Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Melissa Bulanhagui banned from competing at Philippine Nationals

Hybrid View

skating philosopher

Melissa Bulanhagui banned from competing at Philippine Nationals

http://instagram.com/p/f5iyUVF4g9/

Basically she received an email stating that she will not be allowed to compete due to her "utter disrespect toward the decisions made by the Phillippine Skating Federation"

i.e. basically her tweets ranting about their decision to send a different skater to Nebelhorn Trophy.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Even many, many days after Nebelhorn was over, Bulanhagui continued to tweet additional messages that were indeed disrespectful to the fed, IMHO.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post

Basically she received an email stating that she will not be allowed to compete due to her "utter disrespect toward the decisions made by the Phillippine Skating Federation"

i.e. basically her tweets ranting about their decision to send a different skater to Nebelhorn Trophy.
    Ach, for goodness sake!!!

We knew fine well that the Federation would do something in response to Melissa's comments. But this punishment is WAY too harsh!!!

It's a shame because Melissa is a good skater, and would have done very well in Nationals.

I know people in the public eye should be careful about what they say on social networking, and they should be careful not to bite off the hand that feeds them.

But, to be honest, I agreed with Melissa's comments. Yes, she could have put it a bit more diplomatically, but that's the danger of commenting about things when they are still raw, in any form of media.

Melissa - your mightn't have the support of your Federation, but you still have the support of at least one of your fans... me!

CaroLiza_fan

Stupid federations. Joubert banned from SA, and this..:(

Act as a child, get treated as a child. She's been grounded, so to speak. I'd feel bad for her, but it's not like in this day and age we don't know that social media WILL be followed by "the boss" and WILL have consequences.

Custom Title
    MElissa was a gift to the Philippines! In all seriousness the rabid nationalism of the Philippines caused the absurd and ridiculous decision not to send her! Get over That the us ran philippines! Melissa is not re-colonialism!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    MElissa was a gift to the Philippines! In all seriousness the rabid nationalism of the Philippines caused the absurd and ridiculous decision not to send her! Get over That the us ran philippines! Melissa is not re-colonialism!
    and same thing with Caluza, waste of time they even attempted to skate for their native country
    yet they send Michael Martinez even if he spends has his training in the usa

skating philosopher
    I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I don't think anyone is free of fault in this situation. It sounds like the federation hasn't exactly been upfront with its skaters regarding its decisions, for example choosing Michael Christian Martinez over Chris Caluza for the Olympic team. (For the record, I love MCM, I just got the feeling that decision making process was not an open/transparent one).

On the other hand, Melissa did no favors by ranting on social media about how corrupt the federation was. Yes politics sucks, but you got to learn to deal with them. Life isn't fair.

Custom Title
    I think Twitter was invented because somebody found out a way to monetize the act of people hanging themselves in public. She's 23 years old and should know how the internet works.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post

Did she misread this? It says the President is inclined to not give you clearance... doesn't sound like a surefire banning. Although she certainly took it as that.

She may be a better skater than Perticheto (who probably feels bad as it is for not qualifying a spot), and I agree that she got burned by her fed, but she acted like a self-entitled brat. As if she would have qualified in Nebelhorn anyways. As mentioned, maybe she should re-visit her 4CC FS.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    She may be a better skater than Perticheto (who probably feels bad as it is for not qualifying a spot), and I agree that she got burned by her fed, but she acted like a self-entitled brat. As if she would have qualified in Nebelhorn anyways. As mentioned, maybe she should re-visit her 4CC FS.
    I completely agree. I thought Bulanhagui was disrespectful to both the federation as well as to Perticheto. Scoring slightly better than Perticheto does not entitle her to behave that way and rant about fairness and "respect for the sport" because they chose the younger skater. Maybe they thought the experience would be better invested in someone who has a decade+ years of skating left in her, barring injury.

Ditto to choosing Martinez over Caluza, not to mention that Martinez is also homegrown. Additionally, Caluza was known to be a YouTube troll anonymously but at least under his named Twitter he exerts control over himself...

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Did she ever give an explanation for why she changed countries?

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry66 View Post
    Did she ever give an explanation for why she changed countries?
    http://figureskatersonline.com/news/...t-philippines/

I think she wanted an opportunity to skate at the Olympics and thought she would do better representing the Philppines.

Oh whatever boo hoo for her. She said her career was over on twitter anyway, what on earth does she want to go to Nationals for if that's the case? She's a big whiner, who likes to whine in public. I don't feel bad for her.

mylastduchess
    I actually feel bad for her, for all her hard work to end up in this situation is rough. What irks me is not how she acted against her fed but the smug attitude towards Perticheto like she completely proven herself last year to warrant being sent to Nebelhorn when she hasn't. She performed poorly last year and didn't even go to Worlds. The lesson here is you are not guaranteed the same result from when your backed up by a fed like the US, and when your representing a small fed like the Philippines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast