Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 85 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The double Axel and the double jump of the year were specified in the 1990-1991 and 1992-1993 season when Tonya and Midori did their 3A2T combinations. Consequently, if they wanted to show their triple Axel in the SP, the only way to do it was in the combination.

It is so strange to see both ladies follow up on huge triple Axels by putting in a deliberate double jump!

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
There are 2 additional women who have landed 3A in international competition: Ludmila Nelidina (RUS), Yukari Nakano (JPN). Kimmie Meissner landed a 3A at U. S. Nationals in 2005.

uhh

Medalist
Is there a reason where there are so few flutzers in men but on the other side, why there are more lippers than in ladies?

I don't think anyone's proven anything, but the main theory I've heard is that it's down to upper body strength. Skaters who don't have the strength to check their pre-rotation and hold the outside edge will come back onto the inside edge for their take off. Conversely, skaters with a lot of upper body strength who can check the rotation really well may end up overdoing it on their flip and coming onto the outside edge instead.

gkelly

Record Breaker
The double Axel and the double jump of the year were specified in the 1990-1991 and 1992-1993 season when Tonya and Midori did their 3A2T combinations.

Actually, the specified double jumps only lasted through the 1988 season. In 1989 through 1994, the solo jump out of steps for ladies could be any double jump (except double axel, since that was required as the solo axel jump). Most skaters went for either 2Lz or 2F.

Only the jump combination allowed and later required one triple, which could include triple axel.

The rest of your post is true. :)

I don't think anyone's proven anything, but the main theory I've heard is that it's down to upper body strength. Skaters who don't have the strength to check their pre-rotation and hold the outside edge will come back onto the inside edge for their take off. Conversely, skaters with a lot of upper body strength who can check the rotation really well may end up overdoing it on their flip and coming onto the outside edge instead.

I've also heard it has something to do with the shape of the pelvis. Could be a combination of both.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
My point was that the solo jump was required to be a double jump. The 2A was required to be a 2A, and couldn't be a 3A. A triple Axel could not be used in either if those 2 jumping passes.. To include a triple Axel in an SP, Midori & Tonya had to do the 3A in combination or not at all.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Yes, that is true.

Whereas the men in the same era had to do (any) triple as the solo jump out of steps. As well as a solo double axel. So if they had a triple axel they would do it in the combination rather than preceded by steps. Except for a couple of guys in 1990 who did triple axel for both the solo triple and the combination, until the ISU decided to close the loophole that allowed doing the same triple in both jump passes.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Does anyone know why Tyler Pierce changed her FS between U. S. Nationals and Jr. Worlds? I thought her FS at Nationals was fairly good. She seemed to connect to the music and hit many of the elements right on beat of the music.

Her FS at Jr. Worlds was completely different and she did very poorly with it. The program itself was empty. It appears that she did not have nearly enough time to become familiar with it. She had underrotations, level 2 footwork and at least 1 spin that was level 2. She also had 3 falls in her FS and I kept thinking why in the world did she change from the program she used at Nationals.

Did anyone notice an article or anything that would explain the change? Thanks!

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Don't senior and junior programs have different lengths? Maybe they felt a new program was better than recutting a senior program.

Personally, I think they figured it was better to get the experience under her belt for next year's program rather than use an untested (internationally) and soon to be retired program. At least this way she has tried it internationally, if she gets some junior grand prix assignments, now she has at least dusted off some cobwebs.

It also may have something to do with a quote Rohene Ward said about her being the type to train hard rather than smart. For someone who feels the need to work hard and push themselves with long hours, learning a new program might be a good strategy to keep them from over training their bodies on stuff that could lead to injury. It might have been a good compromise of letting her train the amount she needs to to feel like she is working hard, but redirecting the activity to a more healthy and productive balance.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
When a skater goes pro and is no longer competing, but continue to do shows, etc. do they still work with a coach or are they all just responsible for keeping themselves in proper form? I would assume they don't need someone looking over their shoulder at all times the way a competitive athlete would, but I wonder how they stay motivated. Also many show skaters still do rather difficult elements, so how do they know if they are still doing them correctly & safely - or is experience enough?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think the matter of how much coaching a pro gets is an individual choice. I have heard that Brian Boitano, for example, continued to work with his coach Linda Leaver after he went pro. Plushy kept working with Mishin.

Globetrotter

Medalist

I also remember reading that other than the upper body strength to check the counter rotation in a true lutz take off, the outside edge is also more stable - this may be particularly so in men who have more of their weight in the upper body (slightly higher centre of gravity) in contrast to women who may have more weight in the lower body and hip areas. Thus, the inside edge take off may actually be slightly more difficult for the guys who may then end up lipping. For ladies with lesser upper body strength, they may find it hard to check the counter rotation and hence flutz.

It really is quite a rarity to find any ladies to have correct edges for both Lz and F while for the men, lipping is an occasional issue even among the most powerful jumpers (Hanyu) and the 3F is a jump that is not particularly enjoyed (Stojko, Plushenko).

kinoriH

Final Flight
Does anybody know where I can find a link (even for download) of CBC pairs free skate from Sochi?

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
a thread for stupid questions?

is there a thread for stupid random questions here...? dont really know where to post this, but was just catching up with the U.S nationals i wonder, what is the etnisity of maia and alex? just out of pure curiosity. theyreboth so beautiful!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
is there a thread for stupid random questions here...? dont really know where to post this, but was just catching up with the U.S nationals i wonder, what is the etnisity of maia and alex? just out of pure curiosity. theyreboth so beautiful!

The Shibutanis are Japanese-American. Maia was born in NYC, and Alex in Boston.

GS has a fan thread devoted to them:

BTW, the Shibs will be appearing live online tonight at 8:00 pm EDT as part of a USFS Google+ Hangout. (It also will be archived on YT.)

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway