Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who would you rank as the current American ladies number 1: Gracie Gold or Ashley Wagner?

Custom Title

Who would you rank as the current American ladies number 1: Gracie Gold or Ashley Wagner?

In this new article by Phil Hersh, he states:-

At this point, Ashley Wagner is again – and clearly – the top woman in the United States. At the end of last season, Gold had edged ahead in my estimation, even if Wagner was placed ahead of her at nationals (1-to-2) and worlds (5-to-6).

Wagner’s solid second place at Skate America last week put behind her the shaky performances she had at the Grand Prix Final, nationals and worlds last season. She is the most reliable U.S. woman.
    I would agree with Phil Hersh that Wagner is the most reliable at present. However, I do not agree with his assertion that she is "clearly – the top woman." I would say that they were more or less level pegging (as I think Golds best is on a par with Wagner's when they skate clean), but that the momentum is with Gracie Gold. She is improving in leaps and bounds, and under Frank Carroll, I think that the rate of improvement will increase markedly. The only factor that Gold really lacks at the moment is consistency in terms of putting a clean SP and FS together in the same competition. If she can find that consistency over the next few months, I think she can win the forthcoming U.S. National Championships and head into the Olympics as the clear U.S. number 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    In this new article by Phil Hersh, he states:-

I would agree with Phil Hersh that Wagner is the most reliable at present. However, I do not agree with his assertion that she is "clearly – the top woman." I would say that they were more or less level pegging, but that the momentum is with Gracie Gold. She is improving in leaps and bounds, and under Frank Carroll, I think that the rate of improvement will increase markedly. The only factor that Gold really lacks at the moment is consistency in terms of putting a clean SP and FS together in the same competition. If she can find that consistency over the next few months, I think she can win the forthcoming U.S. National Championships and head into the Olympics as the clear U.S. number 1
    I think she is "clearly" the top woman right now, which is what his assessment is based on. It doesn't make sense to base his assessment on what could happen in the months to come. Right now, Ashley has the higher overall and free skate score and Gracie and her are virtually tied as far as SP scores.

Custom Title
    It's so fickle to base it off a competition. Ashley, for example, started last season strong and then fizzled. Gold was up and down last season. They were neck in neck at Worlds. It's really hard to say at this point.

Right now, I would rank Gold higher, but barely. Her jumps are better, her FS is also better than Ashley's R&J.

Custom Title
    Honestly, if they both skated clean or close to clean, its 1 and 1a.

Ashley, but I hope grace has a fab nationals.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Ashley Wagner

At the moment I think Gracie is the one with something to prove.

Custom Title
    Ashley and I do wanna see her on that Olympic podium!

Down With It
    RIGHT NOW, it is Wagner.

BUT, Gold continues to nip at her heels. If Gold gets it together and begins competing well, Wagner's days at the top are done. But that hasn't happened yet, so AS OF NOW Wagner is still our best hope.

Custom Title
    Agreed with everyone above that Wagner at the moment is far above Gracie, both for consistency/competitiveness and for all-around skating (choreography, presentation).

Agree also that if Gracie becomes more consistent with her jumps and develops her style she will surpass Ashley.

Custom Title
    Thank goodness we have three spots on our Olympic ladies' team! Who knows which one can do better at the Sochi Games, but it's great that (unless there's some awful occurrence, Heaven forbid) both will have a chance to make America look good there.

Custom Title
    Grace is more talented. I'd like her to have the #1 status

Wagner has the "help" of two National titles (whether or not the second one was deserved in some people's minds not counting lol) so unless she totally bombs I expect her to go into the Olympics as the #1 skater. She *might* make the team even with a really crappy skate (ala Evan in 2010) but they won't prop her up much further than they have to.

Custom Title
    I vividly recall 207 Spokane Nationals where the Big 3 Junior ladies were Caroline Zhang, Marai Negasu, and Ashley Wagner. The Biggest Name of the 3 was Zhang, but Marai won the gold with Caroline and Ashley coming in 2nd & 3rd, respectively. Caroline Zhang took gold at the Jr. World Championship which followed shortly. Six years later and Ashley is the Top ranked of the Three. Kudos to her. My take is that Ashley is the most consistent and most experienced--Gracie the most gifted and exciting. Things will sort out in the next 100 days or so. I believe Ashley will come out of Nationals on top, unless Gracie skates a perfect short & long which she hasn't accomplished this season (and also proves herself in the remaining Grand Prix events). I'm thinking Zawadski might take the third spot. But there's also Gao, Marai, Cesario. And what about Rachel & Alissa? What about juniors moving to senors? A lot of sifting ahead of Sochi.

Quote Originally Posted by r.d. View Post
    right now, it is wagner.

But, gold continues to nip at her heels. If gold gets it together and begins competing well, wagner's days at the top are done. But that hasn't happened yet, so as of now wagner is still our best hope.
    ita.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast