Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 124

Thread: Can Patrick Chan cope with the pressure of Olympic favouritism?

  1. #61
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    You are right. It was about LP.
    I think the issue is more that a lot of people think Kozuka doesn't get enough credit for his fabulous skating skills.

  2. #62
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    I think the issue is more that a lot of people think Kozuka doesn't get enough credit for his fabulous skating skills.
    The following years have shown that Kozuka has been over scored by his fans.

  3. #63
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    The following years have shown that Kozuka has been over scored by his fans.
    I don't think. My commentator always said, Kozuka has similar great SS, like Chan. She was an ISU judge.

  4. #64
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,828
    Quote Originally Posted by suzukifan27 View Post
    Delusional and ignorant. He can barely afford training despite being multiple world champions. Nobody outside the skating circule knows who Patrick is precisely because the constant overscoring/chaninflation.
    Actually in Canada he is quite well known. Similar to how Takahashi and Asada is a household name in Japan but outside of the skating circle and the skater's home country, few people know who he is. That's a problem with the sport not the skaters. Not everyone can be a Michelle Kwan.

  5. #65
    ~high art~
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    636
    Mao is one of the biggest female stars in Japan and also is extremely well known in Korea as well. I doubt Patrick in Canada is anywhere close to her status.

  6. #66
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    I don't think. My commentator always said, Kozuka has similar great SS, like Chan. She was an ISU judge.
    Well, the results from all the competitions clearly showed that that was not the case. Were all the judges from all different competitions, which have been formed by different people as judge, wrong or was your commentator wrong?

  7. #67
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    I don't think. My commentator always said, Kozuka has similar great SS, like Chan. She was an ISU judge.
    I always take the comments from commentators with a grain of salt. The US ones seems biased towards the US. The Canadian ones seem bias towards Canadians skaters. The Eurosport ones seem to be the least biased, the most friendly, but also the least knowledgable.

    I remember during the last World Cup (soccer), the US channels and commentators were talking up the US team, saying that they had a good chance to advance - ask any soccer fan and they would have told you otherwise. The commentators were just trying to build some interest for the team, get the US citizens interested, and hopefully get more viewers.

    Judging for skating is obsure enough that a casual fan has no idea if Kozuka's SS are similar or not to Chan's. Ask different commentators and you'll likely get different responses.

  8. #68
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Also, Boitano did two triple Axels, IIRC.

    I have confidence in Chan. The other guys are under pressure, too. Chan has his strong basic skating skills to fall back on, even if he makes a mistake.
    IA. Chan can definitely win if he calms his nerves & gets into his zone -- easy to say of course. But the field is deep & anything can happen.

  9. #69
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,677
    What Olympic favoritism for Patrick? The Olympics will be held in Russia, so favoritism may go their way...just saying.

  10. #70
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    I always take the comments from commentators with a grain of salt. The US ones seems biased towards the US. The Canadian ones seem bias towards Canadians skaters. The Eurosport ones seem to be the least biased, the most friendly, but also the least knowledgable.
    And maybe you are biased toward your commentators.

  11. #71
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    I always take the comments from commentators with a grain of salt. The US ones seems biased towards the US. The Canadian ones seem bias towards Canadians skaters. The Eurosport ones seem to be the least biased, the most friendly, but also the least knowledgable.
    I can't agree with the last part. At least the Eurosport guys try to factor in URs, take-off edges and spins when trying to predict who will win. Scott and Sandra count falls to make the same assessment.

  12. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    What Olympic favoritism for Patrick? The Olympics will be held in Russia, so favoritism may go their way...just saying.
    The OP likely means he is the odds on/bookies favorite for gold in Sochi, which he obviously is at this point. As for who people sentimentally are rooting for, well outside of Canada that is never Chan to begin with. In Sochi it will be a Russian if they can even field someone decent enough worth rooting for.

  13. #73
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,828
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    The OP likely means he is the odds on/bookies favorite for gold in Sochi, which he obviously is at this point. As for who people sentimentally are rooting for, well outside of Canada that is never Chan to begin with. In Sochi it will be a Russian if they can even field someone decent enough worth rooting for.
    Hah he isn't the sentimental favourite because he is the *favourite*. Just like S/S were the favourites in Vancouver but S/Z were the sentimental favourites. Your haterade is yet again fuelling your delusion if you think that only people in Canada want to see Chan win. He has fans internationally who are rooting for him.

    p.s. Hope you didn't cry too much or pull your hair out too hard when Chan won yet again (and by a landslide, at that).

  14. #74
    Custom Title spikydurian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Hah he isn't the sentimental favourite because he is the *favourite*. Just like S/S were the favourites in Vancouver but S/Z were the sentimental favourites. Your haterade is yet again fuelling your delusion if you think that only people in Canada want to see Chan win. He has fans internationally who are rooting for him.

    p.s. Hope you didn't cry too much or pull your hair out too hard when Chan won yet again (and by a landslide, at that).
    I don't think there's any hair left to pull.

  15. #75
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,406
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Hah he isn't the sentimental favourite because he is the *favourite*. Just like S/S were the favourites in Vancouver but S/Z were the sentimental favourites.
    Actually, S/Z were the favorites going into Vancouver, having had a very strong GP campaign while S/S struggled all season. A pity as to the latter, because they had lovely programs while S/Z were not skating to their best material.

    p.s. Hope you didn't cry too much or pull your hair out too hard when Chan won yet again (and by a landslide, at that).
    Any event in which a skater wins by a landslide is by definition one in which most of the skaters gave subpar performances. As such, it is disappointing regardless of who the winner is. Of course, that disappointment can be countered if one happens to like the winner (I'm sure Plushenko fans shed no tears about the meh men's event in Torino 2006, for instance). But for fans in general, while hair pulling is not indicated, it is not what one hopes for.

    Did you know that GS's fanfest section pretty much started because it was impossible to have any reasonable discussion about Patrick Chan in the general threads, thus necessitating fan-specific ones? For some reason he brings out the worst in people on both sides of the debate. My approach these days is supreme indifference, BTW. I'd rather watch the ladies than the men.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •