Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 75 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Alchamei

Record Breaker
When we are talking about 3-3, I want to ask, why so few skaters do 3Lo-3T? Is it difficult to put 3T after Loop jump?

lefeury

Rinkside
I have a question about Gracie Gold. I'd like to know where and when has she skated both short and long programs clean. I'm not good at finding statistics.

When we are talking about 3-3, I want to ask, why so few skaters do 3Lo-3T? Is it difficult to put 3T after Loop jump?

I think it has to do with how there is less speed coming out of edge jumps. If you want to tack on a 3T, you need sufficient speed on the landing of the first jump which is easier to do with toe jumps.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Thank you, gkelly and taltaltel. I guess I'd count the 1Lo combos if they did it with a different first jump. (For instance, I'd count Tara's 3T-1Lo-3S, since she uses loop and salchow to begin her other 3-3s, but for Surya's 3T-3T and 3T-1Lo-3S, I see both as 3T combinations, if that makes any sense).

Nice to see footage of the elusive 3Lo-3T. I guess this puts Elena Sokolova top of the pile with 3-3s on loop, lutz, salchow, and toe. I wonder if someone could try to do all five in competition one day... it doesn't seem worth the hassle, but it'll be a nice record. :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Question about terminology:

Why is it called a Short Program and a Free Skate? I think I prefer the terminology Free Program or FP much better. What's the point in naming them this way?

gkelly

Record Breaker
I think it goes back to the days when the distinction was between compulsory figures and free skating.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm not sure if it's been asked before...but how come in the Olympics they don't show the little box with the Leader and Current scores in it? They do it at Euros and Worlds, so why not the Olympics? I find it very useful, and it helps in knowing why so and so got a certain score rather than having it pop up in the Kiss and Cry and going :scratch:

creaturelover

On the Ice
I'm not sure if it's been asked before...but how come in the Olympics they don't show the little box with the Leader and Current scores in it? They do it at Euros and Worlds, so why not the Olympics? I find it very useful, and it helps in knowing why so and so got a certain score rather than having it pop up in the Kiss and Cry and going :scratch:

that seems to be a new thing that started at Worlds 2014

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker

Why is it called a Short Program and a Free Skate? I think I prefer the terminology Free Program or FP much better. What's the point in naming them this way?

I think the better question is why it's called a "free" skate/program. Not so free, really.

Long Program was better.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

B.J.T., before Janet Lynn and Toller, we didn't have short programs. We had schools (compulsory figures) and the free skate (no compulsory moves). The short program was introduced sometime in the early 70s to reduce the effect of the compulsory figure on crowd pleasers and amazing "free skaters" such as Janet and Toller.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
B.J.T., before Janet Lynn and Toller, we didn't have short programs. We had schools (compulsory figures) and the free skate (no compulsory moves). The short program was introduced sometime in the early 70s to reduce the effect of the compulsory figure on crowd pleasers and amazing "free skaters" such as Janet and Toller.

I tried to amend my previous idiotic comment to thank you and oopsidentally erased the whole thing.

Anyway...thanks for the response. Sometimes I skate with a coach who is bonkers for figures. It would seem the answer was right in front of me but then again....this is the stupid questions thread. A majority of my posts probably belong here anyway. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

For a while, the terminology used on US TV coverage was Short Program and Long Program. However, the Isu labels the long program Free Skate in schedules and protocols.

Even I have given in and call it the free skate :slink:

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Does anyone know of any clips of Adam where he says his last name? I am tired of all the variations of how to pronounce it, and at this point I just want to hear it from his own lips.