Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Is it game over for Virtue and Moir already?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Honestly, I do love this team as skaters not necessarily as people..... But I do have concerns about the technical elements and the lifts - Scott struggles ab [at] it. [M] muscle can help the woman in lifts but he also has to be strong enough to lift the extra weight and they size differences isn't as much as D and W in V and M. It's probably too late but Scott needs to bulk up a bit - the inverted triangle he is too much of a singles skater build so that might help but 4 mos isn't al ot of time. The compromise is I guess Tessa lose about 8 to 10lbs and scott bulkup 8 to 10 and hope it doens't throw everything off?
    Scott is probably the best male ice dancer ever. It is extremely rare that he ever displays awkwardness--and that is usually confined to an extended lift. Tessa is a beautiful woman, with the most exquisite arch and upper body movement in ice dance. She has a unique lure and mystery in her personna that is intriguing and beguiling. This dance pair has it all...except Scott is a bit slight for the beautiful, bountiful Tessa. Partial solution: by shedding a few pounds, Tessa would eliminate Scotts's rare awkward lift moments, and it would give her an overall visual litheness to equal the magic lightness she already has. [Sorry readers, no offense, but in many aspects of life, weight matters. Two that come to mind are health and aesthetics, with ice skating representing the latter, and to a degree the former as well. If in doubt, consult with a physician.]

Custom Title
    Note that most of Tessa's weight is in her upper body---shoulders and back, and it is all muscle. Tessa uses those muscles to assist in the complex lifts where Scott raises her up and over his back. She can't lose that weight without making it even harder for Scott to lift her.

Tessa has little if any fat on her body at all. She is all muscle. And she needs that muscle to be able to perform the lifts they have choreographed.
    But if they cannot perform those lifts smoothly and gracefully, that is a problem.

Banned
    its visually obvious Tessa is heavy and needs to shed a few pounds compared to say Meryl who has light and athletic body
    Meryl is the ideal body, thin, light but athletic , just look at her shoulders that is muscle !

I think D/V have two better programs. But V/M are better dancer for me. I'm sure everything will improve in their program, they have time. We can't say who will be the better in Sochi. But the tendency helps D/V, they almost won every battles against V/M since 2010 Vancouver. And oh, my godness!Tessa isn't fat!!!!But I don't like her "nightdresses", what she is wearing like the costumes. Those are too simply for my taste.

Custom Title
    I think the simple costumes are intended to make Tessa appear smaller next to Scott. Tessa is not a petite woman like Meryl and she can't wear the same kind of flowy costumes Meryl can.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    I think D/V have two better programs. But V/M are better dancer for me. I'm sure everything will improve in their program, they have time. We can't say who will be the better in Sochi. But the tendency helps D/V, they almost won every battles against V/M since 2010 Vancouver. And oh, my godness!Tessa isn't fat!!!!But I don't like her "nightdresses", what she is wearing like the costumes. Those are too simply for my taste.
    The 'almost' but not quite saves you!
    Her softer more feminine style delineates her lovely lines. I like her in dresses that are not fussy. I must admit the pink free dress looks like slip dress on the TV but is very very beautiful in person.

Custom Title
    Tessa looks fine to me. She is a "healthy" weight for her height.

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/mimis...3_original.jpg

Custom Title
    I don't think it's "game over" at all. Tessa tends to be heavier at the beginning of the season but will be fine later. So that should not be a concern. I love their programs this year. They are beautiful dancers and they are capable of doing it when it counts. Personally I preferred V/M over D/W, but D/W won me over with their Purple dress Waltz and that beautiful Polka dance. I personally think they were robbed in 2012 and I would be happy they get what they deserve. I don't like Scot's behavior off ice, but I like V/M on ice. So it's a easy season for me. V/M and D/W, whichever do well should win, and I'd be equally happy. I wish D/W get a OGM since they're equally good and should share the glory,although I prefer V/M's programs artistically, especially the FD, this year. It's still to early to say for sure, not until the Olympics is over, "game over".

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    I think many people forget that skaters usually need the whole season to get used to their program. As an adult skater, I'm still getting used to my programs that were choreographed a year and a half ago! That being said, I think that's why it looks like Scott is laboring. Also, the theme of their Seasons program is of a couple that has gone through life together. If the last lift looks slow and labored to people, that's what I take that section as-- two people in their twilight years.

Matt K
    V/M SC 2013 FD

They've really improved since Finlandia a few weeks ago. There's so much difficulty in the dance they make look so easy, which is what you want in ice dance. Aside from the last choreographic lift the quality of the elements and dancing in between are incredible. If they skate this with no mistakes in Sochi they will be unbeatable. Nobody else comes close in tech+artistry.

On another note I sincerely hope Tessa Virtue or any member of her family/team don't happen to read some of the comments regarding her size here. I'm sure V/M will continue to work on their lifts as the season progresses.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
    On another note I sincerely hope Tessa Virtue or any member of her family/team don't happen to read some of the comments regarding her size here.
    Just so.

Rinkside
    Agree with Mathman and Matt K. Please do not suggest that Tessa needs to lose weight. I have been bothered the last few seasons by how thin she looked (on TV, which adds pounds) and was encouraged to see her looking better this year. There are other ways to fix the lift problems, etc. I thought the ultra-thin Tessa detracted from the aesthetic quality of their programs. Losing weight will make her weaker and not really help Scott at all.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    qwerty1, welcome to posting at GS! Post long & often!

Custom Title
    If the problem with the lifts is really Tessa being "too heavy" as opposed to it just being too early in the season, why can't Scott lift some weights tbqh? It's a lot easier for a man to build more muscle than it is for a woman over 25 to shed pounds of her healthy weight. Tessa is an athlete, and she looks very healthy to me.

I think many people forget that skaters usually need the whole season to get used to their program. As an adult skater, I'm still getting used to my programs that were choreographed a year and a half ago! That being said, I think that's why it looks like Scott is laboring.
    IA!

If they skate this with no mistakes in Sochi they will be unbeatable. Nobody else comes close in tech+artistry.
    IDK. D/W's program is really great and very difficult as well; if they both skate with no mistakes, I think it is a tossup. Personally I prefer D/W's programs so I'd give them the edge... but that's just my own preference speaking. If both teams are perfect in Sochi, I have no idea who will win. I don't even think V/M's previous gold medal will make the judges inclined to ~spread the love around to D/W because I think that's harder to accomplish with IJS than it was under the old system.

Custom Title
    They just need better lifts. Those lifts showing their weaknesses.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast