K-Pop! K-Dramas! (aka, Yuna's not the only thing I <3 about Korea) | Golden Skate

K-Pop! K-Dramas! (aka, Yuna's not the only thing I <3 about Korea)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay, GS-friends. I think there's a few of us who love Korean Pop, or K-Pop and Korean Dramas, or K-Dramas, so I thought I would share some of my favorites. Others, please feel free to join in with your past and current favorites.

A few skaters love K-Pop too including Courtney Hicks and Tim Koleko (former U.S. competitor, now doing Ice Dance with Yura Min for S. Korea.)

My current favorite is called "Love Me" by Seo In Young. She used to be in a girl group called Jewelry from the early to late 2000s. She basically went on her own in 2011 and last year formed her own production company (basically giving her full creative freedom). She's known in S. Korea for being a fashionista of sorts and it really shows in the music video. She also pulls off blond hair really well.

Another one I really like right now Is 9Muses "Gun" 9Muses had a rough start when they debuted in 2010, namely because they had the same number of members as Girls Generation, which is the No. 1 girl group in Korea. Basically, they were seen as a bunch of supermodels with no talent (which wasn't true; some could actually sing really well). Anyway, they went through a few member changes and they started releasing hits one by one. Basically everything they've done in the last two years have been real gems.

A Korean news crew actually followed 9Muses for the year leading to their debut. It was surprisingly revealing and you see the girls in some low moments. Basically you can see how hard it was for these girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dY_QvQfxeM

I'm watching several dramas right now. The one that's got me hooked is called The Golden Empire. Basically its a story that spans 20 years of family jockeying for power in the family business. If you watch dramas often enough, the whole power-hungry theme of these family-run corporations is a common one, but somehow this drama has gotten me hooked. I think it's a credit to the characters. They are definitely not one note. And there's no one bad guy -- everybody is basically guilty but yet show positive attributes as well.

They sound like fun! It's wonderful that these things are now accessible here. This is one great aspect about the wired world: we can see things that previously were only viewable one part of the world.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
They sound like fun! It's wonderful that these things are now accessible here. This is one great aspect about the wired world: we can see things that previously were only viewable one part of the world.

Yes, its pretty awesome. I don't even need cable anymore. I actually subscribe to a website (Drama Fever) that streams dramas (Korean, Japanese, Spanish, etc.) and can watch to my heart's delight. It's quite inexpensive ($10 a month) and they give you ad-free streaming and ability to watch on mobile devices. Actually IceNetwork could learn a thing or two from these guys...