Short Dance: 2013 Skate Canada International | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Short Dance: 2013 Skate Canada International

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
While other boards may allow pseuds or alter egos, Golden Skate does not allow them, and has software in place to detect them.

Mao88

Record Breaker
SHORT DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR (CAN) - 73.15 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
2. Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE (CAN) - 70.35 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
3. Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE (USA) - 60.92 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
4. Ekaterina RIAZANOVA / Ilia TKACHENKO (RUS) - 59.79 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
5. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA / Alexander GAZSI (GER) - 55.91 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
6. Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN (RUS) - 55.63 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
7. Alexandra PAUL / Mitchell ISLAM (CAN) - 53.74 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
8. Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI (ITA) - 52.03 Short Dance, 2nd Copy

bramweld

Record Breaker
If R/T don't step it up for the FD that third spot might be a toss up between S/Z, M/K or S/B:popcorn:

SimplyLex

On the Ice
Gosh, Tessa really needs to get her twizzles together. Whatever happened to them in this area? I remember their twizzles used to be jaw-dropping, but then Meryl and Charlie gained more control over theirs and stole the show from V/M.

Anyway, can anyone explain me what the judge who gave them a +2 GOE for the twizzles was looking at? I mean, maybe I'm not getting something, but I have the impression that lower ranked teams would get -1 or less from all judges.
How is it - when they have a massive bobble like this, is it supposed to be represented in the level they get (hence the level 2) or in their GOE and the level is a completely different matter?

Just curious, I'm not all that great at reading judges/tech panel scores.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
How is it - when they have a massive bobble like this, is it supposed to be represented in the level they get (hence the level 2) or in their GOE and the level is a completely different matter?
Theoretically, in both the level and the GOE ;)

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Gosh, Tessa really needs to get her twizzles together. Whatever happened to them in this area? I remember their twizzles used to be jaw-dropping, but then Meryl and Charlie gained more control over theirs and stole the show from V/M.

Anyway, can anyone explain me what the judge who gave them a +2 GOE for the twizzles was looking at? I mean, maybe I'm not getting something, but I have the impression that lower ranked teams would get -1 or less from all judges.

They were skating in Canada...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

a botched level especially on twizzles merits negative GOE's but then they skated on home ice
either the judge who gave them +2s needs correctional or lasik surgery or the shady grand prix host made some back door guarantees
it is afterall the Olympics season, they can't afford to lose by a huge margin to the stunning form, technicality and performances of D/W

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Look at the protocol. They got L4 for their twizzles, but only +1 GOE from the judges. Their step sequence got only L2 again with +1 GOE. Then came the Finnstep. After getting only level3 on the first pattern of the FinnStep, they totally blew the second pattern. I had UniversalSports on and Tanith Belbin was commenting. She noted that they got off on the wrong beat right at start of the second pattern and took that level down to L1. They got all 0 and -1 GOE for both patterns of the Finnstep. They did get some +2 GOE for their L4 rotational lift, but overall neither the tech team nor the judges were impressed with Paul/Islam's SD. They had the lowest PCS scores in the competition.

And this probably didn't take obnoxiously long to point out, and yet there you have a good explanation for the scores for the audience. Looking forward to Tanith's commentary for NBC!

deedee1

Record Breaker
Not seeing actual performances (just because nothing except Singles broadcasted on TV at all in Japan over these years :sarcasm:) and being rooting for Kaitlyn/Andrew, but I am :eek: myself to look at the results afterward...to see how close these two teams and Kaitlyn/Andrew did beat Tessa/Scott in TES! oh my. What happened to Tessa/Scott???

1 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR CAN 73.15 35.34 37.81
2 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN 70.35 35.91 34.44

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not seeing actual performances (just because nothing except Singles broadcasted on TV at all in Japan over these years :sarcasm:) and being rooting for Kaitlyn/Andrew, but I am :eek: myself to look at the results afterward...to see how close these two teams and Kaitlyn/Andrew did beat Tessa/Scott in TES! oh my. What happened to Tessa/Scott???

1 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR CAN 73.15 35.34 37.81
2 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN 70.35 35.91 34.44

This is not the first time the two of them have been close. They were actually closer at the 2012 Canadian Nationals in the SD. W/P scored 68.27 to V/M's 68.41; a virtual tie. W/P beat V/M on the TES at that event in the SD: 33.59 to 31.50. I'm sure it must have been a relief for Tessa/Scott not to have to contend with Kaitlin/Andrew at the 2013 Canadian Nationals due to Weaver's injury withdrawal. Virtue/Moir have been a little off their game this entire Olympic cycle.

tulosai

Record Breaker

Scott's got an issue with them too. As a team they really have to address this at this point. They only got level 2 on them and they were, relatively speaking, punished on GOE though they should have been punished more. If they can't consistently do level 4 twizzles better for a team of their caliber to do level 3 instead and nail them every time, such that the judges give +3 GOEs.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
What defines levels in twizzles anyway? Change of position? change of legs? change of the rotation?

