2013 Warsaw Cup, Poland 14-17.11 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2013 Warsaw Cup, Poland 14-17.11

The results are up. No videos yet, though.

Senior Ladies SP and half of Senior Men SP is up though.

Senior Ladies SP

Recap of some of the more interesting performances.

4. Isabelle Olsson SWE

Her stewardess SP was awesome but this is booooring. :p

6. Aleksandra Golovkina LTU

I don't remember seeing her before but that was a solid 3loop and 2axel. Shame about the popped salchow. Skating and performance were a little sluggish but can't argue with the jumps. Between Kizalaite, her and Januleviciute, Lithuania has the best Ladies team in their history. :)

7. Fleur Maxwell LUX

Beautifully elegant as always, great spins but THIS.MUZAK. Bloody hell!

I hope she continues skating for the next 243 years, outlasting Fumie Suguri. :party:

8. Inga Januleviciute LTU

When her jumps fail, there really isn't anything else to hold her up. Her movements are really wooden and her posture is just shockingly bad.

12. Elizaveta Ukolova CZE

Well done on the jumps. Solid 3loop. 3lutz(no speed out)/2toe axel. 2axel (weak landing). Spins not bad although flying sit was slow. Czech Republic finally has a lady who can land the difficult jumps! Basics and expression need work, though.

13. Agata Kryger POL

SHE DID IT! 3toe/2toe, 3salchow, 2axel - all solid! (break after steps though). Improved spins (although biellmann barely eeked out). She needs more speed and expression but this was AWESOME for her ability. I am so happy for her. I really hope that PFSA sends her to Euros now. :)

14. Colette Kaminski POL

Sorry but we ordered Zawadzki. ;) A late addition to the roster. She must have only just got the clearance to represent Poland. 2axel was solid but sadly triples nowhere near rotated.

16. Anine Rabe NOR

Whilst her jumps aren't very impressive and the program is typical generic GFB fare, she is an excellent spinner!

OMG, Agata Kryger won Senior Ladies!!! :eek:

Maciej Cieplucha was spoon-fed a chance for a silver or even gold, sadly he blew it. :(

hanca

Record Breaker
12. Elizaveta Ukolova CZE

Well done on the jumps. Solid 3loop. 3lutz(no speed out)/2toe axel. 2axel (weak landing). Spins not bad although flying sit was slow. Czech Republic finally has a lady who can land the difficult jumps! Basics and expression need work, though.

Imported lady. Elizaveta is originally Russian.

cassiem

On the Ice
She is originally Russian but calling her imported is ridiculous. She's lived in the Czech Republic since she was two!

hanca

Record Breaker
She is originally Russian but calling her imported is ridiculous. She's lived in the Czech Republic since she was two!

She may have lived in the Czech Republic, but the majority of her life she was a Russian Citizen. She only obtained Czech citizenship in 2012! 14 years of being Russian, against one year being Czech... That's in my view 'import'.

cassiem

On the Ice
She's a homegrown Czech skater. She learned to skate in the Czech Republic, not Russia.

hanca

Record Breaker
She's a homegrown Czech skater. She learned to skate in the Czech Republic, not Russia.

I think what makes a Czech person Czech is not where you learn to skate, but what culture you accept, what country you are proud of etc. She may have been taught skating in the Czech republic, but I wouldn't go as far as saying 'homegrown' because her citizenship indicates where her 'home' was for her. So it wasn't for her 'homegrown', she was just a Russian girl living abroad.

Russians occupied Czech republic for over twenty years (1968 - 1991). The Russians who lived on the Czech lands for 20 plus years did not become Czechs... Living somewhere does not make you automatically 'homegrown'.

I think what makes a Czech person Czech is not where you learn to skate, but what culture you accept, what country you are proud of etc. She may have been taught skating in the Czech republic, but I wouldn't go as far as saying 'homegrown' because her citizenship indicates where her 'home' was for her. So it wasn't for her 'homegrown', she was just a Russian girl living abroad.

