Skate Canada 2013-2014 Pairs Short Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2013-2014 Pairs Short Program

tulosai

Record Breaker
actually, they are in the lead because they had 2 pts MORE than the italians in Program Components. So, skating skills, choreo, interpretation,...
And tha, and I'm trying to remain polite, is a travesty. The canadians always impressed me with their guts to try the lutz as an individual jump, but their *ahem* interpretation was so... bland. The italians were on fire, had a great chemistry and were fun to watch. Oh well, skating as we know it.
What bothers me about the order despite the close marks is that we need to remember how the judges seem unable to score objectively throughout the competition, even with just 8 pairs, and increase their scores after each skater, so to skate even 1 spot earlier might cost a place in the end result.

You have to keep in mind transitions though, another part of the PCS which D/R do very well. Their basic skating skills are also strong, IMO moreso than the italians. I think this is another time where it'd be better ifthe judges would makr each of the 5 PCS components individually instead of assigning essentially the same score to each one.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
actually, they are in the lead because they had 2 pts MORE than the italians in Program Components. So, skating skills, choreo, interpretation,...

Well, they also had high base values. That's the reason they could afford mistakes and still be close in the technical score and able to pull into first.

Theirs wasn't the most enjoyable program to me either, but that's never seemed to matter as much as I'd like in this system anyway.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I think this is another time where it'd be better ifthe judges would makr each of the 5 PCS components individually instead of assigning essentially the same score to each one.

Yes, this. I keep getting irritated by this. IMO, this is the biggest failure of this new system. I wish they'd do something about it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
D/R were somewhat though not outrageously overscored on PCS (31.96 with some errors, vs. 32.51 at World's last year... and just 2 points higher than the Italians' PCS). Bear in mind their base value (2 points higher than the B/H) compensated for the errors. But I supposed everyone's PCS is higher this year. Still, the Italians and Chinese should have been ahead of them, although only slightly. Definitely a nail biter in the FS! :D

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Still, the Germans and Chinese should have been ahead of them, although only slightly.

I think you mean the Italians and Chinese ;) Germans are barely in 4th, and will have to hope that the americans keep on doing mistakes, or they'll lose that 4th place... Greetings from Germany! :D

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
You have to keep in mind transitions though, another part of the PCS which D/R do very well. Their basic skating skills are also strong, IMO moreso than the italians. I think this is another time where it'd be better ifthe judges would makr each of the 5 PCS components individually instead of assigning essentially the same score to each one.

This the biggest problem with COp. all 5 components scores should actually reflect each catergory, not random ranking. The judges give skater A deserve 7ish compare to skater B, so they give out 7 regardless of if the program is clean or not.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think you mean the Italians and Chinese ;) Germans are barely in 4th, and will have to hope that the americans keep on doing mistakes, or they'll lose that 4th place... Greetings from Germany! :D

Hah yup, I meant the Italians, but edited it not fast enough. ;)

Sucks to be the other teams though.. I can't recall a competition where the 3 medal contenders were so close and everyone was light years away in the standings.

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD (CAN) -69.57 Short Program
2. Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK (ITA) - 69.38 Short Program
3. Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN) - 69.02 Short Program
4. Mari VARTMANN / Aaron VAN CLEAVE (GER) - 55.08 Short Program
5. Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER (USA) - 55.01 Short Program
6. Paige LAWRENCE / Rudi SWIEGERS (CAN) - 52.94 Short Program
7. Lindsay DAVIS / Rockne BRUBAKER (USA) - 52.69 Short Program
8. Margaret PURDY / Michael MARINARO (CAN) - 39.50 Short Program

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Watched Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK's video and feel they are pretty slow on the ice and the whole program looked jagged (meaning bad transition).
The Chinese pair had far more complicated choreography and much smoother overall.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The Chinese pair has grown up, both physically and skating wise. OK, maybe he hasn't grown much. But he gets the job done.

Good to see Hongbo is one of their coaches.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
S/H looks to have recovered a bit from growing pains last season, but he wont grow any taller that's for sure
D/R score is a joke 69+ for messy jumps, MTM should get higher PCS a 31+ with Duhamel's stiffboard skating and their lift positions are ugly nor is she flexible
she doesn't look pleasing to look at all in any angle :scowl: and Radford acts like a rock. a mismatched pair
B/H were overscored for that boring elements

MTM-M have a chance to beat these two by Nationals

tulosai

Record Breaker
S/H looks to have recovered a bit from growing pains last season, but he wont grow any taller that's for sure
D/R score is a joke 69+ for messy jumps, MTM should get higher PCS a 31+ with Duhamel's stiffboard skating and their lift positions are ugly nor is she flexible
she doesn't look pleasing to look at all in any angle :scowl: and Radford acts like a rock. a mismatched pair
B/H were overscored for that boring elements

MTM-M have a chance to beat these two by Nationals

I've always believed a truly 100% clean MTM wold beat a clean D/R.

I do think Duhamel is fine to look at though- she has a lot of spirit when she's on the ice, I always feel her heart is out there with her.

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
D/R's program is very good if they skate clean. Lots of complicated transitions. The music is great!

Ilvskating

Final Flight
IMO D/R were overscored. The Chinese and Italian pairs should be ahead of them. D/R's BV is only about 2 points higher than the other two pairs, not enough to over the loss in GOE. D/R should not have higher PCS than the other teams in this competition. I see great improvement in the Chinese and Italian teams, very impressive.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
IMO the scores were fair. D/R did make errors but their level of skating, difficulty, transitions are much higher so it gave them an advantage. Loved the Italians' energy & music but the yellow pants - ugh - hurt my eyes. Their skate had some weak transitions scratchy areas. The Chinese - well, I would've put them 1st if this were an exhibition performance. I see their skating as quite junior and sloppy with acrobatic tricks thrown in here and there. Poor edges & lines and their costumes quite ghastly. Looking forward to the long.

Figuring

Rinkside
The Chinese pair has grown up, both physically and skating wise. OK, maybe he hasn't grown much. But he gets the job done.

Good to see Hongbo is one of their coaches.
Actually Hongbo is their main coach. Bin Yao is too sick to offer any help, and Bin Han works as an assistant coach. Hongbo and Xue Shen have done a really good job in the summer. Now they are responsible for five pairs: Peng&Zhang, Sui&Han, Yu&Jin, Wang&Wang, and a brand-new pair Zhen&Guan. Four of the pairs have completed their debut of this season in a national competiton. All of them have achieve great improvement since the swift of coaches.

cutesonic

Rinkside
Everyone sees the efforts made by SH and Hongbo, including the judges. Of course your prejudice makes you blind to it. So ridiculously blinded for sure.
IMO the scores were fair. D/R did make errors but their level of skating, difficulty, transitions are much higher so it gave them an advantage. Loved the Italians' energy & music but the yellow pants - ugh - hurt my eyes. Their skate had some weak transitions scratchy areas. The Chinese - well, I would've put them 1st if this were an exhibition performance. I see their skating as quite junior and sloppy with acrobatic tricks thrown in here and there. Poor edges & lines and their costumes quite ghastly. Looking forward to the long.