Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Melissa Bulanhagui banned from competing at Philippine Nationals

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Did she ever give an explanation for why she changed countries?

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry66 View Post
    Did she ever give an explanation for why she changed countries?
    http://figureskatersonline.com/news/...t-philippines/

I think she wanted an opportunity to skate at the Olympics and thought she would do better representing the Philppines.

Oh whatever boo hoo for her. She said her career was over on twitter anyway, what on earth does she want to go to Nationals for if that's the case? She's a big whiner, who likes to whine in public. I don't feel bad for her.

Custom Title
    She is also no longer on the roster for Coupe de Nice. I think she knew that with those tweets, she was irrevocably burning her bridges with the Phils Fed once and for all.

Tripping on the Podium
    For me, she deserved this. What she did was pretty immature and quite bitchy given her age and I can't believe she dared to belittle the other competitor. It's not as if there's a huge difference in their scores in competitions. Sure she may be national champ but her scores aren't enough and in here they most likely give her higher scores anyway due to her past credentials.

Between Caluza and Martinez, I'd still pick Martinez. Yes, Caluza is an artist and when he does well it's great but Martinez is not doing bad either. Score differences are also not high between the two. MCM is young but has proven himself to be able to get to where he is now on his own. Sure he trains during school breaks in the US but he lives and goes to school back in PH. He's home grown and will be much more of an inspiring story to tell.

And I don't think our skaters get a lot of support so she shouldn't be complaining they're paying for their own. Our skaters most likely are doing the same. It's only recently that Martinez got support from the mall he skates at here but even the amount isn't big to cover his expenses considering the cost they have to pay for ice time, training, traveling, costumes and others.

Yes, they changed feds to get a shot at a trip to the Oly but when they do that here they have to expect there's going to be more expected of them. The feds most likely expected them to do way better than what they have shown in competitions esp internationally given the credentials they must have shown the feds before transferring. Personally I expected more from Melissa and was very, very disappointed in her performances esp at 4CC last year. I think that was the first major competition she did representing the country. Sure she won bronze at Asian Trophy but it's not enough.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Who cares if she was banned from competing at Nationals? Philippine Nationals means absolutely nothing. The entire point of her career was to represent the Phillipines at the Olympics. Since that federation was so idiotic as to not send her to Nebelhorn so that she could actually qualify a spot for the country at the Olympics, who cares what else they do? They already ruined their OWN opportunity, not to mention hers as well.

I'm extremely glad she spoke her mind, because she is correct and people should know about it. Anyone saying that she is acting "childish" is placing a ridiculous value on acting demure, as if that equals maturity. It doesn't.

Banned
    You can speak your mind, be correct, and ALSO be childish.

I looked at her twitter so I could be more informed before commenting. I'd say all 3 of the above apply here. She's a loose cannon. That said, the federation is also appearing somewhat childish and putting themselves in a terrible light by banning a skater from competition for twitter comments. IMO this comment was the worst:

26 Aug: "I know how u feel I'm 2 time nat champion & I have 3 more internat medals as the other chick. #skatingblows"

That one was pretty low-class, since she's taking her problems out on "the other chick" (sic) who was chosen. As if it's her fault.

She also went on "ANC Hardball" to speak out against the PhSU. I wonder what all was said on that program.

I absolutely agree that as a rule, free speech (including online) should be protected. I just think in this case, she railed and railed and ran her mouth over and over again on twitter, even disparaging another skater, and at some point you'd have to expect consequences. Maybe she's lacking people in her life who could have given her better advice as to how to approach this situation. Having a prolonged public blowup on Twitter probably wasn't the right move...

Custom Title
    You know, the Finnish girl didn't qualify a spot for the Olympics. And Kiira Korpi was gracious and lovely, thanking the other girl for her efforts.

I think this skater is getting everything she deserves. That tantrum was ridiculous! There is no guarantee that she'd have made it, either; and at least the other girl was actually from the Phillippines, rather than someone who realised she wasn't good enough in her own country, and started looking for other "easier" countries..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I think this skater is getting everything she deserves. That tantrum was ridiculous! There is no guarantee that she'd have made it, either; and at least the other girl was actually from the Phillippines, rather than someone who realised she wasn't good enough in her own country, and started looking for other "easier" countries..
    Alisson Perticheto is not from the Philippines. She's from Switzerland.

But I agree with your general statement. Melissa knew she wasn't good enough to make it in the USA, so she switched federations, thinking she would have an easy ride to the Olympics representing the Philippines. When it didn't work out, she threw a temper tantrum on Twitter.

Given her horrible comments about the Philippines federation, she will be lucky if they ever allow her to compete for them internationally again.

Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    We knew fine well that the Federation would do something in response to Melissa's comments. But this punishment is WAY too harsh!!!

It's a shame because Melissa is a good skater, and would have done very well in Nationals.

I know people in the public eye should be careful about what they say on social networking, and they should be careful not to bite off the hand that feeds them.

But, to be honest, I agreed with Melissa's comments. Yes, she could have put it a bit more diplomatically, but that's the danger of commenting about things when they are still raw, in any form of media.
    I thought Bulanhagui was completely out of line, especially after Nebelhorn. She made a strategic decision to represent a country where she could get more international assignments (as many skaters do - no harm in that), and when things didn't work out to her liking, she threw a Twitter tantrum which was also very disrespectful of Perticheto. Yes, it was eventually deleted, but her federation is justified in believing that a skater who publicly stated that she hates them, that they blow, and who belittled a fellow competitor in a public forum is not someone they want skating for them any time soon.

It's not often that you see a skater react in such a classless manner to not getting an assignment, including skaters who have had worse disappointments than she did; as others have noted, it's not as though Bulanhagui was a sure shot to qualify that Olympic spot herself.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    and same thing with Caluza, waste of time they even attempted to skate for their native country
    yet they send Michael Martinez even if he spends has his training in the usa
    Actually, they send the younger skater who has more long term potential, a perfectly reasonable decision. Martinez, who was born and raised in the Philippines and only trains in the US part time, was 5th at Junior Worlds and 7th at Nebelhorn (third qualifier), already has a higher PB than Caluza and should continue to improve. Who knows, maybe some day he can qualify two spots for the Philippines at the World level.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    ^ Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    So much for freedom of speech. Absolutely disgusting.
    Also, I think some people are confused as to what freedom of speech entails. Bulanhagui has not lost her rights to free speech; she isn't being censored or prohibited from continuing to make an azz of herself. There are simply consequences to exercising free speech in foul ways. Welcome to the real world.

#TeamAUS
    There is a lesson to be learned- This skater needs a lesson in Public Relations.

Rule number one: DO NOT tick off your skating federation!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    I think some people are confused as to what freedom of speech entails. Bulanhagui has not lost her rights to free speech; she isn't being censored or prohibited from continuing to make an azz of herself. There are simply consequences to exercising free speech in foul ways. Welcome to the real world.
    Exactly.
    We have the right to speak badly about our boss or about our company, it's not illegal so we won't be prosecuted/send to prison for that. However, we can't be so naive to expect that there wouldn't be consequences, e.g. we may get sacked. Freedom of speech does not guarantee you that you can say anywhere whatever you want to and there won't be any consequences at all.

Aw ... I like Melissa a lot, and am sorry that this has happened. I do think she should have been more careful with her comments in the social media, though.

It's worth pointing out that the federation's decision to send Perticheto to the Olympic qualifying was by no means unreasonable. While Bulanhagui had some decent results while representing the US, Perticheto had actually been doing better more recently: I checked, and last season each had one fall event (a JGP for Perticheto, the US Classic for Bulanhagui) and one ISU Championship (Junior Worlds for Perticheto, 4CC for Bulanhagui). Perticheto got better scores. They've each skated in one other event following that: Perticheto was 5th at the Gardena Spring Trophy with a score of 137.05, while Bulanhagui was third at the Asian Trophy with a score of 140.05 - both scores would have been good enough to qualify for the Olympics at the Nebelhorn Trophy. So basically, it's not as though we have one skater who was inferior getting the nod over a vastly superior one; at the time the decision was made, their level appeared to have been pretty similar.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast