Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Melissa Bulanhagui banned from competing at Philippine Nationals

mylastduchess
    I actually feel bad for her, for all her hard work to end up in this situation is rough. What irks me is not how she acted against her fed but the smug attitude towards Perticheto like she completely proven herself last year to warrant being sent to Nebelhorn when she hasn't. She performed poorly last year and didn't even go to Worlds. The lesson here is you are not guaranteed the same result from when your backed up by a fed like the US, and when your representing a small fed like the Philippines.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    Also, I think some people are confused as to what freedom of speech entails. Bulanhagui has not lost her rights to free speech; she isn't being censored or prohibited from continuing to make an azz of herself. There are simply consequences to exercising free speech in foul ways. Welcome to the real world.
    Yeah I get that point. I remember Bulanghui being unhappy about not getting Nebelhorn but I didn't realise the extent of her Twitter rants. 'The other chick' was particularly classy...

Custom Title
    I wasn't following her on SNS, so I'll take it as a fact from the accounts of many here that she was disrespectful in her tweets. I also agree to what Prettykeys said about freedom of speech. Still, I won't make a judgment on who had made the initial fault or whether she deserved the penalty.

First, it's unclear to me whether her fed had made its selection guideline/criteria clear and reliable enough for her to form her personal decisions on her career and nationality choice. From what I read in this thread, she seemed to be upset to find her fed unfair with its selection process. I believe it's better for the sport and the athletes to have their fed set its selection standards and precedures in a clear cut and predictable enough way. I mean, it's unfair for the athletes to be exposed to the arbitrary and unpredictable decisions, which can make or break their years of commitment to training time and financial outlay. The more discretion the fed has and the more ambiguous the selection rules are, the more vulnerable the athletes would be.

I neither buy that the feds justifiably has discretion/control over whom to send in consideration of their "investment" for the future. For investment for the future and showcasing their prospects, they have international circuit for the juniors. I want to watch in international events the skaters selected on the merits of their skating under the clear and fair selection procedures, not some prospects whom their feds arbitrarily choose as good for future development. Many skaters at senior level extend their competitive careers with the goal to skate at their last (or, for many of them, only) major or Olympic event. And those decisions are made well before their destination events, when they are younger. If a federation give priority to the ones only on that they have more mileage left, it would be a de facto and de jure case of discrimination committed by a public institution on a private individual, unless they have reasonalbe ground to believe that the senior athlete in question will go through material deterioration in skills between the selection date and the actual event. I remember a poster in this forum saying repeatedly that in the upcoming selection procedure for the Japanese ladies delegation to Sochi, the Japanese fed would favor Miyahara over Suzuki since the former is the future. If that become the decisive factor in their case of choosing Miyahara over an otherwise superior Suzuki, I would be upset.

On whether she deserves the penalty, it's unclear whether the ban is temporary or permanent. In either case, I have doubt whether the ban is equitable or proper in balance in relation to the nature of verbal offence she committed, even when the fed's rules or bylaws provide for such disciplinary action.

I'm not necessarily defending Bulanhagui, but just my two cents.

On the Ice
    On one hand, I hope the Philippine federation laid out its selection criteria *clearly*. If they haven't, I hope they take measures to do so, so that there are no misunderstandings in the future.

On the other hand, while I am sorry for Bulanhagui's disappointment, the way she made digs at Perticheto was not good. I wish she could have expressed her disappointment/protest against the fed in a more mature way.

Banned
    change my mind, if she said to #theotherchick that is hugely disrespectful not only to the skater but the federation as well
    her comments seemed nasty so she deserve what she gets

mylastduchess
    So anybody actually know whats happening now? Is she banned from competing internationally too? I don't even think that the Philippine National that relevant when the only people who can go to worlds and 4CC are those who actually have scores to qualify. So if she doesn't go to Nationals but has the scores to go to 4CC at least will the fed stop her?

Rinkside

Attack the issue, not the person

She should have focused on the issue, not attacked the other skater. Basic rule of good communication.

Custom Title
    Lesson to be learned. You open your mouth and trash someone or something like Melissa did expect their to be repercussions. She acted like s spoiled child. Sadly in our technological world today we can't keep anything quiet. Instead people need to let the world know how they feel.

i'm a filipino and this is sad.. there were some speculations/rumors why the phil fed choose Perticheto, that she was rich and somewhat her family was involved and that there was some politics going on.. obviously it's baseless..

how i wish melissa did not rant on twitter..

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Bulanghui didn't compete in the SP at Coupe de Nice where she was entered so she either withdrew or has been pulled by the federation.

The worst thing is, if you read the comments under her Instagram post, it doesn't seem like she and her husband learned anything from this.

Yes lets recap the messages below, my personal favorites:
    "They deserved to be disrepected."
    "(To fans/friends) If you want to give the president a piece of your mind email him all you want." From her husband of all people. #Nobodyf*ckswithmywife
    "What disrepect? You should report them to the ISU."

Geez with friends like that how can you go wrong in life?

Banned
    her husband is even more shameful
    isn't he like an army stationed in South Korea ?

he's giving out the email address of the PSU vice president so they can bombard him with emails
    so these two , their ages are still in their mid 20's right ? typical self indulgent I guess

Medalist
    BTW, there are guidelines for athletes behavior on social media sites for Sochi, and any violation may result in sanctions by the IOC...

Custom Title
    Some little birdies shouldn't tweet, tweet. lol

Quote Originally Posted by momrk View Post
    She should have focused on the issue, not attacked the other skater. Basic rule of good communication.
    I agree with this. She was throwing major shade around without coherently forming an argument first. I would have agreed with her more had she not acted so ... entitled.

And last I checked, "inclined" =/= "banned."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast