Thread: Computer help

Computer help

This ASUS is possessed. lo. Seriously. around March, my computer literate PCA noticed issues. In Yahoo mail, I could not get a sentence without the curser jumping back and wrecking sentences. My brother has tried messing remotely with I do not have money to go to Best Buy. They screwed me with my Mac Book Pro. Under warranty, I got only half the value after 7 trips out. Asus- the ins was almost price of puter. My brother remotes in but says it is me. I am knowing others see this issue. It has others. I do not have Microsoft word. it happens on notepad. open office.

My tremor makes it tough to type and I have tried diff settings but I know this must be a software issue. am very puter illiterate. I don't have time to take a course, and have huge issues. GS is one of my few diversions as I love skating.

My brother has no time-I'm abandoned here actually. My de stresser is FS videos, and the forums teach me IJS (memory issues due to meningitis age 28) so I have a few things I enjoy and can do. It has been messing up. I know one computer guy but he's in chemo and nasty at times. I want to give up. So, can any of you young or old tech saavy people suggest ? When I run scans, it says I don't have virus.... I type with one hand lying down, so I have a tough time just doing that.

I know this isn't me. I do notice flukey things, it seems the keypad is very sensitive, opening things I am not clicking on,

Any ideas I can try are appreciated. TY. My luck has been poor. One thing I can say is I do try as there is no hubby to do for me. So it is try or die most days. I am fed up with my whacky curser going wherever it pleases. Maybe I need an exorcist. Barely joking, LOL. Thank you- so many bright folk here. I really must get this cleaned up but best buy is expensive and often do not solve issues. It took a while to fix the skipping mistakes. DRATz!!!!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Is it possible to use a plug in mouse or USB wireless mouse on your computer? I find the touchpads on laptops are very, well touchy, so I always use a mouse. My hand inadvertently hits the touch pad and off we go into strange land. On a PC, you can disable the touchpad.

If you've got cursor problems and are using a wireless mouse, if there are problems it's often because the mouse needs a new battery.

I'm often in bed lying down. I always only have laptops because I could never sit long enough. when I prop up my elbow, I use two fingers to type. This problem began at a certain time hen a pca was using it to shop and post when I was in another room.

I don't think that will fix this because it isn't me touching the keypad at all. It does it everywhere, the worst in email. Now it is doing it in forums. I have no luck, Doris. Everything goes like this and I can't cope. The computer and its necessity in todays' world and to a semi invalid. I don't have a smart phone. My phone has a barely useable internet. Even 411is useless. So I need to look up numbers. I keep it plugged in now, use a cooler most of the time as bed is foam top. The mac book pro had fewer issues, but sound went and was not fixable.

I hope others here will give me something to try beside using a mouse. maybe God wants me to stop avoiding what I must do. It is so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Is it possible to use a plug in mouse or USB wireless mouse on your computer? I find the touchpads on laptops are very, well touchy, so I always use a mouse. My hand inadvertently hits the touch pad and off we go into strange land. On a PC, you can disable the touchpad.

If you've got cursor problems and are using a wireless mouse, if there are problems it's often because the mouse needs a new battery.
    This is what I thought, as well, with what little info we have to go on.

You have an Apple, yes?

If so, you are not alone

https://discussions.apple.com/article/TS1449

The Apple community has some suggestions here

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1449
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 10-24-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Another support article

There are several possible causes for this issue. Take each of the following steps until it's resolved.

1. Follow the instructions in this support article,
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1449 and also this one,

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1248 if applicable.

2. Open the Bluetooth preference pane in System Preferences and check for unknown or forgotten input devices. Disconnect any USB input devices that you aren't using.

3. Boot in safe mode Here's how: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455
    and test, preferably without launching any third-party applications. If you don't have the problem in safe mode, but it comes back when you reboot as usual, stop here and post your results. If you can't boot in safe mode, do the same. If you booted in safe mode and there was no change, go on to the next step.

4. Reset the System Management Controller.
    Here's how
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

5. If you're using a Bluetooth trackpad, investigate potential sources of interference, including USB 3 devices.

6. A swollen battery in a MacBook Pro or Air can impinge on the trackpad from below and cause erratic behavior. If you have trouble clicking the trackpad, this is likely the reason. The battery must be replaced without delay.

7. Some people have reported that they fixed a malfunctioning trackpad by pressing down on all four corners at once. I can't confirm, but it does no harm to try.

8. There's a report that a (possibly defective) Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter can cause the built-in trackpad of a MacBook to behave erratically. If you're using such an adapter, disconnect it and test.

9. There's also a report of erratic cursor movements caused by an external display that was connected but not turned on.

10. If none of the above applies, or if you have another reason to think that your computer is being remotely controlled, remove it from the network by turning off Wi-Fi (or your Wi-Fi access point), disconnecting from a Bluetooth network link, and unplugging the Ethernet cable or USB modem, whichever is applicable. If the cursor movements stop at once, you should suspect an intrusion.

11. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store to have the machine and/or external trackpad tested.
    http://concierge.apple.com/reservati...n/techsupport/

In windows there is a way to adjust the sensitivity of the touch pad. I don't know how to do it for a Mac. This is a big problem. If it is too sensitive, just breathing on it, or getting your finger too close, seems to send the curser flitting across the screen.

I presume this is why they advise you to go to the Apple Store so much.

There is an article about adjusting Mac trackpad sensitivity here
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...os-x-lion.html

But to be sure, what OS version are you running?

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    This ASUS is possessed. lo.
    You have an Asus computer right??? I have an Asus but not laptop. Anyhow, I find mine is possessed at times too. Anyhow, how old is the computer?? The reason I ask is why you haven't called support??? They can fix remote as well.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr
    maybe God wants me to stop avoiding what I must do. It is so hard.
    I don't think God really cares if you're using the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Another support article
    sorry doris, I wasn't clear I think, the mac bit the dust just have asus laptop windows7, home edition.

Cool. Does it have an eraserhead style pointing device, or does it just have a touchpad?

Here's what worked for at least one guy:

Hello! I love Asus computers and think they are the best in price to price coparisons, but what are they thinking with these stupid touchpads!!!

In my case the Asus touchpad was driving me crazy until a few moments ago, at least I think. Touchpad would randomly scroll by itself, not respond to clicks on the pad and worse of all, the pointer would move in opposite directions as my finger!!! To get it back to normal I would have to bang the pad hard, but the effect never lasted too long!!

I disabled the scrolling feature (and all other "fancy" features) and now seems to work quite normal.

Try disabling all the extras!
    You do that in Control Panel. (Click Start, Control Panel is in the right hand column)
    Then pick Mouse. Touchpad disabling & adjustment is a tab on the Mouse Section. Click on the tab and disable all the fancy stuff. Tell your PCA you did that, she may use those features.

ty i'll try that...its reversible right?

Absolutely reversible. Write down what your original settings were. Then turn them back if you don't like the results. If you have a plug in mouse handy, even if you get everything completely messed up, you can use the old style mouse to set it straight and go back to using the touch pad.

You can also do it one change at a time. Start by just disabling the scrolling feature, save it, and see whether that fixes the problem.