What are Aliona Savchenko & Robin Szolkowy's chances of winning the Olympic title? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What are Aliona Savchenko & Robin Szolkowy's chances of winning the Olympic title?

Ilvskating

Final Flight
My understanding is that Aliona had a hard fall in practice a few days ago; they may not be in top shape at CoC, so factor that into your evaluation...

V/M are ice dancers ;) I think you meant V/T.

Oooops:) I'm in Canada you see:) Thanks.

Anyway, after seeing almost all the top pairs, I think V/T has the best SP for now, could be a masterpiece.
I love P/T's and S/H's too. S/S' need to wait for a clean and fuller version. Right now not there yet.

It's nice to see P/T in different colour other than blue and red, but the hair was a bit messy. S/S costumes are a big improvement from last year. I hope they do well.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
An old Pang & Tang even beating them in the short program at Cup of China, and not even skating all that well to do it. End this thread already. Pretty much everyone has answered 5% or less to the thread question, there is nothing to even talk about at this point.

Savchenko & Szolkowy need to worry about the silver medal, something they missed at the last Olympics, as there are atleast 4 teams who could conceivably beat them for that if they are anything less than perfect (and perfect is not their norm).

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Getting back to the original question... ;)

After Skate America, I would have said “very good”.

I really did not like either of Volosozhar/Trankov’s programmes the first time I saw them. Yes, the routines were very good technically, but, to be blunt, they were not very enjoyable to watch!

My assessment was that, if Savchenko/Szolkovy had come up with a couple of good routines, then the gold was theirs to lose.

But, to be fair, both of Volosozhar/Trankov’s programmes grew on me at Skate Canada.

Now that I have seen Savchenko/Szolkovy’s SP, the only answer I can give is “nil”.

OK, so the performance of it at the Cup of China was not that good, and it will undoubtedly improve by the time Sochi comes along. But, I did not enjoy the programme itself at all.

And I hated the costumes. They blended into the ice too well!!! :laugh:

On the other hand, I REALLY enjoyed Pang/Tong’s SP. Like a lot of people, I am guilty of not even taking them into consideration. And I am now ashamed of that.

But their SP was simply beautiful. There is no other way to put it!

Based on the SP performances I have seen so far this season, the battle for gold will be between Volosozhar/Trankov and Pang/Tong.

I’ll reserve a final judgement until after I’ve seen the German and Chinese Free Programmes.

But, if their FS is anywhere near as good as their Short, Pang/Tong will be MY choice for the gold at Sochi. Which would be a major shock compared to what everybody was expecting…

CaroLiza_fan

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I'm hoping for the best for P/T but I'm not optimistic about them getting gold. I would be glad if I'm wrong. The only case that V/T don't get gold is that T messes up, getting a freaking fall somewhere. He's fully capable of multiple falls:), one on the jumps, one on the throws and one on the step sequences. I'm just joking. I don't wish anybody fall. I'd like to see everybody skate their lights out and the best win.
That being said, P/T always did their best during the Olympics, so who knows.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Quite amazed that S/S still cleared 200 points given how bad their CoC performances were (relative to their potential). They certainly can score around 220+ and would have to depend on errors by V/T who are looking sharp at this point. Lots of work for them to do.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Pang & Tong are not in the running for gold in Sochi and I say that as a huge fan of theirs. They could win the bronze if all the stars align, and I think they would be very happy with that, and it would be an amazing finish to their careers. I dont even think S&S are locks for the silver, but I still dont think P&T could beat the rest of the field other than V&T for silver, atleast 1 other team (whether it is S&S or someone else) would beat them. Pang & Tong should be going for a complete set of Olympic medals now as they were robbed of the 2006 silver and 2010 gold by poor judging.

As for Aliona & Robin, despite the silly talk on this forum that V&T are the held up judges pet, it continues yet again to be S&S and definitely not V&T who receive questionable scores and get held up even with major errors. Granted I do think they deserved the win here, their LP was technically far above P&T even with the mistakes of both teams, but both their SP (which they should have been way behind P&T) and LP were as often is the case with them overmarked given the mistakes. V&T atleast keep skating perfectly to earn their huge scores and victories. S&S had better improve their performances and programs, otherwise a silver in Sochi should they win it will be met with a chorus of boos, just like it was at Worlds last year.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
It is possible for more than one skater/pair/dance team to be overscored at any given time, and I'd argue that's what's going on at the moment throughout skating - not surprising in an Olympic season. But V/T are certainly at the upper end of the scoring inflation phenomena.

Do you require a reminder the sort of messy performances that got V/T similar/higher scores last season? Here you go, then; even the Eurosport team, which loves V/T, referred to the marks as "frankly ridiculous". The scores they get considering the quality of their programs (not their elements when they are done well) certainly put them firmly in the judges' pets category above and beyond any other pair. It helps to be Russian number 1s going into the Olympics in Russia, and it is either naive or disingenuous for any serious skating fan to suggest that they are being scored solely on merit.

After CoC, the answer regarding S/S's chances is "exceedingly small"; not because they aren't capable of skating well, but because of the PCS. If the judges feel that JCS merits higher 9s and The Nutcracker is in the 8s (I disagree with both ends of this assessment, BTW), then they have no chance.

lcd

Match Penalty
Pairs has become one of those disciplines where I really really miss previous generations, perhaps the most. The podium at Salt Lake City, infamous as that event was, remains my favorite. None of the probably medalists at this upcoming Games truly inspires or seems to be "honest, earnest" in their presentation (to me). None of them make me feel a thing. S/S's FS at COC seemed completely devoid of facial expressions.

anotherday

Spectator
Pairs has become one of those disciplines where I really really miss previous generations, perhaps the most. The podium at Salt Lake City, infamous as that event was, remains my favorite. None of the probably medalists at this upcoming Games truly inspires or seems to be "honest, earnest" in their presentation (to me). None of them make me feel a thing. S/S's FS at COC seemed completely devoid of facial expressions.

Perhaps they should add within the PCS section a category 'Facial Expression'? ;-) Another chance to gift V/T a 10.

I find it a bit sad using facial expressions to define great skating. We are still taking about a sport?

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Perhaps they should add within the PCS section a category 'Facial Expression'? ;-) Another chance to gift V/T a 10.

I find it a bit sad using facial expressions to define great skating. We are still taking about a sport?
It is not the main aspect, though it does translate when we talk about interpretation. Having blank face throughout the programm is just mehh... Like Kanako at CoC, having fast and funky music, but 0 expression. So do SS.
And BTW, as much as I appreciate them doing triple axel. First of all, they haven't done it clean yet and it doesn't do them justice when she falls at the end of the programme. Secondly, the such a long preparation is just disturbing. If I didn't know that they are preparing for a throuw, I would think that either of them feels bad and cannot continue.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
Why do you call them S-Squared? I've never seen anyone else use that and it makes no sense, mathematically (they would be 2S) or otherwise.

:laugh:

Just replying to this thread because I finally had the chance to watch Savchenko and Szolkowy's FS at Cup of China last week. I know the pas de deux of Nutcracker is terribly common figure skating music (something that always annoyed me in recent years when people would skate to it), but I thought their FS was quite moving. The best skate to this music I can recall having seen, perhaps ever. Loved it. Made me love this music again. I do hope they win the Olympic gold, despite it seeming that that medal has already been assigned to Volosozhar and Trankov.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I like SS free program. Pa de deux is one of my fav pieces of classical music. Alyona looks great :) I think they WILL get better to the end of the season..30% is their chance to win now. If they do their 3a cleaan then 50X50 I guess

elif

Medalist
They can get many points with throw 3Lo. Why they are using 3A? Set up for the 3A take too much time and they are giving points at PCS. 2 or 3 seconds before the 3A, they are not doing anything :rolleye:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
They can get many points with throw 3Lo. Why they are using 3A? Set up for the 3A take too much time and they are giving points at PCS. 2 or 3 seconds before the 3A, they are not doing anything :rolleye:

agree..

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
more like 60% bronze

P/T, MT/M, D/R, B/L can challenge for silver or bronze with S/S