Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Is it game over for Virtue and Moir already?

Custom Title
    I do no think that Tessa needs to lose weight or that Scott needs to gain muscle. D/W are still the chasers - V/M are nowhere nearly as good technically in my opinion, but the judges always think they are so - I will just be happy watching the performances.

on tv the last lift was tough. Tessa is not a tiny fast sprite-no not heavy, but a woman. he does very well considering his size.

Custom Title
    NBC just showed V/M's free dance on TV in the U.S. Anyone who thinks this couple is fading away or losing ground can't be looking at their skating. While even I could see a few awkwardnesses and imperfections, this program is stunning. I'm probably biased in favor of the music: they used two of my favorite segments from Glazunov's The Seasons. (I think he's an ideal Russian composer for ice dance: so many of his works are airy and rhythmic and lavishly melodic.) But my love for the music doesn't distract me from the quality of their skating. It's splendidly dynamic and interpretive.

Mind you, though I love both V/M and D/W, I'm rooting for D/W this time around, so I'm not prejudiced toward Tessa and Scott. I just know fabulous when I see it. If they win the gold again at this Olympics, it will be because they deserve it, and I won't be disappointed.

Custom Title
    Only if D/W make three mistakes and V/M add exceptional difficulty to their programs will I not cry my eyes out if the latter win OGM.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    NBC just showed V/M's free dance on TV in the U.S. Anyone who thinks this couple is fading away or losing ground can't be looking at their skating. While even I could see a few awkwardnesses and imperfections, this program is stunning. I'm probably biased in favor of the music: they used two of my favorite segments from Glazunov's The Seasons. (I think he's an ideal Russian composer for ice dance: so many of his works are airy and rhythmic and lavishly melodic.) But my love for the music doesn't distract me from the quality of their skating. It's splendidly dynamic and interpretive.

Mind you, though I love both V/M and D/W, I'm rooting for D/W this time around, so I'm not prejudiced toward Tessa and Scott. I just know fabulous when I see it. If they win the gold again at this Olympics, it will be because they deserve it, and I won't be disappointed.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I'm so glad NBC showed V&M's FD in full. Alas, they only showed excerpts of Berton & Hotarek's LP in pairs

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I'm so glad NBC showed V&M's FD in full. Alas, they only showed excerpts of Berton & Hotarek's LP in pairs
    Yeah, I'm sorry not to see the pairs program, but I'm glad someone got NBC to understand that they HAD to show all of V/M's skate. What a treat. I'm still excited over the fact that they used the Glazunov. It has such scope for emotion.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    People are like hammers, looking for nails ... to drive into coffins. Yeesh.

Would NEVER count V/M out
    I wouldn't count V/M out either, and I'm sure D/W aren't.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post

It is indeed a stunning program. There were some mistakes, but they will be fixed. If both skate perfect. I think this program is one of true artistry.

I think that if you put National bias aside, there is no way D/W will lose. They are the best in the world, by several points. I think Canadians should be happy Pat will win, regardless. I would not bet 5 bucks they repeat. If they do, then D/W make huge mistake or o down.

#TeamAUS
    I'm so pleased at their performance.

They are not fading away for sure.
    Even though they didn't score as high as Meryl and Charlie, I saw massive improvement and improvement brings momentum and growth in scores.
    Looking at the GOE's and the components, they can compete if they skate error free.

Meryl and Charlie charged from the blocks racing- their program is fantastic but I worry that they might lose the momentum that the Canadians are having because they came out so strong.

It's still early days- we need to see when they compete of foreign ice where they stack up to an international audience.

At this point in the season I like the odds offered by Pangtongfan: 70% Davis and White, 30% Virtue and Moir.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    It would be totally crazy for anyone to think or say that it's game over this early in the season for Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir. These two are way too talented, skilled, loved, and accomplished to ever be doubted when the challenge has been set. I definitely think they are going to try their best to be at their best in Sochi and it is going to be a real nail-biter between them and Davis/White. I actually prefer the style, relation/connection, and programs of Tessa and Scott more, so I do hope they perform their best and win. I think their programs have improved over time even though it seems they are making more little mistakes in this Olympic cycle than in the last one. I completely loved their Carmen last season and I completely love their FD this season too. They are so enchanting and mesmerizing! GO TESSA & SCOTT!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Of course Russia wont easily give up a dance medal, but they arent going to politik hard for it either when they have much bigger priorities in Sochi than that. W&P lost momentum last year but they did incredibly well at Worlds coming back from a serious injury that should have kept them out of the event. They look like they are back on track this year, and already look very strong to me, and easily capable of taking out anyone outside the unbeatable first 2 if they stay on this course.
    This is right. It's going to be vm and dw and maybe w/p or c/l. Russia fell off the podium in pairs in 2010 and will in dance in 2014. It will get back in pairs though probably. b/s don't even have finished programs yet.

Custom Title
    I love Davis and White's music but do not care for Virtue and Moirs. I wish NBC had shown Weaver and Poje's fd. They are all great.

Custom Title
    Voir's first performance at Finlandia left me pretty underwhelmed, and actually I felt like the audience's reactions confirmed my own... it seemed pretty tepid/polite? But even then, I realized that the program -- particular the salutes to the audience/heavens at the end -- had the potential to be very powerful at the Olympics if it was skated beautifully + carried the overtones of it being potentially their last performance in competition. Already just because it was in Canada with the audience behind them it felt a lot more... just more! And I liked it better.

Anyway, with 108 (rounded, and it would have been 109 without a deduction + they still have points on the table for sure), I think their scores are right where they need to be. No "game over," that's for sure. Davis/White will have to be nearly flawless to beat them, and I think the vice versa is true as well. It should be an interesting season!

I wish NBC had shown Weaver and Poje's fd. They are all great.
    Me too! I really like their tango.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast