Is it game over for Virtue and Moir already? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Is it game over for Virtue and Moir already?

I loved Carmen lifts because those lifts fitting the music and ''Carmen'' character. I can't say this for this year's FD. You can see how SC crowd reacted those lifts.

Do we have a name for Tessa/Scott's dance? Like Mahler,Latin,Funny Face, Carmen.

I'm thinking of it as the Glazunov piece, but that nickname may not be to everyone's taste. I just love the music so much.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Music good, but I don't think name will stick, Olympia. I am sure they will be in great form by Olympics, and it may be that they become sentimental favorite. Technically, Charlie/Meryl are incredible, and they have two good programs. I think they should win. Also, I no longer think Moir/Virtue are a shoe in for silver. A lot of great dance teams around, but If they do well, I can't see less than silver, unless they make a big mistake. But One does recall the T&D comeback. They were shocked to get bronze. People who knew ID seemed to find that fair.

I hope that Charlie and Meryl have the skates of their lives. There is something so beautiful about Mahler. But I have to say, their on ice connection is said to be acting. But if it is, they are Oscar worthy. I was watching them on youtube. It just seems they should be together. It is like Gordeeva/Grinkov. I wonder is it okay to ask-is Scott gay? I just want to see this couple together. Will they admit in 30 years they were lovers? Finally T&D did.

When one watches Marlie, one sees so much less connection, but I recall Charlie is with Tanith? What a striking blond pair that is.

I think Voir play this coy "in love" look for all it is worth. Technically, they have fallen behind, and that is obvious to me, someone who really knows nothing about ice dance rules, or lift difficulty. I think if you are being un-nationalistic (Canadians love Candians!) you have to admit they have been surpassed by their American friends. I cannot imagine how tense it is around that rink in Canton, but good for them -I think they are honestly going to be happy with placements if all skate well. I hope Marlie do what they do beautifully. They deserve gold.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Music good, but I don't think name will stick, Olympia. I am sure they will be in great form by Olympics, and it may be that they become sentimental favorite. Technically, Charlie/Meryl are incredible, and they have two good programs. I think they should win. Also, I no longer think Moir/Virtue are a shoe in for silver. A lot of great dance teams around, but If they do well, I can't see less than silver, unless they make a big mistake. But One does recall the T&D comeback. They were shocked to get bronze. People who knew ID seemed to find that fair.

I hope that Charlie and Meryl have the skates of their lives. There is something so beautiful about Mahler. But I have to say, their on ice connection is said to be acting. But if it is, they are Oscar worthy. I was watching them on youtube. It just seems they should be together. It is like Gordeeva/Grinkov. I wonder is it okay to ask-is Scott gay? I just want to see this couple together. Will they admit in 30 years they were lovers? Finally T&D did.

When one watches Marlie, one sees so much less connection, but I recall Charlie is with Tanith? What a striking blond pair that is.

I think Voir play this coy "in love" look for all it is worth. Technically, they have fallen behind, and that is obvious to me, someone who really knows nothing about ice dance rules, or lift difficulty. I think if you are being un-nationalistic (Canadians love Candians!) you have to admit they have been surpassed by their American friends. I cannot imagine how tense it is around that rink in Canton, but good for them -I think they are honestly going to be happy with placements if all skate well. I hope Marlie do what they do beautifully. They deserve gold.

I agree with most of this. I think V/M have fallen behind several teams technically. Even Weaver/Poje came close to beating them last week and they are ranked 5th in the world.

emdee

Final Flight

Nobody deserves a medal. They must earn it.

The TD comparison does not cut it. Hadn't TD retired and then came back.

VM are not moving back......they never left the scene.

No reason why they won't win. Their edges, connection, lines are unsurpassed.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Agree with Mathman and Matt K. Please do not suggest that Tessa needs to lose weight. I have been bothered the last few seasons by how thin she looked (on TV, which adds pounds) and was encouraged to see her looking better this year. There are other ways to fix the lift problems, etc. I thought the ultra-thin Tessa detracted from the aesthetic quality of their programs. Losing weight will make her weaker and not really help Scott at all.

We're not talking about YuNa/Akiko/Aliisa/Semantha/Meryl and Tanith -who was scrawny. Tessa was thinner in Vancouver, or should I say less muscular. Her thighs are clearly larger/muscular, and the longer skirts hide that a bit. I think the lingerie is smart. Scott is not needing to add a 5 lb costume to the dynamic. I do wonder why Scott shows no sign of upper body development? He has injured his neck and those lifts look too strenuous for him-I worry he will hurt himself. It seems they should do lower lifts, since Tessa looks too big around his slender upper body. Anyone know how tall his is? his weight?

When was Tessa ultra thin?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
An emphatic NO: the game is not over for Virtue/Moir.

As I have said previously, Moir has been lifting Virtue since a very young age. They devote a lot of time and effort to the gym (see the videos from last season). They have a very knowledgeable conditioning coach, who customizes their workouts in accordance with their specific lifts each season.

Thoroughly agree with those who have commented that Virtue's muscles are an important contribution to performing their lifts (as are Moir's, of course).

I think if you are being un-nationalistic (Canadians love Candians!) you have to admit they have been surpassed by their American friends.

I am an American for whom Virtue/Moir continue to be superior. I respect Davis/White both as skaters and as people, but IMHO, they have not surpassed V/M.

I wonder is it okay to ask-is Scott gay?

By all accounts, Moir is not gay. He has been known to have two long-term girlfriends (in succession) within the past several years. (Again, not at the same time.)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think if you are being un-nationalistic (Canadians love Candians!) you have to admit they have been surpassed by their American friends.
Nationalistic viewpoints and biases are not monopolized by Canadians.

I'm not particularly a fan of either team (not that that point matters), and haven't seen enough to suggest that Virtue and Moir should just hand the gold medal idea over to Davis and White.

It will be interesting to see how the season unfolds and how the teams progress and refine their programs... and then Sochi will be upon us and it will be who is deserving ON THAT NIGHT, not who may or may not have the louder fan base or may be "more deserving" because of their body of work.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I am an American for whom Virtue/Moir continue to be superior. I respect Davis/White both as skaters and as people, but IMHO, they have not surpassed V/M.

And I'm a Canadian who thinks D/W have surpassed V/M. ;) See, nationalism doesn't always hold true!

V/M have had some consistency issues, and D/W are proving to be sharp, and increasing their ease across the ice and difficulty. Personally I'm fine with D/W beating V/M in Sochi if they skate better. V/M already have an Olympic gold and it's gotten to a point where (IMO) D/W are better.

LauraV

On the Ice
D/W and V/M have different strengths but they still seem to be pretty evenly matched. D/W may have a slight edge in their seasonal progression at this moment, but the two teams usually end up at about the same place at the end of the season, so the OGM looks to be an open issue, to me anyway. This season, I like both teams' FDs but I'm not wild about either SD yet. (I was expecting to like the Finnstep, but oddly enough, all of this season's SDs are looking numbingly similar.)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
LauraV, I've got to agree with you. I'm not really loving (or hating) any of this year's SDs yet.
:cry:

LauraV

On the Ice
Doris, you mentioned elsewhere that this season's requirement that the two compulsory patterns be skated back to back gives all the SDs a repetitive feel, and I think that's a good point that helps explain why this season's SDs look more "rigid" - not sure if that is the right word, but that is what I am coming up with at the moment.