Figure Skating Events Schedule 2014 Olympics | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Events Schedule 2014 Olympics

JewelInTheSun

Rinkside
I just have a short question. Is the starting order at pairs in Sochi the reverse world ranking list? Couldn't find any rule on isu.org..

gottadance

On the Ice
cant believe NBC has done such a poor job - they have left out FEb 11th , Pairs short and Feb 17th Dance Free . One would expect better from nbc .

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Are these scheduled skates live? And are they on NBC proper? Is there another NBC cable channel one needs to have or subscribe to.?

Thank you!.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Are these scheduled skates live? And are they on NBC proper? Is there another NBC cable channel one needs to have or subscribe to.?

Thank you!.

You can watch the skating live either on NBC Sports Network or online. Online viewing is only available if you can validate that you are a paid television subscriber (cable or satellite).

So basically in order to watch live you need cable - either to tune into NBC Sports or to validate online.

NBC proper is just going to show the highlights (last group or two I'd guess? - plus all the US skaters) as they have in the past.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
You can watch the skating live either on NBC Sports Network or online. Online viewing is only available if you can validate that you are a paid television subscriber (cable or satellite).

So basically in order to watch live you need cable - either to tune into NBC Sports or to validate online.

NBC proper is just going to show the highlights (last group or two I'd guess? - plus all the US skaters) as they have in the past.

If I have Verizon cable, can I get validated?

gottadance

On the Ice
If I have Verizon cable, can I get validated?

how does one get set up to watch online stuff - can one register in advance ? there doesn't seem to be much information about that anywhere ?!!! thanks to anybody who can help me out - I am having surgery around the time of the Olympics and plan to watch endlessly during my enforced layoff !!

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
cant believe NBC has done such a poor job - they have left out FEb 11th , Pairs short and Feb 17th Dance Free . One would expect better from nbc .

Why do you think that NBC has left them out? They are listed at the link skatingfan4ever provided above.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
how does one get set up to watch online stuff - can one register in advance ? there doesn't seem to be much information about that anywhere ?!!! thanks to anybody who can help me out - I am having surgery around the time of the Olympics and plan to watch endlessly during my enforced layoff !!
Gottadance, thanks for asking- I need answer to this as well!

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Gottadance, thanks for asking- I need answer to this as well!

I just gave information re NBC validation in post #10 above.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Thanks so much Golden411 and breathesgelatin! BG, I am so sorry you don't have cable! I so feel you! I just went through the validation process thanks to you two very nice and helpful people, and it verified me! But I do NOT have NBC Universal so I will not be able to watch live on my TV, only on my computer it seems.

Which brings me to an important question- will online access have Tara and Johnny commentating or no commentary?

I also just found this info on the Sports Illustrated website:

NBCUniversal, naturally, has attempted to present Sochi in the best possible light because they have a lot invested in the product. The company shelled out about $775 million for the U.S. television rights for these games and the Olympics are always an essential driver to promote NBC's morning, primetime and late-night programming as well NBC's cable networks. How much Olympics will NBC air? The networks of NBC -- and its online offerings -- will telecast 1,539 hours of programming from Sochi, more than the total for Vancouver and Torino combined

"Our plan is pretty straightforward: We're going to deliver the most comprehensive coverage the Winter Olympics have ever had," said NBC Sports Group chairman Mark Lazarus.

The breakdown between platforms is as follows: NBC (185 hours), NBCSN (230), MSNBC (45), USA Network (43), CNBC (36) and NBCOlympics.com (1,000 hours online). During the 18 days of the coverage (Feb. 6-23), NBCUniversal will average 85 hours of coverage daily. So good luck sleeping, Ringheads.

Since you're going to need some help navigating through the coverage, we're here to offer this Q&A primer below:

I've heard NBC will be airing events prior to the opening ceremony. Is that true?

Indeed, it is. NBC's primetime coverage of the Sochi Games starts Thursday, Feb. 6 with the debut of snowboard slopestyle (men's and women's), in which two-time gold medalist Shaun White is expected to compete. It's also the debut of team figure skating (the men's short program and pairs short program). Women's moguls will also be shown. The Opening Ceremony then comes the next night

Will every event air live on television?

No. But every event will be available live online for the first time for a Winter Games. Events will be streamed live on NBCOlympics.com and via the NBC Sports Live Extra mobile app (iPhone/iPad/Android). The vast majority of live streaming will only be available to authenticated cable, satellite or telco customers. One important note: The Opening Ceremony will not be streamed online.

Say I want to watch an event on streaming video but I cannot watch it live. Is there some kind of archive after they first air?

NBC says they will restart all of the online feeds for early morning events (U.S. time) each day at 3:00 p.m. ET. That would give people a second opportunity to watch those feeds that are no longer live. After those events run in prime time, the event will be sliced up into highlight form and be available on demand.

Figure skating is always one of the most popular events during a Winter Olympics. What do I need to know to watch?

All the figure skating will air live on cable during the day (Eastern Time), with the key performances airing on tape delay on NBC as they have done in previous Olympics. NBCSN is the designated figure skating channel and coverage will begin the morning of Feb. 8 with the team event. The AP reported a separate announcing team will call the live broadcasts on NBCSN, with Olympians Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir providing commentary.

What is the one channel outside of NBC I should keep my eye on?

NBCSN will show 230 total hours of coverage across multiple sports from Sochi, a record for a cable channel. This is the channel with the most comprehensive coverage during the day including complete, live coverage of figure skating. It will also air 16 men's hockey games through the bronze-medal round, including the men's hockey game between the U.S. and Russia on Feb. 15. NBCSN will also have the U.S. and Canada women's hockey game on Feb. 12 and live gold-medal coverage of events in bobsled (Lolo Jones, alert), Nordic combined, cross-country skiing, speedskating and ski jumping. NBCSN will air at least one gold medal final live each day through its 16 days of coverage. Live coverage on NBCSN will begin at 3 a.m. ET and continue for 12 hours on most days.