Is it game over for Virtue and Moir already? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Is it game over for Virtue and Moir already?

I'm so glad NBC showed V&M's FD in full. Alas, they only showed excerpts of Berton & Hotarek's LP in pairs :cry:

Yeah, I'm sorry not to see the pairs program, but I'm glad someone got NBC to understand that they HAD to show all of V/M's skate. What a treat. I'm still excited over the fact that they used the Glazunov. It has such scope for emotion.

skatefancan

Rinkside
NBC just showed V/M's free dance on TV in the U.S. Anyone who thinks this couple is fading away or losing ground can't be looking at their skating. While even I could see a few awkwardnesses and imperfections, this program is stunning. I'm probably biased in favor of the music: they used two of my favorite segments from Glazunov's The Seasons. (I think he's an ideal Russian composer for ice dance: so many of his works are airy and rhythmic and lavishly melodic.) But my love for the music doesn't distract me from the quality of their skating. It's splendidly dynamic and interpretive.

Mind you, though I love both V/M and D/W, I'm rooting for D/W this time around, so I'm not prejudiced toward Tessa and Scott. I just know fabulous when I see it. If they win the gold again at this Olympics, it will be because they deserve it, and I won't be disappointed.

It is indeed a stunning program. There were some mistakes, but they will be fixed. If both skate perfect. I think this program is one of true artistry.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think that if you put National bias aside, there is no way D/W will lose. They are the best in the world, by several points. I think Canadians should be happy Pat will win, regardless. I would not bet 5 bucks they repeat. If they do, then D/W make huge mistake or o down.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I'm so pleased at their performance.

They are not fading away for sure.
Even though they didn't score as high as Meryl and Charlie, I saw massive improvement and improvement brings momentum and growth in scores.
Looking at the GOE's and the components, they can compete if they skate error free.

Meryl and Charlie charged from the blocks racing- their program is fantastic but I worry that they might lose the momentum that the Canadians are having because they came out so strong.

It's still early days- we need to see when they compete of foreign ice where they stack up to an international audience.

At this point in the season I like the odds offered by Pangtongfan: 70% Davis and White, 30% Virtue and Moir.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It would be totally crazy for anyone to think or say that it's game over this early in the season for Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir. These two are way too talented, skilled, loved, and accomplished to ever be doubted when the challenge has been set. I definitely think they are going to try their best to be at their best in Sochi and it is going to be a real nail-biter between them and Davis/White. I actually prefer the style, relation/connection, and programs of Tessa and Scott more, so I do hope they perform their best and win. I think their programs have improved over time even though it seems they are making more little mistakes in this Olympic cycle than in the last one. I completely loved their Carmen last season and I completely love their FD this season too. They are so enchanting and mesmerizing! GO TESSA & SCOTT!!! :love::yay:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Of course Russia wont easily give up a dance medal, but they arent going to politik hard for it either when they have much bigger priorities in Sochi than that. W&P lost momentum last year but they did incredibly well at Worlds coming back from a serious injury that should have kept them out of the event. They look like they are back on track this year, and already look very strong to me, and easily capable of taking out anyone outside the unbeatable first 2 if they stay on this course.

This is right. It's going to be vm and dw and maybe w/p or c/l. Russia fell off the podium in pairs in 2010 and will in dance in 2014. It will get back in pairs though probably. b/s don't even have finished programs yet.

stevlin

On the Ice
I love Davis and White's music but do not care for Virtue and Moirs. I wish NBC had shown Weaver and Poje's fd. They are all great.

caitie

Medalist
Voir's first performance at Finlandia left me pretty underwhelmed, and actually I felt like the audience's reactions confirmed my own... it seemed pretty tepid/polite? But even then, I realized that the program -- particular the salutes to the audience/heavens at the end -- had the potential to be very powerful at the Olympics if it was skated beautifully + carried the overtones of it being potentially their last performance in competition. Already just because it was in Canada with the audience behind them it felt a lot more... just more! And I liked it better.

Anyway, with 108 (rounded, and it would have been 109 without a deduction + they still have points on the table for sure), I think their scores are right where they need to be. No "game over," that's for sure. Davis/White will have to be nearly flawless to beat them, and I think the vice versa is true as well. It should be an interesting season!

I wish NBC had shown Weaver and Poje's fd. They are all great.

Me too! I really like their tango.

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
Honestly, I do love this team as skaters not necessarily as people..... But I do have concerns about the technical elements and the lifts - Scott struggles ab [at] it. [M] muscle can help the woman in lifts but he also has to be strong enough to lift the extra weight and they size differences isn't as much as D and W in V and M. It's probably too late but Scott needs to bulk up a bit - the inverted triangle he is too much of a singles skater build so that might help but 4 mos isn't al ot of time. The compromise is I guess Tessa lose about 8 to 10lbs and scott bulkup 8 to 10 and hope it doens't throw everything off?

Scott is probably the best male ice dancer ever. It is extremely rare that he ever displays awkwardness--and that is usually confined to an extended lift. Tessa is a beautiful woman, with the most exquisite arch and upper body movement in ice dance. She has a unique lure and mystery in her personna that is intriguing and beguiling. This dance pair has it all...except Scott is a bit slight for the beautiful, bountiful Tessa. Partial solution: by shedding a few pounds, Tessa would eliminate Scotts's rare awkward lift moments, and it would give her an overall visual litheness to equal the magic lightness she already has. [Sorry readers, no offense, but in many aspects of life, weight matters. Two that come to mind are health and aesthetics, with ice skating representing the latter, and to a degree the former as well. If in doubt, consult with a physician.]

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Note that most of Tessa's weight is in her upper body---shoulders and back, and it is all muscle. Tessa uses those muscles to assist in the complex lifts where Scott raises her up and over his back. She can't lose that weight without making it even harder for Scott to lift her.

Tessa has little if any fat on her body at all. She is all muscle. And she needs that muscle to be able to perform the lifts they have choreographed.
But if they cannot perform those lifts smoothly and gracefully, that is a problem.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
its visually obvious Tessa is heavy and needs to shed a few pounds compared to say Meryl who has light and athletic body
Meryl is the ideal body, thin, light but athletic , just look at her shoulders that is muscle !

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I think D/V have two better programs. But V/M are better dancer for me. I'm sure everything will improve in their program, they have time. We can't say who will be the better in Sochi. But the tendency helps D/V, they almost won every battles against V/M since 2010 Vancouver. And oh, my godness!Tessa isn't fat!!!!But I don't like her "nightdresses", what she is wearing like the costumes. Those are too simply for my taste.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the simple costumes are intended to make Tessa appear smaller next to Scott. Tessa is not a petite woman like Meryl and she can't wear the same kind of flowy costumes Meryl can.

emdee

Final Flight
I think D/V have two better programs. But V/M are better dancer for me. I'm sure everything will improve in their program, they have time. We can't say who will be the better in Sochi. But the tendency helps D/V, they almost won every battles against V/M since 2010 Vancouver. And oh, my godness!Tessa isn't fat!!!!But I don't like her "nightdresses", what she is wearing like the costumes. Those are too simply for my taste.

The 'almost' but not quite saves you!
Her softer more feminine style delineates her lovely lines. I like her in dresses that are not fussy. I must admit the pink free dress looks like slip dress on the TV but is very very beautiful in person.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I don't think it's "game over" at all. Tessa tends to be heavier at the beginning of the season but will be fine later. So that should not be a concern. I love their programs this year. They are beautiful dancers and they are capable of doing it when it counts. Personally I preferred V/M over D/W, but D/W won me over with their Purple dress Waltz and that beautiful Polka dance. I personally think they were robbed in 2012 and I would be happy they get what they deserve. I don't like Scot's behavior off ice, but I like V/M on ice. So it's a easy season for me. V/M and D/W, whichever do well should win, and I'd be equally happy. I wish D/W get a OGM since they're equally good and should share the glory,although I prefer V/M's programs artistically, especially the FD, this year. It's still to early to say for sure, not until the Olympics is over, "game over".

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I think many people forget that skaters usually need the whole season to get used to their program. As an adult skater, I'm still getting used to my programs that were choreographed a year and a half ago! That being said, I think that's why it looks like Scott is laboring. Also, the theme of their Seasons program is of a couple that has gone through life together. If the last lift looks slow and labored to people, that's what I take that section as-- two people in their twilight years.

Matt K

On the Ice
V/M SC 2013 FD

They've really improved since Finlandia a few weeks ago. There's so much difficulty in the dance they make look so easy, which is what you want in ice dance. Aside from the last choreographic lift the quality of the elements and dancing in between are incredible. If they skate this with no mistakes in Sochi they will be unbeatable. Nobody else comes close in tech+artistry.

On another note I sincerely hope Tessa Virtue or any member of her family/team don't happen to read some of the comments regarding her size here. I'm sure V/M will continue to work on their lifts as the season progresses.

Just my two cents.