Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 81 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What's the best way to find seasons best scores by discipline? Lets pretend I am interested in ladies SB for the SP :p

http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2014-15/sbtslsp.htm

THat's the exact link.

However it's an easy pattern.

sb2014-15 = change the years for different seasons (2013-14; 2012-13, etc)

sbtslsp.htm = season best total scores ladies short program

Change the last three letters (in bold) for the following
msp = men's short program
mfs = men's free skate
mto = men's total
lsp = ladies short program
lfs = ladies freeskate
lto= ladies total
psp= pairs short program
pfs=pairs free program
pto = pairs total
dsd = dance short dance
dfd = dance free dance
dto = dance total

Last edited:

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
I am watching Todd Eldridge and Michelle Kwan at worlds 1996. I noticed during Todds skate that Brian Boitano is commentating. How long did he commentate for? Was it just a few events? I think he does a good job.
Just curious.
Thanks.
According to Christine Brennan's book "Inside Edge" Boitano commentated 1997 & 1998 USAs for sure, at least the men's competition.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I have a silly question, what the heck is up with that DubeMoir blog? There are tons of people who read it and think Tessa has a hidden secret baby? Seems like a lot of work for a silly rumour...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://thevane.gawker.com/the-ultimate-tutorial-for-writing-slimy-internet-hoaxes-1635979926

Have you ever wanted to get millions of hits on your blog without having to use one bit of your brain? Would you like to create a hoax disguised as satire in order to bring home a traffic bonanza? Do you aspire to be a slimebag? Boy have I got the tutorial for you!

The blogger can have two possible motivations:

1. The Secret Baby Blogger is cray cray

or

2. When you create a hoax based on a shocking claim, it is human nature to click on it.to see what it is about. More clicks is related to more ad revenue. The Secret Baby Blogger may be greedy and not too honest.

Last edited:

randomfan

Record Breaker
Why do some skaters have their final jumping pass as a combination/sequence? If they miss the first jump then they would just get +COMBO along with negative GOEs and then it's all over. Example: Elena Radionova does 3Lo-2T at the end of her FS and at Europeans she almost fell on the 3Lo. So if she did fall or step out then she would not be able to complete the combination. Even worse she won't get credit for any jumps after that since she finished all her jumping passes. Maybe it could be trying to impress people, but isn't it a risky move?

TMC

Record Breaker
Had a random thought just now. Back in the day singles skaters had to perform so called school figures. Pairs skaters basically do the same stuff as singles skaters, apart from the lifts/throws. Did pairs skaters used to have to do figures in competition like singles skaters?

gkelly

Record Breaker
Had a random thought just now. Back in the day singles skaters had to perform so called school figures. Pairs skaters basically do the same stuff as singles skaters, apart from the lifts/throws. Did pairs skaters used to have to do figures in competition like singles skaters?

No.

Originally pair skating only had one phase of competition, the free skating. In the 1960s a short program was added to give them some required elements to be compared on apples to apples. Later the singles short program was modeled on what already existed for pairs.

Most pair skaters also started out training as singles skaters, including training the school figures. But they never had to do them in competition as part of a pairs competition.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
What was the last major ISU or Grand Prix competition in the Men category that was won without a landed Quad? I'm thinking there must be one in the last year or so? But I can't think of any.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
What was the last major ISU or Grand Prix competition in the Men category that was won without a landed Quad? I'm thinking there must be one in the last year or so? But I can't think of any.

Are you talking about GP events and ISU Championships only? I know Jason Brown won Nebelhorn this season without one

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Are you talking about GP events and ISU Championships only? I know Jason Brown won Nebelhorn this season without one

I'm assuming Newbie is asking about 4cc/Euros/Worlds/GP.

For GP: In 2010, Daisuke Takahashi won Skate America with no quad (though he won NHK that season with one). Tomas Verner won COR without a quad (though Patrick Chan landed one in the SP; he lost cause of a zayak in the FS). In 2011, Michel Brezina missed all his quads in competition but won due to his lead in the SP (but the guy who won the FS, Kevin Van Der Perren did! KVDP!!) Daisuke Takahashi did not have a ratified quad (4F< in the FS) in winning 2011 NHK Trophy. Tatsuki Machida did not have a landed quad to win Cup of China in 2012 (He fell on his 4T).

As for Worlds, 2010. Daisuke Takahashi attempted a 4F but it was not ratified. Patrick Chan, for all his imperfections won Worlds 2011-2013 with quads.

And Euros, Florent Amodio won the overall competition in 2011 w/o a quad, but Brian Joubert won the FS with one.

Last edited:

The Finn

Record Breaker
My question is related to the situation when a pair skater, or an ice dancer, wants to represent a different country. A country she has no nationality of.
Can anyone provide me a link to the rules which will explain how this will work? For example multiple times I have read that the previous federation represented had agreed to release the skater who wanted to go elsewhere. I assume this is something that must happen before she or he can represent for another country. What happens if the previous federation doesn't release the skater? They can't prevent her or him representing another country indefinitely.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My question is related to the situation when a pair skater, or an ice dancer, wants to represent a different country. A country she has no nationality of.
Can anyone provide me a link to the rules which will explain how this will work? For example multiple times I have read that the previous federation represented had agreed to release the skater who wanted to go elsewhere. I assume this is something that must happen before she or he can represent for another country. What happens if the previous federation doesn't release the skater? They can't prevent her or him representing another country indefinitely.

See ISU Rule 109, on pp. 106-107 here:

See also ISU Communication No. 1420:

And see also this GS thread re Massot:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Additionally, France will not release ice dancer Tiffany Zahorski to Russia."indefinitely"

USFSA held up ice dancer Morgan Matthews for 3 years at least from skating in other countries.

Sometimes odd deals were done. Japan traded Russia a van for Alexei Tikhonov's release

Perhaps someone has to give France a van????

Last edited:

The Finn

Record Breaker
A Skater may compete for the Member of the country of which he is not a citizen if he fulfils the following conditions:
i) he has resided for at least one year in that country and has been permitted to compete for that Member by the National Association of the country of which he is a citizen, or he has resided for at least one year in that country and he (or his parents if he is not of age) has applied for citizenship in that country.

I don't know if I got it right but according to the rules single skaters don't need to be released from their previous federations but all they need is to apply a citizenship. But those who are pair skaters or ice dancers needs the be released by their previous federations. Is that right? It seems to me that the rules put skaters of different events in a very unequal position. The only way for a pair skater or an ice dancer to get around these rules is to get the citizenship of the country they want to represent? After that they are cleared to compete, right?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And if course, wait out the required waiting periods.

There is an out for dancers/pairs.

Exceptions to paragraphs 2 & 3 of this Rule may be granted by the Council, which may also enter a Competitor for an event (see also Rule 115, paragraph 5 and Rules 130 and 131). A Competitor nominated by the ISU does not count in the quota of the country of his citizenship or residence. The Council may also reject an application from a Member for a permission that a Skater who has or had foreign citizenship may compete for that Member, although the formalities and requirements stated in this Rule have been met, if in the opinion of the Council granting such application would be contrary to the purpose and spirit of the Rule. (e.g. in case that a Member tries to “import” several athletes with foreign citizenship, in particular when such athletes should form a new national team of such Member or its substantial part).

There is a lot of imprecise language; I await seeing what happens to Massot and Zahorski.

Last edited:

The Finn

Record Breaker
Has there ever been a proposal or any kind of discussion about making it possible for a country to send 4 skaters/pairs in one event in the world championships?

In other sports, like athletics for example, the current world title holder has his own personal spot for the next championships and therefor the country he/she represent can send 4 athletes in that event. I think similar system would suit very well in figure skating too.