Is it game over for Virtue and Moir already? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is it game over for Virtue and Moir already?

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
I'm baffled by all this angst also. V/M will fix whatever issues they feel they have, and they will show up in Sochi fully prepared to contend for the gold medal. The sun will rise in the east tomorrow and the Pope is still Catholic. I have no doubts about the certainty of all three of these things.

The last Olympic season had D/W and V/M leap past the rest of the competition. It was an incredible improvement over the previous season. D/W averaged about 25 points higher than their previous season. While both of their PSC are very good, both of them seem to have struggled to consistently hit levels over the past two years after Igor's firing.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Having an Olympic gold medal in their pocket already, I believe V/M will be more relaxed mentally than D/W. That will give V/M the advantage at the most stressful moment.

Jo1

Rinkside
Oh, man, I didn't even think of that! The only reason we got to see ice dance on Skate America is because an American couple won. I hope someone in the booth can make the case to the producers that V/M have to be shown so Americans understand what the stakes are in this competition. (And just because V/M are wonderful!)

This is off topic but I couldn't find where you could start a new thread. Does anyone know what happened to the discussion board ar Ice network? Can't seem to find it.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
When I saw the thread title, I thought I seriously missed something like V/M decide to split? One got seriously injured?
It is not the case and I don't see the legitimacy of the discussion.
Even if they finish 2nd or 3rd in Sochi, that is still great. So what game??What over???!!!!
And if they want to continue, they won't be that old to compete in the 2018 Olympics.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This is off topic but I couldn't find where you could start a new thread. Does anyone know what happened to the discussion board ar Ice network? Can't seem to find it.

From the top bar at IN, pick FANS. Then scroll to the bottom of the FANS page to find a link to the IN forums.

And no you don't need to click on an ad to post a new thread here at GS. Be serious, BOP ;)

gmyers

Record Breaker
The gpf will be vital of course. Dw will win their two gps and vm will win their two events and all 4 wins will be gigantic landslides but Gpf will determine who is stronger.

kovarkovaelegant

Rinkside
D&W will win the Olympic title this year. They have won every event in the last year so have taken over in jugdes minds as top team. They look stronger early this season. They will win the GPF as they have every year since 2010 now. This time will be different from 2010 and 2012 though as it will mean an extension of D&W's already long growing win streak, and V&M wont be able to come back from that. Add to all that D&W are the sentimental favorites since they haven't won the Olympics yet, and it will take a big error for V&M to defend their Olympic Gold I believe.

caitie

Medalist
I wasn't super impressed with the first outing of VM's program in Finlandia, but IA that it's way too early to say they are in trouble, and I expect that who wins gold will come down to who skates better the night of the competition. That said, I'm really interested to see their scores from Skate Canada.

P.S. It just occurred to me that I read the team medal event is going to be skated before the individual events in Sochi. I wonder how that will effect the athletes' nerves. Maybe it will give them a chance to acclimate to the pressure?

I wish the order of events was reversed. Skaters will have to give their all for the team event, and Heaven forbid, what if someone gets injured? (I'm presuming that at least some skaters will participate in both; I've totally forgotten the rules on that.)

^ I think you have to make the Olympic team as an individual in order to participate in the team event. So everyone in the team event will also compete as an individual.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I watched Voir's practice, they looked winded-Tessa did doing very little. I couldn't tell what their SD looks like. Nice music, great costumes. Tessa really reminds me of a sexier more bodacious version of DUCHESS kate, blue eyed brunette, creamy skin...just always classy and pretty. I know Marlie will win. Betters out there, lol? I still love Voir. But Vancouver was their peak. Only repeater I'll bet on is Kim. I almost wish she'd stay home cuz Ash might make podium if they award Mao, give Caro silver. I SO WANT TO SEE AN American WOMAN BACK ON PODIUM.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
^ I think you have to make the Olympic team as an individual in order to participate in the team event. So everyone in the team event will also compete as an individual.

Is this true? What's going to happen for Japan in the team event without Takahashi/Kihara qualified for the individual? Or are they going to skate with just 3 disciplines?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Is this true? What's going to happen for Japan in the team event without Takahashi/Kihara qualified for the individual? Or are they going to skate with just 3 disciplines?

No, that is not true. The "you must make the Olympic team in the discipline" only applies if you have spots in that discipline. Otherwise if a country qualifies for the team event, they can put in a team that isn't competing in the Olympics individually for the team event.

bramweld

Record Breaker
They will have a hard battle as they were struggling in practice again today. COP requirements are just HARD physically!!

BlackPack

Medalist
I would never write V&M off. They still have 3-4 months to adjust their programs and increase their levels, but boy, D&W's LP is incredible. The story is still the same for the past 4 years - D&W and V&M locked for silver and gold. ATM the advantage is geared towards D&W, but V&M is the most naturally talented ice dancers possibly ever.

I am more curious about who's going to win Bronze. I had trouble watching through C&L's Barber of Seville, and I've only seen rough practices of B&S's LP back in August. I wonder how W&P is doing.