Is it game over for Virtue and Moir already? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Is it game over for Virtue and Moir already?

SimplyLex

On the Ice
I hope it's over....Scott Moir always acts like a self-entitled douch*.

ITA. Somebody here said Scott was a great competitor... he's not. A great competitor knows how to take defeat graciously. He's a douche. I really want MC to capture that gold, if not because I enjoy their skating more, then because they seem to be generally nicer people.

Only repeater I'll bet on is Kim. I almost wish she'd stay home cuz Ash might make podium if they award Mao, give Caro silver. I SO WANT TO SEE AN American WOMAN BACK ON PODIUM.

OT but I agree. Actually Asada-Kostner-Wagner (in any order) would make an incredible podium. They are all great performers, each of them has her strenghts and is different than others, each of them has her individual style. And they're fighters. They're also artistically mature and I'd rather have them than the Russian wonderbabies aka jumping beans.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I would never write V&M off. They still have 3-4 months to adjust their programs and increase their levels, but boy, D&W's LP is incredible. The story is still the same for the past 4 years - D&W and V&M locked for silver and gold. ATM the advantage is geared towards D&W, but V&M is the most naturally talented ice dancers possibly ever.

I am more curious about who's going to win Bronze. I had trouble watching through C&L's Barber of Seville, and I've only seen rough practices of B&S's LP back in August. I wonder how W&P is doing.

I have a very strong feeling W&P are winning the bronze this year. Given that I am pretty much always right, that means expect W&P to be winning the bronze this year.

waterblades

On the Ice
Scott and Tessa look great! Just because they didn't perform their whole program doesn't mean they are out of contention for Gold or game over. I thought something terrible had happened and I see just a dumb posting was started. Scott and Tessa are going to amazing this year!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
my post disappeared, I asked for puter help in café thread. this is crazy. so d.......may be a bit vulgar. better to explain his attitude maybe in but better verbiage. I see his issues. He is a great skater, better even than Charlie. But, (damn cuser-i give up) Meryl is imho best lady id in world. Tessa is too heavy for Scott. They cannot match the lifts, nor the speed. Charlie tosses Meryl around like a tiny object, which she is. Scott should be thrilled for his Vancouver OGM. It was a truly majestic FD that folks re=watch and remember. I think he is accepting it better now. How many OGM's repeat ow many ID pairs have won two gold medals? Tand D were humbled as well.

caitie

Medalist
I have a very strong feeling W&P are winning the bronze this year.

Interesting. I did like their tango FD in SLC.

No, that is not true. The "you must make the Olympic team in the discipline" only applies if you have spots in that discipline. Otherwise if a country qualifies for the team event, they can put in a team that isn't competing in the Olympics individually for the team event.

Ah, I'm so confused. I assumed this was like WTT, and the countries that qualify are the countries with the best skating federations so they're likely to have skaters in all disciplines. It's still two men, two women, one pairs team, and once ice dancing team right?

I think it is one man, one woman, one pairs team, and one dance team. But if you have depth you can have one skater or couple do the short program and a different one do the long.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No, that is not true. The "you must make the Olympic team in the discipline" only applies if you have spots in that discipline. Otherwise if a country qualifies for the team event, they can put in a team that isn't competing in the Olympics individually for the team event.

Each country is allowed to add an "alternate" entry for only one discipline. As Mrs. P said, the discipline must be one for which the country did not qualify any skater(s) for the event focused on the individual discipline
And for the entire team event, the total of all alternate skaters from all countries is limited to ten. One pair = two of the ten. One dance couple = two of the ten.
The rankings of countries according to their qualification points for the team event determines which countries are entitled to add alternate skaters first.

The "alternate" entries still have to meet minimum technical scores to qualify for the team event. But those minimum scores are lower than those necessary to compete in the events for the individual disciplines.

meem

On the Ice
One. Grishuk and Platov.

Hunh! How sooooon we forget! I can't even remember what G/P skated to in either of their OGM free dances (was the first one a rock and roll themed program?) Now I certainly can remember K/P's free dance in '92; Torville & Dean's FD in '84; and a bit of V/M's free dance in '10 (but not as clearly as K/P and T/D probably because IMO V/M's program was beautiful but just didn't stand out like the other two teams' programs did for me). Thanks for the needed reminder, Mathman :>)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
One. Grishuk and Platov.

Help me remember Math. They were part of the ID era I really disliked. After the purity/unison/ yet innovation of Tand D I found the euro-Russian domination awful re costumes, frantic programs, dying on ice. I really enjoy it now, largely due to the Canton teams and their influence. North American aesthetic and the MarinaIgor brilliance were an incredible synergy. I liked Belgosto, but I could not watch when Bourne and Kraatz would lose due to being non-Russian. I loved them, even moreso pre-Morozov.

Please refresh my memory, did't Grishuk win with two partners? I recall 98 Nagano and her footdown in the Fd was it? I recall nothing of 94. I guess the ladies event took up my attention. Maybe some links.

At the time, I recall the network focusing on the extramarital affairs. Ice dance was not on my radar. Tell me, did you agree with those two OGMedals? Grishuk was hated when Americans were told she was a homewrecker. I'd like to watch their 94 performances again as I cannot recall them. If you have a link. I have to say she exemplified what I did not like bout that era. I like Klimova and her partner, but I guess I am a purist. I liked the purity of pre-8Os icedance when unison was king.

I love the Shibs for that 2011 bronze medal program. That is my taste-I recall Bezic saying skating did not get much better than that. I'm still their fan.

So let's see those skates if you indulge me. I wonder why I recall her with two partners? Maybe her pro career? Platov went with Usova, yes? Funny I recall no ID from 94. Maybe the networks barely had time to cover it with Tonya/Nancy mayhem.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Grishuk had a different partner in juniors, Aleksandr Chickov
1988 Grishuk & Chickov World Junior FD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKQ8DPVP8Yw

She also had a different partner as a pro, Alexander Zhulin:
Grishuk & Zhulin World Pro 1998
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXyuRMOfY_A

But during her senior career, she skated with Evgeni Platov.
She was at 3 Olympics
1992 Grishuk & Platov FD (finished 4th in the FD & fourth overall)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRlNzp_V35A

1994 Grishuk & Platov FD (Roch n Roll) They won the gold over Usova & Zhulin and Torvill & Dean)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikmnZLhl1wA

1998 Grishuk & Platov FD Memorial Requiem (they again won gold)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCE1TwOjv3k

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yeah the swapping Ice Dance partners didn't happen until after the final Olympics... then it was a Soap Opera On Ice.

As for what we've seen at one practice for V/M - they weren't doing or looking any different than any of the top skaters in the other disaplines today. That they looked out of breath is understandable, they'd been skating around doing parts of their program well before it was their turn to boogie to their music.

I'm not a fan of the Free(?) Dance (I've not seen any vids of it in its entirety) from what I've seen. I think D/W have the better one this year. My favorite V/M is the Latin one they did in the very short season they had (which they then mangled into an SD the following season). This dance that they did in practice today had me thinking "Okay, so the Sequel to the Mahler number..." but I don't know what the story is supposed to be. That's just the vibe I got.

Whether or not they win another title, that's still up in the air for me. A lot can happen between now and then.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
AFAIR, it's supposed to sum up their entire career together, but not to be Mahler part 2 exactly.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Virtue/Moir's new FD costumes at practice today are a marked contrast to their Mahler costumes -- as opposed to the FD costumes they wore a few weeks ago at Finlandia, which had more in common with their Mahler costumes.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is it over for them???

No. Not by a long shot. That said, having seen early versions of both SD's and FD's, D/W have the superior programs this year... so far.

D/W's FD improved tremendously from SLC to SkAm... and it's possible the same will be said about V/M from Finlandia to SkCan. We'll just have to see.

Regarding G/P: They may be history's only 2x OGM in Dance, but when I youtube my favorite dances (and dancers) they are never on the list. They are very forgettable when compared to K/P, T/D, V/M... even "lesser" Olympic champs like A/P are superior.

In particular their dance to "Rock Around the Clock" beating out U/Z's sublime Olympic program is a stain on Olympic skating history. My opinion, of course.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Help me remember Math. They were part of the ID era I really disliked. After the purity/unison/ yet innovation of Tand D I found the euro-Russian domination awful re costumes, frantic programs, dying on ice. I really enjoy it now, largely due to the Canton teams and their influence. North American aesthetic and the MarinaIgor brilliance were an incredible synergy. I liked Belgosto, but I could not watch when Bourne and Kraatz would lose due to being non-Russian. I loved them, even moreso pre-Morozov.

Please refresh my memory, did't Grishuk win with two partners? I recall 98 Nagano and her footdown in the Fd was it? I recall nothing of 94. I guess the ladies event took up my attention. Maybe some links.

At the time, I recall the network focusing on the extramarital affairs. Ice dance was not on my radar. Tell me, did you agree with those two OGMedals? Grishuk was hated when Americans were told she was a homewrecker. I'd like to watch their 94 performances again as I cannot recall them. If you have a link. I have to say she exemplified what I did not like bout that era. I like Klimova and her partner, but I guess I am a purist. I liked the purity of pre-8Os icedance when unison was king.

I love the Shibs for that 2011 bronze medal program. That is my taste-I recall Bezic saying skating did not get much better than that. I'm still their fan.

So let's see those skates if you indulge me. I wonder why I recall her with two partners? Maybe her pro career? Platov went with Usova, yes? Funny I recall no ID from 94. Maybe the networks barely had time to cover it with Tonya/Nancy mayhem.

All Grishuk did In 1998 was have one error on one step In one second of a compulsory dance and apparently this was supposed to mean they should have come in last place or whatever! Tracy Wilson was so horrible to them well Grishuk! It was just a small error in the cd section!