Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Can Patrick Chan cope with the pressure of Olympic favouritism?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Lysacek was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his foot more than a year before the Olympics. I don't believe that's quite as serious a setback as what some of the others were dealing with. Joubert and Chan missed competitions during the Olympic season because of their health issues, while Lambiel and Takahashi had to sit out the entire previous season (Lambiel actually retired because it appeared his injury would not be manageable).
    Lysacek's injury was not more than one year before the Olympics. Evan was diagnosed with the stress fracture prior to the World Championships in March 2009. (The diagnosis was shortly after he competed at 4CC, where he landed his last 4T in competition) Part of the treatment required Lysacek to be off the ice for one month in the summer of 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Lysacek's injury was not more than one year before the Olympics. Evan was diagnosed with the stress fracture prior to the World Championships in March 2009. (The diagnosis was shortly after he competed at 4CC, where he landed his last 4T in competition) Part of the treatment required Lysacek to be off the ice for one month in the summer of 2009.
    I stand corrected, it was one year before and not more than a year before. The point I made, and I think it's valid, is that Patrick Chan was one of several top skaters whose 2010 Olympic season was greatly affected by injuries and health issues (of the sort that could not wait for a summer rehab program).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by emdee View Post
    While kozuka is very light on his feet and the way his blade touches the ice is an art form he doesn't have Patrick's very deep edges or his wonderful upper body movements.
    Ironically my fear is that judges will be swayed by armchair judges many who post on these sites. I have spoken to three coaches - two who do not like Chan's style and they said his pcs overall skating skills, trnasitions and choreo should be MUCH HIGHER compared to even good pcs like Dai and Kozuka etc. Chan may have nothing to cope with if those judges listen to these fan oops skating sites.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I stand corrected, it was one year before and not more than a year before. The point I made, and I think it's valid, is that Patrick Chan was one of several top skaters whose 2010 Olympic season was greatly affected by injuries and health issues (of the sort that could not wait for a summer rehab program).
    Point well taken and really a year over a year the point is a lot of time before the olympics!

Custom Title
    OMG a year or over a year it doesn't matter. Evan had far more time to heal than other skaters.

Custom Title
    If this article's link has been posted somewhere, I apologize to post it here:

Patrick Chan golden at Skate Canada

"I was nervous, honestly," Chan said. "I started having the (negative) feelings I had last season. . . It was really challenging even before I got on the ice to stay positive, and remember the things that I wanted to repeat that I had in the short program — looking forward to going out there, to look forward to doing the quad, but not looking too far ahead, doing one quad at a time and then moving on."
    As the world's most dominant skater for three seasons, he's easily the man to beat in Sochi. He boasts the physical tools to take him to the top of the podium, but says this season is all about the mental game.

"It's not about physically being prepared but mostly being mentally prepared, because I think that's the only thing that held me back (last season)," Chan said. "When I think of being aggressive and being really focused, I get too serious and I start to stress too much, and think of the little things."
    Another article:

Patrick Chan’s move to Detroit meant split with mom

Chan’s mom Karen was travelling in Europe when he won his fourth Skate Canada International title Saturday. The trip was her way of “coping with the separation” the skater said, after he moved to Detroit without her — a split that wasn’t a mutual decision.
    the absence of his mom was remarkable considering she’d basically been the boss of Team Chan for his entire career, acting as everything from his manager to his chauffeur and his cook.
    He’s diligent during the week, maintaining a strict training schedule and diet, but he “lets loose” on the weekends. He eats what he wants, and makes a point of enjoying his time off the ice. He golfs or works on his car. It helps him cope, he said, with the grind of training.

He didn’t allow himself that luxury before the Vancouver Games, where he finished a disappointing fifth after having his sights set on a medal.

“I was narrowly minded: ‘It has to be this way or I’m going to lose the medal.’ It had to be this perfection in life and perfection in skating,” he said. “This Olympics I’m approaching differently, I’m teaching my body to adapt in different situations, so that when I get to Sochi I’m not so focused on, ‘Oh my god, because I ate pasta that’s not gluten-free, I’m going to lose this competition.’”

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Fascinating stuff, Bluebonnet. Thank you for posting it. I really hope Patrick can maintain his mental fortitude this season!

Custom Title
    He has maintained the mental fortitude and then some with his triumph at TEB

Quote Originally Posted by emdee View Post
    He has maintained the mental fortitude and then some with his triumph at TEB

Custom Title
    In a word.................YES

Custom Title
    Yes. Now I can say this, with the same confidence I felt for him at the time I joined the board before the 2010 GPF where he finally put his quads and the programs together. TEB does not seal the deal for the OGM for Patrick as claimed by some. It is up for grabs and will be sealed at the Olympics. However, TEB showing bodes very well for him because he showed he was able to apply his newest skill - mind management, aka mental fortitude.

Since the last Olympics and his decision to continue skating, Patrick's ultimal goal has been the OGM but he has broken the process into steps without obsesing about the Olympics. He has had a different focus each season, first the technical skills and the big jumps, then the artistry/performance, and now the most import of all, the mental aspect to pull everything together. Patrick has sought the right coaches for himself along the journey and they have all contributed greatly to his progress. But from my observations and his interviews, Patrick has developed mentally with councils from and observations of great athletes from various sports as well as drawing from
    personal experiences. I don't think TEB is a fluke or the peak of the season but rather a demonstration of his new mental ability to get into the zone. He was not particularly ecstatic at his results because a winner knew he had won before the competition. It is akin to expressing and extending the energy and intention beyond the brick or board to be broken by the bare hand.

Both his programs relate to Mr. Colson and I think they are chosen to resonate his feelings and focus with the music, a mental strength. He wants the OGM for himself, Canada, and his late coach, the first and most ardent believer in his talents and future. This faith and belief in him at childhood must has been a prime motivation.

So, I think he's got it, in his pocket with the blade skills, the quads and the dance movements. Doesn't mean he will always be flawless, but it this mental fortitude is a depenable and power tool purposefully and seemingly successfully acquired.

I will keep watching him and his progress with fancination.

Custom Title
    Chan seems to be really confident and I hope that he will be successful in Sochi. It is though a very different matter to stand on the Olympic ice and wait for the freeskate music to start...

I am with you, SF. Although I am very happy for Patrick that he put together two incredible programs at TEB, I am also aware the deal at Olympics is not sealed. No skater can be perfect all the time (if there's a thing such as perfection). And he knows that numbers do not mean anything. If it is a WR, well great .. 'icing on the cake' as he would have described it. Every moment is different. Like he said, he wants to 're-create' that moment in TEB in future skates. He respects his competitive peers as they all have improved tremendously and caught up with him. Hence he still need to work hard to try to stay ahead of the competition.

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I am with you, SF. Although I am very happy for Patrick that he put together two incredible programs at TEB, I am also aware the deal at Olympics is not sealed. No skater can be perfect all the time (if there's a thing such as perfection). And he knows that numbers do not mean anything. If it is a WR, well great .. 'icing on the cake' as he would have described it. Every moment is different. Like he said, he wants to 're-create' that moment in TEB in future skates. He respects his competitive peers as they all have improved tremendously and caught up with him. Hence he still need to work hard to try to stay ahead of the competition.
    Yes, just ask Michelle Kwan. Anything can happen at the Olympics.

Nah, he's got it. Light years ahead of the pack.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast