Skate Canada 2013-2014 Pairs Short Program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2013-2014 Pairs Short Program

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I hated the last position in the pair's spin... Denney's leg was in one very ugly position...

and I hate that the music speeds up in the footwork but they are still sluggish. There's really no excuse, ice dance has to do a whole lot of crazy steps these days, too, and they maintain speed... pairs skaters need to stop using the levels as an excuse not to attack footwork.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The botched lift likely cost them some levels and got -GOE.

I thought it was botched, but then I didn't pay attention to how they did it in the warm up to reference what was supposed to happen... with all of these weird exits out of elements these days I just wasn't sure.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Lindsay DAVIS / Rockne BRUBAKER (USA)

Music: Le petit fleur and Skolkian Africa Dance by Sidney Bechet and Louis Armstrong

Both in black w/ purple details at hem and neckline

3S - very nice
3Tw - bit low catch, on shoulder
3STh - good flow, free foot low though (small touch-down)
Li - exit seemed off, as in too early, when they wanted to change to new position
PCoSp
StSq - fit the music well
BiDs

Solid improvement since Nebelhorn, seemed smoother and easier across the ice.

SP: 28.47+24.22=52.69

They were really, really good! He is just so good- by far the best male pairs skater active for the US right now. I don't think she's as good, and she made a few little errors (apologizing afterwards), but I was very impressed with them.

riceplate

On the Ice
NICE skate from the Chinese team. Actually brought some personality compared to the crap US teams that preceded them.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN)

Music: La Strada by Nino Rota

Shes in blue/taupe dress with flowes. He's in black pants and blue/black vest over white shirt

3FTh - big and smooth
3T - landed, couldn't see her landing foot because of angle
3Tw - nice, her arms over head
Li - bit wonky at start, but very diff entry
BiDs
StSq - nice, good character
PCoSp

Wow, she's grown and looks bit maturer. There's still a okay height difference, but it's smaller

Score: 39.46+29.56 = 69.02 (PB), in 1st (out of 3)

tulosai

Record Breaker
He is just so good- by far the best male pairs skater active for the US right now.

Let's be honest, that's not hard. I used to be more impressed with him than I am now.I do think this team could have potential but I don't think it's going to happen for them this year and so who knows if he will stick it out another cycle? He is 27 now.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN)

Wow, she's grown and looks bit maturer. There's still a okay height difference, but it's smaller

Score: 39.46+29.56 = 69.02 (PB), in 1st (out of 3)

Yeah I am REALLY impressed with how they've adjusted to her growth.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
This is the first Chinese Pair I've actually loved watching. So good to see them continue to do well!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's weird to see a Canadian Pair that's not Barbie and Paul skate to this song...

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Margaret PURDY / Michael MARINARO (CAN)

Music: Unchained Melody by Alex North

She's in bright red dress. He's in black pants and white/grey ombre shirt

3Tw - very low, landed on shoulder
3T - she twofooted, looked <
Li - completely botched take-off (press-lift), aborted
3LoTh - overrotated, fall
BiDs
StSq
PCoSp

Disaster skate... really too bad for them

SP: 18.64+21.86-1.00=39.50, in 4th (out of 4)

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Canadian team are to close in height he couldn't get her in the lift.
In the replay it looked like her foot got caught in the space between his legs so as she was going up her foot hit the inside of his leg and therefore she couldn't get up above his head. That was unfortunate.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Purdy/Marinaro have long worked with the same conditioning coach as Virtue/Moir.

Her name is Maria Mountain, and she seems super knowledgeable/competent. Each season, V/M always show her the specific lifts that they are performing, and Mountain customizes their workouts accordingly.

Maria Mountain ‏@revcon
Best of luck to Team RevCon athletes Virtue & Moir and Purdy & Marinaro at Skate Canada #Road2Sochi
9:06 AM - 25 Oct 13
https://twitter.com/revcon/status/393770456341577729

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
Just tuned in, suprised by the huge score for the chinese, only Duhamel & Radford could possibly beat that...