Can Patrick Chan cope with the pressure of Olympic favouritism? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Can Patrick Chan cope with the pressure of Olympic favouritism?

spikydurian

Medalist
Having already had an Olympic experience under arguably the far greater pressure of skating before a home country audience, should serve him well as he competes at the Olympics. What will be new for all of the athletes is what impact the Team event will have in terms of "energy expenditure" especially given the uncertainty that currently/unfortunately seems to be an issue with Kevin Reynolds at this point in the season.
We don't know how well Kevin is healing from his injury. But I have faith that his team will ensure he heals on time and get enough practice ready for Sochi.:) As for 'energy expenditure', the team event can always be considered a 'run through session' since skaters do run through their programs during practices and training. I think the pressure for team members should be considerably less since 'do or die' is not dependent on ONE skater.

sapphiresky said:
I've always wondered...is Patrick Chan training his technical elements by himself, since Kathy Johnson is a dance coach? He must have a technical team behind him right?
There is currently no technical coach on paper but I am sure with many highly experienced skater friends, there should be no shortage of counselling. Elvis Stojo, in a recent interview, indicated he gave Patrick some tips. I am sure Patrick will not hesitate to turn to Kurt Browning for advice having grown up with this great skater performer.
Patrick is lucky to have learnt so much from all those who have coached him. From Krall - quads, from Laws - consolidation of his skills and of course most of all, from the legendary Colson - his blade skills and many others. It was mentioned in an old interview that his first coach, Colson always encouraged him to learn from other coaches. He was not afraid to share his protege with others if he believed that was the best for his student.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It was mentioned in an old interview that his first coach, Colson always encouraged him to learn from other coaches. He was not afraid to share his protege with others if he believed that was the best for his student.

That is exceedingly mature of Colson. Quite a few coaches today would be livid if their students got a second opinion. It's also great to see that Chan isn't too afraid/arrogant to ask for help either.

Hopefully these TEB skates have given him renewed confidence. I think his programs are well-designed to ensure focus and keep him at ease, while still being technically demanding.

Coriana

On the Ice
We don't know how well Kevin is healing from his injury. But I have faith that his team will ensure he heals on time and get enough practice ready for Sochi. As for 'energy expenditure', the team event can always be considered a 'run through session' since skaters do run through their programs during practices and training. I think the pressure for team members should be considerably less since 'do or die' is not dependent on ONE skater.

Kevin's recent withdrawal was due to lost training time due to a serious boot issue. We haven't had an update and I wish Kevin's team or Skate Canada would tweet one. Kevin doesn't tweet. Guess we have to wait till Nationals. Patrick said in an interview that he was looking forward to participating in the team event and whether he skated one or two programmes would be decided later. He said he didn't understand why any skater would not want to do the event, as it was a chance to test the ice and soak up the atmosphere etc. He also said it could give them a chance to
skate again... as how many times have you wanted to do that skate over - or words to that effect. And I would post the vid if I could remember where it was. Some interview at the TEB. If anybody is worried about his remarks about the WTT - that had more to do with it being a separate with more travel and time than anything else I think. All Patrick's comments on this team trophy - going back to the time of Katelyn's win at the Nationals - have been full of enthusiasm.