What would results at all Worlds and Olympics since 2000 have been had all skate cleanly | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What would results at all Worlds and Olympics since 2000 have been had all skate cleanly

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Tara with just 1 triple-triple beat a clean Michelle and Nagano, and the judges like Irina only about 5 times more than they liked Tara in the matchup with Michelle.

No, Tara had TWO 3-3 combos, along with two 3Lutzes.

And Slutskaya getting 5.9's from Russian judges doesn't mean anything. She was not going to beat Kwan at the 2002 Olympics if the latter skated perfectly. Period. Irina beat Kwan so much because Kwan never skated near her best earlier in the 2000-2002 seasons. Irina gave one amazing performance at the 2000 season GPF and the judges kept thinking she would deliver to that level at every competition for the next 2 and a half years afterward...but she never did. However, she was technically strong and consistent, so she kept being over-rewarded because the judges felt safe with her.

But, after 2 years of never actually delivering on the same level as what Kwan showed at 2000 Worlds and 2001 Worlds, Slutskaya lost her anointment. At the 2002 Olympics, it was up to Kwan to make the mistake in order for Slutskaya to win. Kwan was the most artistic and a 4 time World Champion, in comparison to Slutskaya being a 0-time World Champion. Hence why Slutskaya lost the SP to Kwan at 2002 Olympics, even though the tech mark is the tiebreaker in that segment of the competition.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
I think what you're saying here is what "should" have happened at all these competitions--the skater with the most beautiful and hardest program shoulda won. Or, the order the judges "wanted" it to be, most likely.

That's why some people want falls, major mistakes, etc. to count for more than they do. Sometimes it seems like they decide who "should" win and it doesn't vary from that. I don't see how Lambiel and Abbott ever would have gotten medals over Lysacek and Evgeni, in either order.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
That's why some people want falls, major mistakes, etc. to count for more than they do. Sometimes it seems like they decide who "should" win and it doesn't vary from that. I don't see how Lambiel and Abbott ever would have gotten medals over Lysacek and Evgeni, in either order.

I am baffled by your implication in the bolded part. Lambiel in his prime was a better skater than Lysacek. Evan is lucky that he peaked in 2009-2010 when everyone was either retired, coming back from retirement and past their prime, or coming back from an injury. Evan only beat Lambiel in 1 competition from 2005-2008. Even with Evan's lucky World and Olympic wins Lambiel still arguably has the better career with 2 World titles + Olympic silver and 2 Grand Prix final titles.

Abbott at his best is also a far better skater than Evan, but unfortunately due to his problems with nerves and competing and lack of clout that Evan has in spades from the USFSA he has achieved less.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Abbott at his best is also a far better skater than Evan, but unfortunately due to his problems with nerves and competing and lack of clout that Evan has in spades from the USFSA he has achieved less.

I am often annoyed by how USFSA chooses to dole out their support, but I do have to say that I think they'd have supported Abbott far, FAR more if he were able to control his nerves even somewhat

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I am often annoyed by how USFSA chooses to dole out their support, but I do have to say that I think they'd have supported Abbott far, FAR more if he were able to control his nerves even somewhat

I adore Jeremy, but even I am at my wit's end with his nerves/focus issues after his performances at Skate Canada this weekend.