Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What are Aliona Savchenko & Robin Szolkowy's chances of winning the Olympic title?

Custom Title
    D/R just got beat and finished 3rd at Skate Canada so the Bronze is now he more wide open i think.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    D/R just got beat and finished 3rd at Skate Canada so the Bronze is now he more wide open i think.
    D/R have always been inconsistent
    MTM have a chance to beat them by nationals

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    they are not superior, let alone vastly superior, to the rest of the top pairs.
    "The rest of the top pairs". Funny line. There are only 2 top pairs now, that is all. So whom you are referring to with your plural statement I havent the faintest clue. The pairs field is so weak currently Duhamel & Radford are on paper the #3 pair (or atleast were after Worlds). I certainly hope you arent implying teams like Dumahel & Radford and Barazova & Larionov are of the same caliber as Volosozhar & Trankov, but if you are April Fools is long over. I have a favorite pair, and they arent V&T, but I wouldnt dare say my favorite pair is currently on the same level as V&T either. The only team you could remotedly argue V&T arent superior or vastly superior to are S&S and not even them while V&T continue to skate perfectly and S&S continue to struggle relatively speaking.

Custom Title
    Pairs as a discipline strikes me to be so much more unpredictable than it has been in the past. If the question is GOLD, that seems more specific and tougher to gauge, but clearly they seem the underdogs.

Custom Title
    Ssquared has the technical program (harder) but they have to execute it. Actually the throw jumps are hugely different - V and T much easier. If Squared are clean can you imagine their scores - like maybe 10 pts higher than v and t? yes bronze is going to be a dog fight even without Kavaguti and Smirnov - Italy and the Sui and Han have restablished themselves again as contenders after last year's problems. Then you have two Canadians, the Russian no. 2 team, pang and tong and those are just the top threats for bronze. like 6 teams for one medal

Custom Title
    I simply cannot wait for CoC so that we can finally see S/S's programs, the big mystery of the season. And if they skate clean, we will also have the first glimpse at their scores versus those of V/T.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Ssquared has the technical program (harder) but they have to execute it. Actually the throw jumps are hugely different - V and T much easier. If Squared are clean can you imagine their scores - like maybe 10 pts higher than v and t? yes bronze is going to be a dog fight even without Kavaguti and Smirnov - Italy and the Sui and Han have restablished themselves again as contenders after last year's problems. Then you have two Canadians, the Russian no. 2 team, pang and tong and those are just the top threats for bronze. like 6 teams for one medal
    Yipes, this is going to be a nail-biter! I foresee getting no sleep during the Olympics. I'll have to rest my mind by watching the bobsled and the luge.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Yipes, this is going to be a nail-biter! I foresee getting no sleep during the Olympics. I'll have to rest my mind by watching the bobsled and the luge.
    Yup! I'm planning on getting in 2 weeks worth of supplies (chocolate and champagne for some events, beer and chips for others) and not going out!

Custom Title
    If both skate clean, S/S sh3ould have a chance to win. I watched them at 2013 World, and although I hated V/M's SP, V/M did have a better presence on the ice. Their matching lines are just so appealing to the eyes. But S/S has higher difficulty planned, two throw 3A, that would be massive if done well. Personally the only programs I love from S/S is the Out of Africa, but a lot of their programs are memorable, like the Pink, the Clown, and Pina. V/M on the other hand looks the same in almost every program they skated, they don't have personality even they try really hard. They have really good elements, especially the twist. I don't like their throws as V tends to do double bending before the take off, that's like telegraphing a jump. But watching live in the arena, V/M have bigger visual impact.

Custom Title
    Who would have though that D/R would have lost this weekend. Anything can happen the ice is slippery. V/T have great elements that they do well but nothing really exciting beyond that IMHO, so if S/S work like crazy and if its meant to be their night, sure they can win

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bramweld View Post
    Who would have though that D/R would have lost this weekend. Anything can happen the ice is slippery.
    Ironically, it wasn't the ice that cost them the victory, so much as the lift having to be aborted.

I think a lot of people keep forgetting that D/R's SBS jumps are exceedingly difficult and their consistency with them isn't as good as some couples with their 3S or 3T, however, the higher BV allows for minor errors on it. Unfortunately they missed it in both the SP/LP.

B/H certainly deserved the victory.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    D/R have always been inconsistent
    MTM have a chance to beat them by nationals
    Yup, besides D/R are too focussed on the elements there isn't much relating going on. MTM have that in spades. It just makes everything look better!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Ironically, it wasn't the ice that cost them the victory, so much as the lift having to be aborted.
    Anything can happen.

Custom Title
    ITa but was not surprised by DR loss (it wasn't huge) because the Italians weren't they like fourth a few years ago at worlds and S and H looked to be the new up and coming champs. I have to say SS also is pretty much the same Their transitions or entrances are the same for years - different music but the same. Neither team inmho are memorable. SSquared has had more interesting programs BUT will always be not in the top echelon to me because they haen't skated cleanly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyLex View Post
    I simply cannot wait for CoC so that we can finally see S/S's programs, the big mystery of the season. And if they skate clean, we will also have the first glimpse at their scores versus those of V/T.
    My understanding is that Aliona had a hard fall in practice a few days ago; they may not be in top shape at CoC, so factor that into your evaluation...

Quote Originally Posted by Ilvskating View Post
    If both skate clean, S/S sh3ould have a chance to win. I watched them at 2013 World, and although I hated V/M's SP, V/M did have a better presence on the ice. Their matching lines are just so appealing to the eyes. But S/S has higher difficulty planned, two throw 3A, that would be massive if done well. Personally the only programs I love from S/S is the Out of Africa, but a lot of their programs are memorable, like the Pink, the Clown, and Pina. V/M on the other hand looks the same in almost every program they skated, they don't have personality even they try really hard. They have really good elements, especially the twist. I don't like their throws as V tends to do double bending before the take off, that's like telegraphing a jump. But watching live in the arena, V/M have bigger visual impact.
    V/M are ice dancers I think you meant V/T.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    SSquared has had more interesting programs BUT will always be not in the top echelon to me because they haen't skated cleanly enough.
    Why do you call them S-Squared? I've never seen anyone else use that and it makes no sense, mathematically (they would be 2S) or otherwise.

I'm not sure what your criteria for clean performances as a basis for greatness is, either, because I can't think of that many pairs who were/have been able to skate their programs without mistakes on a consistent basis.

FYI, Berton/Hotarek (that would be "the Italians") have never finished higher than tenth at Worlds, though they have medalled at Euros.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast