Page 8 of 71 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Questions Thread

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyk75 View Post
    1) At the 88 Olympics, all the skaters had to include a double loop in the short program's jump combination? Why? What was so special about the loop? And was that a common rule to require specific jumps in combinations?
    Nothing was particularly special about the loop, except that like the toe loop it can be performed directly from the landing of a previous jump.

Yes, between 1973 and 1988 the short program always specified one of the jumps in the combination (usually alternating between toe loop and loop), and also specified the solo jump and the solo spins and the shape of the step sequence. It wasn't until 1989 that skaters were given more free choice in those elements. And juniors still have some specified elements that alternate in a three-year cycle.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyk75 View Post
    Two new dumb questions for the experts:

1) At the 88 Olympics, all the skaters had to include a double loop in the short program's jump combination? Why? What was so special about the loop? And was that a common rule to require specific jumps in combinations?

2) I remember the technical mark was the tiebreaker for the long program in 88, allowing Boitano to win. But at every Olympics since then in the 6.0 era, the artistic mark was the tiebreaker, enabling Baiul's win. Was that change heavily discussed at the time? It seems like such a significant change with huge ramifications. I wonder what rationales were used by the officials.
    During the 80s the single jump in the short program was pre-designated (ISU rules), (don't know when that rule started) but that changed in the 1988 ISU Congress in Davos, Switzerland to allow for the skater to choose the jump used. Also changed was increasing the SP elements from 7 to 8 and renamed the "original" program. Also at that Congress the free skating (and ice dance free) was changed to make the second mark (composition and style) the "tiebreaker."

I don't recall a lot of fuss over any of these changes.

Tripping on the Podium
    Very interesting! Thank you

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Nothing was particularly special about the loop, except that like the toe loop it can be performed directly from the landing of a previous jump.

Yes, between 1973 and 1988 the short program always specified one of the jumps in the combination (usually alternating between toe loop and loop), and also specified the solo jump and the solo spins and the shape of the step sequence. It wasn't until 1989 that skaters were given more free choice in those elements. And juniors still have some specified elements that alternate in a three-year cycle.
    Maybe they should bring back some of the stricter requirements. Say, alternate between toe loop and loop as required combination jumps (either double or triple), alternate between flying sit/camel, cycle the step sequence pattern (Ci/Sl/Se)?

Custom Title
    I forgot to add that at the 1988 ISU Congress, the biggest area of contention was the elimination of the Compulsory Figures at ISU competitions, which was slated to begin after 1990 Worlds.

Custom Title
    Why is everyone really pessimistic today?

Quote Originally Posted by invisiblespiral View Post
    Why is everyone really pessimistic today?
    People is really pessimistic every day. We talk about happy things until someone else feels the need to needle us and then it all goes downhill from there.

It's like this forum is one giant unhappily married couple.

(Joking.)

Custom Title

Problems with favorite skater being a giant headcase?

Rinkside
    I was watching clips of the 1982 World Championships earlier. The required jump in the SP, for the combination jump, was the double flip!
    Some of the ladies were doing 2f-3toe, while others were opting for easier double-double combinations (2f-2r or 2f-2t).

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    Thanks for the info! I would imagine it's probably best to keep roomies close in age, yet not in direct competition with each other. For example a Meryl/Marissa combo or Gracie/Felecia combo would work out well. Same thing goes for the gents, of course.
    Team USA roommate updates:

- A. Shibutani/Brown/Bartholomay
    https://twitter.com/AlexShibutani/st...34364988440576 (incl. fun photo of the trio -- at the airport, I think?)
    http://instagram.com/p/kFBLZETXAL/ (photo from @jasonbskates of his side of the room)

- Zhang/Wagner
    https://twitter.com/felicia_zhang/st...64033268883456 (incl. photo of scenic view from their room)

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Team USA roommate updates:

- A. Shibutani/Brown/Bartholomay
    https://twitter.com/AlexShibutani/st...34364988440576 (incl. fun photo of the trio -- at the airport, I think?)
    http://instagram.com/p/kFBLZETXAL/ (photo from @jasonbskates of his side of the room)

- Zhang/Wagner
    https://twitter.com/felicia_zhang/st...64033268883456 (incl. photo of scenic view from their room)
    Hey, thanks for posting this. Love that Jason made his place cozy and the ladies' view is quite enviable

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    Hey, thanks for posting this. Love that Jason made his place cozy and the ladies' view is quite enviable
    And this just in:
    M Shibutani and Gold are roomies, posing together here decked out in their official Opening Ceremony regalia:

Based on the caption of Jason's Instagram, I think USFS staff personalized his area to welcome him/make him feel at home ... wonder whether they did the same for all Team USA skaters??

As I have described in previous threads, Scott Moir's half of his room was one of my favorite parts of the aforementioned Patrick Chan video tour of their shared suite in Vancouver. On the wall above his bed, Scott had displayed a long and perfectly straight row of what looked like fan letters from school kids. Adorable. And whereas Patrick's and Bryce's bedding remained unkempt from the previous night, Scott had made his bed very neatly. Adorable x 2.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    So...where do I go to get the Jason poster??

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    And this just in:
    M Shibutani and Gold are roomies, posing together here decked out in their official Opening Ceremony regalia:

Based on the caption of Jason's Instagram, I think USFS staff personalized his area to welcome him/make him feel at home ... wonder whether they did the same for all Team USA skaters??

As I have described in previous threads, Scott Moir's half of his room was one of my favorite parts of the aforementioned Patrick Chan video tour of their shared suite in Vancouver. On the wall above his bed, Scott had displayed a long and perfectly straight row of what looked like fan letters from school kids. Adorable. And whereas Patrick's and Bryce's bedding remained unkempt from the previous night, Scott had made his bed very neatly. Adorable x 2.
    The girls look so cute, maybe they have a big room and Polina will be with them? And the Canadian guys' room, so funny. Personally, it would drive me batty to room with people who don't make their beds, but we're talking about guys here Hope all are squeezing every bit of enjoyment out of this!

Custom Title
    Why is tumblr so creepily obsessed with Yuzuru Hanyu?

Page 8 of 71 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast