the hospital, I was glad I did.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    You are limited to what food there is available in the rink..& sometimes it is hotdogs and pizza, but sometimes there is a broader selection of food available.

Again, whether you can move up or not depends on how stringently seating is enforced by the venue..some do and some don't.
    I would say at most venues you can move up, and more than just a few rows, though it depends both on the venue, the section you are in, and the specific event (moving up during the ladies LP tends to be hard, for example :P). It can also depend on the specific guard guarding that specific aisle- you might be shot down once and walk down a few sections and slip into a seat without issue. Sometimes (very rarely) they will even tell you you can move down/encourage you to.

At the end of the day though, you should buy seats you can live with... it is possible you'll be stuck with them.

And yes, the food situation tends to be unfortunate.

Tripping on the Podium
    how many calories does a skater burn during a long program? lol

Is Kanako Murakami related to Daisuke Murakami?

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    Is Kanako Murakami related to Daisuke Murakami?
    No. Murakami is a very popular surname in Japan. Takahashi, Honda Suzuki are also the most popular surnames.

Page 55 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast