Short Dance: 2013 Skate Canada International | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Short Dance: 2013 Skate Canada International

lmarie086

Medalist
Hubbell/Donohue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moMtoUXzleo

This is the first SD I've found thus far, I'll try to make sure I post others if/as I find them! Shame about that fall at the end - looked just like a freak thing. Lucky that it didn't happen on an element! They've only had a week since SA but I thought this performance was even stronger than what we saw a week ago. Hope the FD goes smoother for them, and I can't wait to see them at Nationals.

Now, off to find other videos :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
D/W can actually do the elements though, unlike V/M. This is a sport and should be judged as one.

D/W got L4 on both Finnstep patterns and L4 on the twizzles. V/M's errors on the twizzles were by both Tessa and Scott and obvious even to the casual viewer.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
so Davis/White scored 75+ at Skate America...while Tessa and Scott 2 points lower
Should have been about 7 points lower. No way is that program 2 points inferior to D/W. They should not get those high levels off Canadian soil. The judges in Finlandia pretty much nailed it about right. The program is worth about 67. 68 if the tech caller is Canadian.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Should have been about 7 points lower. No way is that program 2 points inferior to D/W. They should not get those high levels off Canadian soil. The judges in Finlandia pretty much nailed it about right. The program is worth about 67. 68 if the tech caller is Canadian.

judging at Finlandia Trophy was generally rough for everyone, especially for finnstep patterns. Here, at SC Tessa & Scott did only one major error in tech side - in twizzles and one pattern was level 3, te rest was very good, especially step sequence which earned level 4 and +3 GOE. The range of PCS score for both teams are pretty the same, so I'm saying again - I don't see why Virtue/Moir should be scored 7 points lower...

aftertherain

Record Breaker
judging at Finlandia Trophy was generally rough for everyone, especially for finnstep patterns. Here, at SC Tessa & Scott did only one major error in tech side - in twizzles and one pattern was level 3, te rest was very good, especially step sequence which earned level 4 and +3 GOE. The range of PCS score for both teams are pretty the same, so I'm saying again - I don't see why Virtue/Moir should be scored 7 points lower...

I think at this level, if both teams are at their very best, you'd have to nitpick to judge. However, this outing was certainly not V/M's best. The twizzles were an obvious error, for sure. That aside, some of their other footwork wasn't as synchronized as it should have been (nitpicking).

But they definitely deserved first place. If we're going to call out the judging here at SC, might as well point out that there was massive inflation going on at SA too.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I wholeheartedly agree.

sweetskates1

Medalist
You just took my thoughts and posted before I could! Thanks for posting this truth. C/L were much better than both V/M and W/P. Let's rewatch the SD master class displayed at SA and then we will talk GF2445.

The score was way too high though.. no doubt. Even Weaver/Poje score was way high, even though they should have been leading. I know it is not a good idea to compare scores between competitions, but there is no way either of those performances deserved a score higher than Cappellini/Lanotte received last week. Outside of Canada, neither of those dances would have received higher than 66-68.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I think at this level, if both teams are at their very best, you'd have to nitpick to judge. However, this outing was certainly not V/M's best. The twizzles were an obvious error, for sure. That aside, some of their footwork wasn't as synchronized as it should have been (nitpicking).

But they definitely deserved first place. If we're going to call out the judging here at SC, might as well point out that there was massive inflation going on at SA too.

Skate America had inflated scores... but boy oh boy.. this is a whole other level of inflation. They tried to give V/M world record scores before they leave Canadian soil. At their nationals you will probably see a 80 for that short dance. It would not surprise me one bit if we see about a 114 for that simple/easy freedance here at Skate Canada.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Crazy DW fanatics deluding themselves that DW have better skills :laugh:
But what we say can be backed up with what is actually seen on the ice. Virtue/Moir has easy programs and still find a way to screw them up. They tried with Carmen to bring the difficulty, couldn't handle it. It was too hard for them. The only response we get from someone defending V/M is "Oh they have a body line", "Oh their legs match", "Oh Scott has a straight free-leg". SO WHAT!!!! This is a SPORT! If we want a ballerina call Svetlana Boginskaya to the skating.

sweetskates1

Medalist
D/W, imo, are much better technically than V/M. And it is painfully obvious to the naked eye that D/W are better in terms of speed and difficulty. I am not alone in my assessment and I find it highly offensive that you label me and others that feel like I do as "deluded fanatics".

Now, this is not about D/W or V/M. The discontent stems from the ridiculous and unjust scoring - again! Surprise!

Crazy DW fanatics deluding themselves that DW have better skills :laugh:

SGrand

Final Flight
But what we say can be backed up with what is actually seen on the ice. Virtue/Moir has easy programs and still find a way to screw them up. They tried with Carmen to bring the difficulty, couldn't handle it. It was too hard for them. The only response we get from someone defending V/M is "Oh they have a body line", "Oh their legs match", "Oh Scott has a straight free-leg". SO WHAT!!!! This is a SPORT! If we want a ballerina call Svetlana Boginskaya to the skating.

Isn't Boginskaya a gymnast? Lol