Calling her an 'imported' skater was still wrong because she's been living there since she was 2 years old and she was taught how to skate there by Czech coaches.

As for everything else you have said, you have no right to make those judgements when you have no idea how the process went, what her considerations were and what she actually thinks and feels.

You have to be a permanent resident for 10 years in order to apply for citizenship so it wasn't even an option until she was 12 (or maybe even later provided on how it was all handled by her parents when they moved there). Having first hand experience of Eastern European bureaucracy, it is very possible that the actual process itself is long, difficult and might take ages. Furthermore, in order to obtain Czech citizenship, she would have to renounce her Russian citizenship and that's not an easy decision to make.

cassiem

On the Ice
We don't know why she didn't have Czech citizenship before. And I'm well aware of the history between the Czech Republic and Russia. Bad history between those countries, her citizenship, what her culture may be, etc., it's all irrelevant to this discussion. A homegrown athlete does not refer to where a person considers home but where they were trained. Elizaveta did not learn skating in Russia but in the CR therefore she's a homegrown Czech skater. Suggesting that she's an import is wrong because it subtly implies that the Czechs stole an athlete.

hanca

Record Breaker
Suggesting that she's an import is wrong because it subtly implies that the Czechs stole an athlete.

If you import something, you don't steal it! Importing and stealing are two completely different words. Please use dictionary if you don't understand the meaning of the words.

hanca

Record Breaker
Calling her an 'imported' skater was still wrong because she's been living there since she was 2 years old and she was taught how to skate there by Czech coaches.

As for everything else you have said, you have no right to make those judgements when you have no idea how the process went, what her considerations were and what she actually thinks and feels.

You have to be a permanent resident for 10 years in order to apply for citizenship so it wasn't even an option until she was 12 (or maybe even later provided on how it was all handled by her parents when they moved there). Having first hand experience of Eastern European bureaucracy, it is very possible that the actual process itself is long, difficult and might take ages. Furthermore, in order to obtain Czech citizenship, she would have to renounce her Russian citizenship and that's not an easy decision to make.

Firstly, Czech republic allows dual citizenship!

Secondly, trust me that you are not the only one who has experienced Eastern European bureaucracy. I have lived there so I would know about it. However, I still insist that she is far from being Czech. The fact that she lived there or learned to skate there does not make her Czech. And I am saying it based on personal experience of loads of Russian people living in the Czech Republic.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Anastasia Gubanova wins Advanced Novice Ladies while being only 10 years old? 6 triples?

Hrm, she will be too young even for the 2018 olympics .-.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Stolbova /Klimov have a triple twist!! And it's beautiful.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
Hurraaay for my skating coach the lovely Camilla Gjersem grabing the silver medal here!! Yaay Norway is finally making a statement in skating

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
I am catching up on some of the events now.

Junior Men FS

Sondre Oddvoll Boe FS
He really gave it his 100%. All the jumps landed (although second 3toe was a little cheated), decent expression throughout. I hope he can build on this and make it to the FS at Junior Worlds this year.

Now what I am wondering is what is the correct spelling of his surname. :p ISU biography has it as Oddvoll Boe but Warsaw Cup organisers have it as Oddervoll Boe.

Krzystof Gała FS

3axel/2toe and a fall on a fully rotated 4toe! We haven't ever seen this kind of technical content from a Polish skater! I really wish he could develop more confidence and projection and stop sleepwalking through his programs, though.

Kamil Dymowski FS

Last season, Dymowski has beaten Gała at Nationals. I don't think that it's going to happen again. This was such a wooden, sloppy performance in all aspects. To think this guy used to be a ballroom dancer and that presentation was his strong point... Very disappointing.

Hahah Ziggy his name in Norwegian is Sondre Oddvoll Bøe :) and thank you so much for your kind words about him, i will show this to him :)

cassiem

On the Ice
If you import something, you don't steal it! Importing and stealing are two completely different words. Please use dictionary if you don't understand the meaning of the words.
Take your own advice since you clearly have no understanding of the words homegrown and import.