Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Is it game over for Virtue and Moir already?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg2Ozj1R0bw"]V/M SC 2013 FD[/

On another note I sincerely hope Tessa Virtue or any member of her family/team don't happen to read some of the comments regarding her size here..
    Then, one must certainly recoil when following a thread on the rising star, Gracie Gold--a much younger, less experienced skating celebrity than the dance team under discussion here.

^ Or Julia Lipnitskaia, younger yet.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lee View Post
    Scott is probably the best male ice dancer ever.
    Please. He's barely visible, when they dance all I see is Tessa. Charlie is a far better partner, because aside of showing Meryl off, lifting her etc., he shows himself off as well. I mean, you cannot simply overlook Charlie. You most definitely can overlook Scott (I usually do, to the extent sometimes I don't even remember what costume he was wearing).
    Besides, for the best ice dancers ever, try Povilas Vanagas. IMO, one of the best out there, underappreciated because he skated with a less talented partner (although they were both masters of expression, so it worked very well anyway). I think I even read once that he was offered to skate with Grishuk at some point.

I am also certain some of the ice dance legends from many years ago were tons better than Scott too, however, can't really tell, haven't been following skating for that long.

Tessa is muscular, and very healthy looking, there is no fat there, she just is not as thin as in Vancouver. And maybe by Sochi, she will have lost a few pounds from the severe amount of exercise. There are many ice dancers her size. It is a simple fact Charlie /meryl have size advantage now, as do Shibs. I rewatched Mahler ad other dances. I think their acting in love is very seductive and they know it. It may be that they have to go with less difficult lifts. Scott has injured his neck before. I also wonder if Tessa's compartment syndrome is acting up. But she is simply not as quick as she was, and while I too am seduced by their beauty-Tessa really works the sexy sultry "we're secret lovers look," it is not enough for the judges.

Charlie looks great in his costume/Meryl is pink confection in the SD. They are superb. There are always great dancers and often they score close. I can't help but be amazed by marlie. I certainly am an ice dance fan due to the 3 Canton teams. I really love marlies' programs-they look impossibly difficult. They are really well matched and Charlie has closed ay gap that Scott once had.

Tessa is so sexy, people just love this team. For me theior Vancouver days were their peak, and they should be thrilled. I am surprised they did not just move on to shows and Tessa's desire to go to school, then law school. I get the vibe Scott really wanted to go for another Olympics. I think it will be poetic when both leave the sport, with OGM and OSM. It was a great rivalry, and we have a few performances left. I personally can't take eyes of Tessa as she is a great dancer. I think the only question is bronze?

I think that will be a huge battle too, and it will be a wonderful podium in Sochi. It will be the first dance podium that I will really like all 3. These really are great days for ice dance. I cannot decide yet who I want to root for as far as bronze. may the best programs/teams win!

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    I think many people forget that skaters usually need the whole season to get used to their program. As an adult skater, I'm still getting used to my programs that were choreographed a year and a half ago! That being said, I think that's why it looks like Scott is laboring. Also, the theme of their Seasons program is of a couple that has gone through life together. If the last lift looks slow and labored to people, that's what I take that section as-- two people in their twilight years.
    I get that people make excuses for their favorites... heck, I engage in some convoluted justifications sometimes concerning skaters I'm fond of.

But are you seriously suggesting that the obvious difficulty with the last lift is an intentionally choreographed artistic nuance?

Custom Title
    I don't think Tessa is a bit overweight- if anything I have worried about how thin she is over the years. She has not an ounce of extra fat on that body. Please stop the calls for her to lose weight! She has a different frame than Meryl- she has broader shoulders and larger bones. But she does not need to lose weight!

Custom Title
    The problem is not that she needs to lose weight but that she is nearly the same size as Scott which presents a problem in executing the extremely complex lifts they have planned for their FD. They manage to do the lifts, but they look rather awkward instead of smooth and graceful. They had the same problem with their lifts in Carmen, which improved gradually as the year rolled on, but they never were able to get those lifts so that they looked easy and natural. And they had more time to get them under control---Sochi is in less than 4 months; Worlds '13 was 5 months after SC.

I noticed that the Italian couple Guignard / Fabbri are also similar in size, and they too are trying to do complicated lifts. They are not nearly as skilled dancers as V/M, and their lifts are so clumsy that she looks like a load of laundry he is trying to get a hold of.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post

I noticed that the..... couple.....are also similar in size, and they too are trying to do complicated lifts. They are not nearly as skilled dancers as V/M, and their lifts are so clumsy that she looks like a load of laundry he is trying to get a hold of.
    This has to be the most colorful (entertaining) statement of the day! I've never heard it put that way. I'm afraid we'll be envisioning lots of "loads of laundry" heaved by the time this Olympic Cycle is completed. Thanks for the chuckle!

Custom Title
    The problem is not that she needs to lose weight but that she is nearly the same size as Scott which presents a problem in executing the extremely complex lifts they have planned for their FD. They manage to do the lifts, but they look rather awkward instead of smooth and graceful. They had the same problem with their lifts in Carmen, which improved gradually as the year rolled on, but they never were able to get those lifts so that they looked easy and natural. And they had more time to get them under control---Sochi is in less than 4 months; Worlds '13 was 5 months after SC.

I noticed that the Italian couple Guignard / Fabbri are also similar in size, and they too are trying to do complicated lifts. They are not nearly as skilled dancers as V/M, and their lifts are so clumsy that she looks like a load of laundry he is trying to get a hold of.
    I'd like to remind everyone that one of the most delightful and talented couples of the last decade, Denkova and Staviskiy, were very similar in size, and they did just fine in every aspect of their skating. And it's generally acknowledged that Tessa and Scott are better skaters than Albena and Maksim. They should do better than fine.

Do you think Chock and Bates have the opposite problem? He is too tall?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I'd like to remind everyone that one of the most delightful and talented couples of the last decade, Denkova and Staviskiy, were very similar in size, and they did just fine in every aspect of their skating. And it's generally acknowledged that Tessa and Scott are better skaters than Albena and Maksim. They should do better than fine.
    Yes, but they were not under COP where lifts are a big portion of the mark

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Yes, but they were not under COP where lifts are a big portion of the mark
    Well, they were ones of those who competed and medalled both under 6.0 and CoP. I would say they were under a different, undeveloped version of CoP, though.
    Actually, if you look at Faiella/Scali and the Kerrs, the size difference was even smaller and both teams did compete and reached their peak under CoP too.

Having said that, all of the mentioned teams performed far less complicated lifts than VM, with the exception of both Federica and Sinead being able to lift their partners, which Tessa clearly is not capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyLex View Post

Having said that, all of the mentioned teams performed far less complicated lifts than VM, with the exception of both Federica and Sinead being able to lift their partners, which Tessa clearly is not capable of.
    I wouldn't assume that. I think that there may be strategic reasons why their team has not ever put a lift where Tessa lifts Scott out there, which may be wholly unrelated to her ability or lack thereof to do it.

I will say something I've said countless times before- they are wasting their talents doing these acrobatic lifts. It is possible to achieve level 4 and high GOE on lifts that are not acrobatic and that they can look good doing. Swan/goose lift in Mahler, anyone? I suspect that such lifts ARE much harder to come up with. But what else is Marina Zoueva supposed to be there for, for goodness sake?

Custom Title
    I loved Carmen lifts because those lifts fitting the music and ''Carmen'' character. I can't say this for this year's FD. You can see how SC crowd reacted those lifts.

Do we have a name for Tessa/Scott's dance? Like Mahler,Latin,Funny Face, Carmen.

Custom Title
    I think my mom has the same nightgown Tessa is wearing for her FD. It is game over when you bring out nightgown.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast