Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Can Patrick Chan cope with the pressure of Olympic favouritism?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Also, Boitano did two triple Axels, IIRC.

I have confidence in Chan. The other guys are under pressure, too. Chan has his strong basic skating skills to fall back on, even if he makes a mistake.
    Multiple quads, high levels, and good transitions are a lot to ask for. We saw a lot of top level skaters implode late last season because of how demanding these new programs and training regiments were. Patrick has about a year's headstart on his competitors for skating post-Vancouver COP programs.

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan4ever View Post
    Patrick did not fire Christy Krall. She actually left him and he agreed to let her.
    My understanding was that Krall decided to part ways with Chan AFTER he informed her that he planned to reduce her role on his team. He no longer wanted her as his primary coach.

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    But it helps to have a coach who knows jump technique and how to correct it. I don't know how exactly Kathy Johnson helps with Patrick's skating.
    That is very true. I agree wholeheartedly. I was mainly responding to the assertion that Patrick fired Christy Krall, which he did not. I am very curious as to how this season will unfold for Patrick. Last season was almost painful to watch. It seems like Patrick is more or less directing his own skating nowadays. Only time will tell if this was ultimately the right way to go, in terms of whether he wins the OGM or not. The Olympics will be a nail biter, that's for sure. So many men are in contention for the podium.

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan4ever View Post
    I was mainly responding to the assertion that Patrick fired Christy Krall, which he did not.
    You and I posted at almost exactly the same second.
    Chan did not fire Krall, but one could say that he did not give her a vote of confidence as his head coach.

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    My understanding was that Krall decided to part ways with Chan AFTER he informed her that he planned to reduce her role on his team. He no longer wanted her as his primary coach.
    Hmm, that's interesting. Whatever happened, Patrick wasn't happy going into 2012 Worlds. I just hope Patrick can be happy with how he skates this year EVEN IF he doesn't win the OGM. It's going to be a dog fight if everybody skates relatively well. I do not envy the judges.

Custom Title
    I don't think Chan will win the gold medal, but the pressure of expectation will have little to do with that.

Custom Title
    I have no idea. He has coped so well at 2011 Worlds, but has been having trouble for tunnel vision at competitions most of the time.

Custom Title
    Until the results are known, there is no answer to this question. Judgements will be passed accordingly then.

I believe Patrick's jump success or failure is a mental rather than technical issue. He still does all his jumps very well but sometimes some of the fail him. He has not lost a particular jump. As well, he depends a lot on the rhythm and breathing into a jump and Lori Nichol was the one who knew him and his skating best. Patrick and his new choreographers has taken time to build the synergy. He took the two years between his first Worlds title and the next Olympics to explore and focus on particular aspects of his skating. Now, saying that the Olympic season is not the time to experiment, they have chosen comfortable programs to showcase what he does best.

I see Patrick's progress has always been based on a plan with the Olympic Gold Medal in mind and he has the luxury to have and to execute such a strategy. That is a good thing, whether or not it puts more pressure on him.

Rinkside
    Hopefully not. Don't want to see him win the Olympic Gold. Being gifted 2 additional World titles he never deserved is already bad enough.

Quote Originally Posted by kovarkovaelegant View Post
    Hopefully not. Don't want to see him win the Olympic Gold. Being gifted 2 additional World titles he never deserved is already bad enough.
    That is your opinion, not everyone's. If you want to argue 'being gifted skaters', I can give you many examples. And that's my opinion, of course just like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Skatefiguring
    Until the results are known, there is no answer to this question. Judgements will be passed accordingly then.
    Well said. Who knows? The ice is slippery. There are a handful of favourites, not just Chan although I think if he skates well, he will definitely podium.

It is far more relaxing to be the recipient of Olympic favoritism than to be someone who isn't. He has it nicely if you ask me.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I don't agree. Olympic favoritism means that reporters will be down your neck at all times at the Games, which can be very disruptive of your preparation process . Brian Orser did not deal well with this pressure, and even Kurt Browning faltered under it. So did Debi Thomas, and Midori Ito found the expectations quite crushing. Sometimes it is better to be a bit under the radar, like Liz Manley.

Patrick Chan has the advantage that this is not his first Olympics, though.

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    I think that at this point, not having a coach is a much bigger issue than pressure.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I don't agree. Olympic favoritism means that reporters will be down your neck at all times at the Games, which can be very disruptive of your preparation process . Brian Orser did not deal well with this pressure, and even Kurt Browning faltered under it. So did Debi Thomas, and Midori Ito found the expectations quite crushing. Sometimes it is better to be a bit under the radar, like Liz Manley.

Patrick Chan has the advantage that this is not his first Olympics, though.
    That was one of the great things that Brian Orser did for YuNa Kim: he kept her largely sheltered from Olympic pressure, especially pressure from her home country. I'm sure that this helped her maintain her concentration and confidence.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Perhap more than Orser, the fact that the Cricket Club is a private club, so reporters can't just wander around willy nilly was a help?

And yes, Chan's coachlessness can be a problem. It certainly didn't help Michelle Kwan.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast