Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 68 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
All federations are entitled to send one entry per discipline.

For some years there were qualifying rounds and only the top 30 skaters went on to the short program final round.

Most recently there have been minimum technical scores, so now all federations are entitled to send one entry per discipline who has achieved the minimum score.

The scores for Worlds are set high enough that many smaller federations will not have any qualified skaters.

Ah, that's what I was thinking. Thank you!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I don't know if this question has been asked/answered (and I'm not going to read 89 pages of posts to find out), but are Tanith & Peter actually @ the GPF or in a studio back in the US as they commentate?

I don't know about the Americans, but I am pretty sure the Eurosport guys were in a studio.

Another question related to the production of TV coverage at competitions.

In all the years I have been watching various LIVE sports on TV, I have often been in admiration of how well the host broadcasters can put together a comprehensive highlights package just a matter of seconds after something has finished.

Like, how do they have time to select what clips to use?! Even when making a highlights package from a short thing like a figure skating programme, it must take a lot of time to find the clips you want to include, trim them down to size, piece the clips together, and everything.

It begs the question: when they have so much work to do putting it together, do the producers then have enough time left to actually check what they have included in the highlights package before it is broadcast?

The reason I ask is that sometime this season, a host broadcaster showed a highlights package after a routine, and it included a slow-motion clip which clearly showed a partial nip-slip.

Now, for obvious reasons, I am not going to tell you what skater it was, what category she competes in or what competition it was at (and anyway, I can't actually remember where it happened!)

I don't know much about the production of TV programmes, so that is why I am asking you, in the hope that somebody here does.

But, my own thought is that surely there should have been somebody checking the highlights packages for general quality who could have spotted this before it was broadcast.

There's not much that can be done to avoid something like this being shown in the LIVE part of the broadcast, but it can easily be avoided in the parts that are not LIVE.

So, for me, there is no excuse.

CaroLiza_fan

grantrf98

On the Ice
I don't know about the Americans, but I am pretty sure the Eurosport guys were in a studio.

Another question related to the production of TV coverage at competitions.

In all the years I have been watching various LIVE sports on TV, I have often been in admiration of how well the host broadcasters can put together a comprehensive highlights package just a matter of seconds after something has finished.

Like, how do they have time to select what clips to use?! Even when making a highlights package from a short thing like a figure skating programme, it must take a lot of time to find the clips you want to include, trim them down to size, piece the clips together, and everything.

It begs the question: when they have so much work to do putting it together, do the producers then have enough time left to actually check what they have included in the highlights package before it is broadcast?

The reason I ask is that sometime this season, a host broadcaster showed a highlights package after a routine, and it included a slow-motion clip which clearly showed a partial nip-slip.

Now, for obvious reasons, I am not going to tell you what skater it was, what category she competes in or what competition it was at (and anyway, I can't actually remember where it happened!)

I don't know much about the production of TV programmes, so that is why I am asking you, in the hope that somebody here does.

But, my own thought is that surely there should have been somebody checking the highlights packages for general quality who could have spotted this before it was broadcast.

There's not much that can be done to avoid something like this being shown in the LIVE part of the broadcast, but it can easily be avoided in the parts that are not LIVE.

So, for me, there is no excuse.

CaroLiza_fan

My answer may be wrong but I have been wondering the same thing. I think that the broadcasting people mark whenever the skater does a jump/spin/step sequence/etc, without reviewing them prior, obviously because it's live and there is a small amount of time to do that. Referring to what you noticed, that was misfortunate and somebody should have caught that, but maybe she was moving so quickly that it was hard to catch at the first go in real time. Also, from watching the rebroadcasts by NBC, I know that they edit a lot of stuff (because they have time, i.e. the GPF rebroadcast this weekend), including those wardrobe malfunctions, skaters' sorrow in the K&C, and even skaters in the 2nd group. However, whoever's back there, they deserve to be recognized because that must be a very difficult task that requires sleight of hand and quick hand-eye coordination. And let's hope that doesn't happen in the future.

ioanablabla

On the Ice
Country
Romania
Do skaters get super-dizzy during spins? They must be, but probably they get use to it. But how do they manage to just go ahead with the program as nothinghas happened?
And do they wear anything under their costumes? This one might sound a bit weird but I was wondering... it's a sport... do the girls have a sport-bra under it?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Do skaters get super-dizzy during spins? They must be, but probably they get use to it. But how do they manage to just go ahead with the program as nothinghas happened?
And do they wear anything under their costumes? This one might sound a bit weird but I was wondering... it's a sport... do the girls have a sport-bra under it?
I think there was one fluff piece where Peter Carruthers talks about how, during spins, skaters focus down to the balls of their feet. If they're well balanced, the spin will stay centred (and the spinner less dizzy). Skaters can't spot because they're going way too fast.

Unfortunately, I don't have the link to the fluff piece anymore... it should be on Youtube somewhere.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice

Yes, you can get super dizzy during spins. However, you usually get sufficiently acclimated to it that you don't feel as dizzy after practicing as you might have at first. I know that the only times I really have trouble with dizziness are when I haven't skated in weeks. Otherwise I'm generally fine, even when doing a headless scratch spin.

As for undergarments, I think most don't but some, especially those with larger chests, probably do. A lot of costumes will have the necessary structure built in.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has anyone or any team skated to purple rain by the artist formerly known as Prince? The costuming would be epic!!

Have you seen Jason's *first* costume for the Question of U? A full-on duplicate of TAFKAP's ruffles and all? I think there's a reason he changed it. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to4kYooOlLo
(another you-tube vid where Controversy Music boneheadedly asserts copyright. Oh well, shooting themselves in the foot)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I was watching Jordan Moeller's FS from sectionals and noticed does a jump with both his hands kinda on his head over his ears. I like it actually especially with this music. But I am not sure I have seen this one before (then again I missed it the first time I watched Jordan's program, so who knows how observant i really am).

Have we seen this variation/position before? Do we have a name of it? Assuming it is not already named, what does he have to do to get it named after him?

It seems arm positions are here to stay, and I suspect we will keep seeing new variations (Dornbush does one of his jumps with both hands behind his back, and I think Jason Brown has done one with one in front one it back not sure they are the first at either of them, I think others have done those). We may as well start naming them or at least maybe decide on how to name them. Is there a formal process?

concorde

Medalist
Skaters can't spot because they're going way too fast.

Actually they can but they are taught not to. I want to say about 10 years ago there was a male elite skater (I think from France) that spotted. It was really "different" to watch. I remember the commentators mentioning it every time he skated.

ks777

Record Breaker
Actually they can but they are taught not to. I want to say about 10 years ago there was a male elite skater (I think from France) that spotted. It was really "different" to watch. I remember the commentators mentioning it every time he skated.
It was Kevin Vander Perren from Belgium.

ks777

Record Breaker
Why is it called Camel spin? Always wondered.. ***

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

The origin of the spin's name is disputed. Most authorities believe that the name originated when a skater performed the spin with her upper body and free leg drooping down, giving the illusion of a hunched camel. According to figure skating coach Gustave Lussi, the spin was invented not by Cecilia Colledge but by an Australian skater named Campbell, thus explaining that "Campbell spin" became afflicted into "camel spin".

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I should've phrased that better, my bad. The fluff piece said something about spotting being bad for your neck, so skaters don't try. I guess it didn't really say you can't. Thanks for the info.