Also, how does it influence the score when a team does a 3-section twizzle versus a 2-section twizzle? Tessa and Scott always go for the 3-section, while Meryl and Charlie do the 2-section and still get level 4 for it, so I'd think it doesn't matter?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is about the ridiculous scoring for me. Patrick Chan scoring 88 + without a quad vs Yuzu scoring a little above 80 with one is ridiculous. And, please do not lecture me on the fact that a failed jump does not determine a whole score. PCS are a joke. How the heck does Chan outscore Yuzu by four points tonight?! How the heck does Oda get such relatively low PCS? I am so sick of this.

DORISPULASKI, please help me understand the scores? Pretty please... :think:

Well about the no quad remember a certain skater by the name of Evan who is not the quality of pcs of even Abbott or Chan did very well without a quad. I actually think chan does not get full credit pc wise comparatively. Hanyu sort of looked a bit juniorish and his edges are not as clean and secure or as deep as Chan's. i used to remember the marks Lambiel got and I think Chan is better pc wise but skating stil focuses on the jumps so Chan doesn't like Dai always get full credit. And while I don't like Chan's choic of music - he is a introspective artist - the lilt the gestures - quite devine. I also think Abbott has many of these qualities but not quite at Chan's level yet.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Two competitions into the Grand Prix and its frustrating to watch the Finnstep section stick out like a thorn. Either the lower tier teams look sluggish with the quick movements, or maybe these coaches/choreographers don't seem to integrate the compulsory pattern very well into the program. They need to find better music cuts to suit that portion.

Uploaded the top two SDs (no commentary) --

Weaver/Poje: http://youtu.be/C_6U5NZOlLU
Virtue Moir: http://youtu.be/tKRuDvj-Lpg

I enjoyed the SDs from the top CDN teams! I'm with Tracy Wilson - that midline step from Tessa and Scott was exquisite.

While well-performed at Skate America, Meryl and Charlie's My Fair Lady feels plain-Jane compared to W/P and V/M's programs. I wish D/W would switch up the music some.

ITA but palin jain is okay. But if we are to accept D and W winning and getting amazing scores and saying masterpieces where thier plain jane or safe rutines (and yes, remember the marks are based on not whether you like the music or if they are stretching themselves as artists but the technicall elements and were they will done and performed regardless of your like or dislike. I wish we would judge Kostner (there are some who think she is constantly overmarked or Mao or Chan in particular. I think the fans or the watchers of skating may be the hypicrites. With all the yelling and screaming we may be estroying the sport and in many cases our contradicting ourselves. COP seaprates things out so yes, you can win with falls because everything elese is so good or another way those who land big tricks and spins may not be so hot pc wise. Watch those transitions Plushy versus Dai or Chan? You don't see the reward for such difficulty really sometiems.

Ianthe

Spectator
Also, how does it influence the score when a team does a 3-section twizzle versus a 2-section twizzle? Tessa and Scott always go for the 3-section, while Meryl and Charlie do the 2-section and still get level 4 for it, so I'd think it doesn't matter?

I am, by no means, a code expert but I suspect that the way D/W enter their twizzles (with a little "hop") makes their 2-section twizzle equal to a 3-section twizzle.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong! :)

tulosai

Record Breaker
What defines levels in twizzles anyway? Change of position? change of legs? change of the rotation?

I think Meryl and Charlie's difficult twizzle entry (they jump into it) is why they get the level 4 with just two twizzles. Levels are partly determined by number of rotations in each twizzle- you need one full turn in each twizzle for level 1, 2 full turns in level 2, 3 full turns in level 3, and 4 full turns in level 4. Then there are additional features that can help you earn levels, grouped in 3 different groups. You need a certain number of these to earn various levels. They're things like preforming a third twizzle of at least 3 rotations (part of how V/M earn their levels), free leg crossed behind the knee (which many pairs do), hands clasped behind back, arm movement, and so on... there are many many options.

Maybe Doris can explain more clearly!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

Ok. I'll take a swag at twizzle scores in general after sc is over.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
(didn't read the whole discussion) Can anyone try to understand the penalty for "illegal movement" that G/F received? It's the third time they perform this program this season and they never received this kind of deduction before... :confused: