Short Dance: 2013 Skate Canada International | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Short Dance: 2013 Skate Canada International

SGrand

Final Flight
D/W, imo, are much better technically than V/M. And it is painfully obvious to the naked eye that D/W are better in terms of speed and difficulty. I am not alone in my assessment and I find it highly offensive that you label me and others that feel like I do as "deluded fanatics".

Now, this is not about D/W or V/M. The discontent stems from the ridiculous and unjust scoring - again! Surprise!

Both teams are really quite different and have different strengths and weaknesses, but I don't think anyone can call what either team is doing, EASY. They all execute some of the most difficult moves in ice dance, they just make it look easy so it's easy to say it's, well, EASY.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
Just watched V/M's SD and I gotta say, the way some are carrying on you would think that Tessa completely wiped out on the twizzle, it was just a bobble. They were a bit off in their unison, but I don't think you can really call that program a disaster, I quite liked it, and I'm not even a V/M fan.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Plus D/W are awesome performers with wonderfully displayed choreography in all of their programs. I love each of them as individual performers and together as a dance team. They always lit up my face with a smile. Meryl is so girly and graceful while Charlie is such a powerful maverick! They bring these traits along with an insane level of speed and difficulty to every performance.

Anyway, I really want to emphasize that I am most annoyed with the scoring system.

But what we say can be backed up with what is actually seen on the ice. Virtue/Moir has easy programs and still find a way to screw them up. They tried with Carmen to bring the difficulty, couldn't handle it. It was too hard for them. The only response we get from someone defending V/M is "Oh they have a body line", "Oh their legs match", "Oh Scott has a straight free-leg". SO WHAT!!!! This is a SPORT! If we want a ballerina call Svetlana Boginskaya to the skating.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Absolutely, all teams at this level are executing extremely difficult elements. D/W have an added layer of difficulty and speed throughout their programs though. Again, this is my opinion.

Both teams are really quite different and have different strengths and weaknesses, but I don't think anyone can call what either team is doing, EASY. They all execute some of the most difficult moves in ice dance, they just make it look easy so it's easy to say it's, well, EASY.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Just watched V/M's SD and I gotta say, the way some are carrying on you would think that Tessa completely wiped out on the twizzle, it was just a bobble. They were a bit off in their unison, but I don't think you can really call that program a disaster, I quite liked it, and I'm not even a V/M fan.

I agree. The thing I do not agree with is the score and them being ahead of Weaver/Poje. Isn't this the second or third time Weaver/Poje got cheated in Canada to the benefit of Virtue/Moir?

sweetskates1

Medalist
Meryl is so girly and light and graceful. Tessa is very womanly and she pulls off sensual. They are very different and both amazing. However, I prefer Meryl.

What is wrong with Tessa's body lines? She is really quite amazing, much more natural than Meryl, in my opinion anyway.

SGrand

Final Flight
Absolutely, all teams at this level are executing extremely difficult elements. D/W have an added layer of difficulty and speed throughout their programs though. Again, this is my opinion.

I think you are definitely correct about speed. And they seem to thrive where others get nervous and they are quite meticulous. I will not take any of that away from them, they are awesome to watch. But there is something different, and very special about Scott and Tessa's skating as well that I don't think anyone should really deny. Like I said, there are things that these teams make look very simple but are actually very, very difficult. These are the things that I find moats fans of these teams seem to fight over. It's strange to me as I find both amazing and am proud of them for bringing NA to the top of ice dance.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Crazy DW fanatics deluding themselves that DW have better skills :laugh:

From what D/W have been putting out on the ice so far this season, they definitely are showing better skills than V/M. Part of "skills" = not making mistakes on fundamental technical elements.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
D/W, imo, are much better technically than V/M. And it is painfully obvious to the naked eye that D/W are better in terms of speed and difficulty. I am not alone in my assessment and I find it highly offensive that you label me and others that feel like I do as "deluded fanatics".

Now, this is not about D/W or V/M. The discontent stems from the ridiculous and unjust scoring - again! Surprise!

Well just as many see V/M being so much better than D/W, so each to his/her own.

Of course it's about D/W & V/M. And at SA so many people commented on the inflated (or to use your words "unjust") scores. But whatever. Instead of enjoying the beauty of ice dance, as the Olympic season progresses ubers will become more & more fanatic & deluded. Their jealousy of the reigning Olympic Gold medalists has already become red hot & they try to dethrone them through hate & ignorance of the sport in general. Sad creatures ...:scratch: won't work!

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Meryl is so girly and light and graceful. Tessa is very womanly and she pulls off sensual. They are very different and both amazing. However, I prefer Meryl.

But Scott always has problems with lifting Tessa. The judges still refuse to penalize them for this. Almost every competition they have problems with getting in and out of the lifts..... This is why the average person will never take this "Sport" seriously or respect it. When V/M flaws are pointed out, the response is always about how Scott can point his toes or how they have a matching leg. I mean seriously? Really?..... I wonder how the greatest athletes of all time, such as Michael Phelps, Steffi Graf, Serena Williams and Michael Jordan would feel if they were judged by having matching legs?....

I mean seriously, if I told someone this who did not know about figure skating they would die of laughter.

sweetskates1

Medalist
It is about the ridiculous scoring for me. Patrick Chan scoring 88 + without a quad vs Yuzu scoring a little above 80 with one is ridiculous. And, please do not lecture me on the fact that a failed jump does not determine a whole score. PCS are a joke. How the heck does Chan outscore Yuzu by four points tonight?! How the heck does Oda get such relatively low PCS? I am so sick of this.

DORISPULASKI, please help me understand the scores? Pretty please... :think:

Well just as many see V/M being so much better than D/W, so each to his/her own.

Of course it's about D/W & V/M. And at SA so many people commented on the inflated (or to use your words "unjust") scores. But whatever. Instead of enjoying the beauty of ice dance, as the Olympic season progresses ubers will become more & more fanatic & deluded. Their jealousy of the reigning Olympic Gold medalists has already become red hot & they try to dethrone them through hate & ignorance of the sport in general. Sad creatures ...:scratch: won't work!

SGrand

Final Flight
But Scott always has problems with lifting Tessa. The judges still refuse to penalize them for this. Almost every competition they have problems with getting in and out of the lifts..... This is why the average person will never take this "Sport" seriously or respect it. When V/M flaws are pointed out, the response is always about how Scott can point his toes or how they have a matching leg. I mean seriously? Really?..... I wonder how the greatest athletes of all time, such as Michael Phelps, Steffi Graf, Serena Williams and Michael Jordan would feel if they were judged by having matching legs?....

I mean seriously, if I told someone this who did not know about figure skating they would die of laughter.

Your argument bringing up other sports, sports that are not judged on artistic components as well, has no bearing on this "argument". Maybe phelps does point his toes, maybe Serena extends her limbs more, maybe it makes them better players lol. Still, they are judged solely on points earned where everything is pretty concrete, you either beat the others time or serve for match and win, or you don't.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Your argument bringing up other sports, sports that are not judged on artistic components as well, has no bearing on this "argument". Maybe phelps does point his toes, maybe Serena extends her limbs more, maybe it makes them better players lol. Still, they are judged solely on points earned where everything is pretty concrete, you either beat the others time or serve for match and win, or you don't.

In that case V/M should just walk on the ice, show the judges their matching legs, and viola. Case closed. Gold medal is theirs. Why bother having a competition if the outcome is already pre-determined. In this Skate Canada competition the winner was already pre-determined before the competition started. Does not matter what actually happens on the ice. They can fall 3 times and still win with a comfortable margin. It's a big joke.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
The skate of the night for me was Weaver/Poje. It was awesome. And so was her face when she saw the score. So happy for them.

I am also very happy for Hubbell and Donohue, even with that fall they managed to set a new PB. I just adore their SD, I found myself humming their music while I cooked dinner tonight. I hope they can hold on and medal tomorrow.

SGrand

Final Flight
In that case V/M should just walk on the ice, show the judges their matching legs, and viola. Case closed. Gold medal is theirs. Why bother having a competition if the outcome is already pre-determined. In this Skate Canada competition the winner was already pre-determined before the competition started. Does not matter what actually happens on the ice. They can fall 3 times and still win with a comfortable margin. It's a big joke.

People probably say the same thing about Davis and White, no? Just because they are fast doesn't mean they are perfect, yet their scores last week pretty much told them that. I'm sure everyone knew they were winning last week, including them.
Do you not see that V/M offer more than just their lines and feet? And anyway, aren't those things, like, really super important in ice dance??? Like, isn't that a main factor, what teams strive for for years and years to achieve?

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
People probably say the same thing about Davis and White, no? Just because they are fast doesn't mean they are perfect, yet their scores last week pretty much told them that. I'm sure everyone knew they were winning last week, including them.
Do you not see that V/M offer more than just their lines and feet? And anyway, aren't those things, like, really super important in ice dance??? Like, isn't that a main factor, what teams strive for for years and years to achieve?

No! There is a big difference. D/W do super difficult elements (Sports), Very fast and very precise. I pointed out the sporting aspects that V/M have trouble with, like Tessa with her twizzles, they tend to get sloppier during the later part of their programs, Scott can barely lift her most the time. These are the elements that classify it as a sport. V/W generally have trouble with these aspects. Matching legs should not have equal weight to the actual sporting aspects of ice dance. Tessa cannot twizzle to save her life, but she can match Scott leg for leg.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I wonder how the greatest athletes of all time, such as Michael Phelps, Steffi Graf, Serena Williams and Michael Jordan would feel if they were judged by having matching legs?....

Who cares how they feel. Their sports didn't measure that.

Ask a syncro diver.

bramweld

Record Breaker
S/B were great!!

S/B were okay. They have interesting choreography but they're not equals. Ivan surpasses her and it shows. Their edges are shallow and maybe it was nerves but Alexandra was stiff. Their slow step sequence had no character, it was stiff. They do have decent twizzles and you see beginnings of a good pair but to say they were great. Not yet, no way the scores were fair. I just wonder how R/T got their marks. They were painfully slow and they lack personality on ice.