Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Melissa Bulanhagui banned from competing at Philippine Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Get over That the us ran philippines!
    I don't see why any previously colonized nation or territory should ever simply "get over" something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mylastduchess View Post
    What native country? Bulanhagui and Caluza are both US born and can't speak a word of Filipino.
    I don't think "Filipino" is a language.

Custom Title
    According to Wikipedia, the main language is called Filipino now, but there's an interesting history of how it has been renamed and developed through recent years. I gather that present-day "Filipino" is mostly Tagalog, a predominant language of the islands, but with vocabulary added from other languages. In other words, there is such a language as Filipino, apparently.

I was interested to read that there are over a hundred regional languages spoken in the country, which should probably not be surprising in a nation of so many islands spread across a large area. The oriiginal non-Asian colonizer was Spain, and Spanish has been a lingua franca of the country through the years.

English is also listed as an official language, so it might not matter for day-to-day life if Melissa speaks only English. It's been my experience that people from the Philippines who come here speak English fluently on arrival.

I have no idea how Melissa behaved when she went over there, but if she'd been able to act tactfully, she could have positioned herself as tremendously useful to the Filipino skating movement, helping them to gain more spots for international competition. There must be such frustration on both sides. After all, Melissa gave up her American eligibility in hopes to get to more international competitions, and the skating federation of the Philippines must have seen their future walking through the door when she arrived--but neither outcome has come to pass yet.

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post

And last I checked, "inclined" =/= "banned."
    This is something that occurred to me too. I wonder what result she may have had if instead of posting the message, she'd written back something like:

"I understand the president's position and hope he will reconsider. I deeply regret my tweets, which, while it is no excuse, were the result of extreme heartache and disappointment, and have taken them down. It was hard for me to keep perspective at that time, but I do respect the federation. I hope the president will allow me to skate at Nationals and trust that I will comport myself differently in the future."

In my opinion, Melissa had every right to speak up if she felt the federation wronged her. My only issue with her is throwing shade at the other competitor (not cool). She could have said she disagrees with her federation sending some else, but she went off on the other girl and was even happy when she failed to qualify for a spot (bad sportsmanship).
    However, people are not putting enough blame of the Federation, I am sorry if Melissa is your national champion, how do justify sending someone else to qualify for the Olympics.
    In this situation, both sides are showing lack of professionalism!!

By the way, she is human and she gave a human reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    In my opinion, Melissa had every right to speak up if she felt the federation wronged her. My only issue with her is throwing shade at the other competitor (not cool). She could have said she disagrees with her federation sending some else, but she went off on the other girl and was even happy when she failed to qualify for a spot (bad sportsmanship).
    However, people are not putting enough blame of the Federation, I am sorry if Melissa is your national champion, how do justify sending someone else to qualify for the Olympics.
    In this situation, both sides are showing lack of professionalism!!

Her reaction was extreme. It's not the sentiment it is how she said it all. "My federation blows". Why not say instead "So disappointed in my federation" or "Extremely upset bu my federations's decision"

This happened to Victoria Muniz too. She represented Puerto Rico and the federation did not invest or push her career like she wanted and she left and was very upset at the federation. I think two things can happen: this girls make the decision of representing a small federation in the hopes of attending more international competitions, however, in the case of Victoria Muniz, she had to deal with the fact that Puerto Rico does not have interest in the sport and wont spend a lot of money promoting it.

In the case of Melissa, the federation decided to give the opportunity to another competitor, I guess life is not fair

Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    This is something that occurred to me too. I wonder what result she may have had if instead of posting the message, she'd written back something like:

"I understand the president's position and hope he will reconsider. I deeply regret my tweets, which, while it is no excuse, were the result of extreme heartache and disappointment, and have taken them down. It was hard for me to keep perspective at that time, but I do respect the federation. I hope the president will allow me to skate at Nationals and trust that I will comport myself differently in the future."
    That would have been smart and classy, and might have done the trick. But I think at this point, she's willingly burned her bridges with them.

See my post here. The short version: Bulanhagui was the senior national champion, Perticheto the junior national champion, and Perticheto skated better last season than Bulanhagui (who was dreadful at 4CC). Bulanhagui did do well at the Asian Trophy, but Perticheto's best score would also have been enough to qualify for Sochi. Unfortunately for her, she was not at her best in Nebelhorn. I agree with those who said that there should have been transparent criteria for the assignments, but the decision to send Perticheto and not Bulanhagui is by no means unjustifiable. Most federations do not follow the American approach of basing assignments almost exclusively on Nationals. It's not that life was unfair, it's that life doesn't always work out as you think you deserve. She probably thought that she would be treated as a VIP and discovered that her federation had other ideas.

It's one thing to speak out, and quite another to trash another skater and say that you hate your federation and that it blows (the latter tweets she eventually deleted). Why would a federation want a skater who feels that way? Better skaters than Bulanhagui have missed out on major assignments, yet they managed to convey their disappointment without resorting to that sort of behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    That would have been smart and classy, and might have done the trick. But I think at this point, she's willingly burned her bridges with them.

See my post here. The short version: Bulanhagui was the senior national champion, Perticheto the junior national champion, and Perticheto skated better last season than Bulanhagui (who was dreadful at 4CC). Bulanhagui did do well at the Asian Trophy, but Perticheto's best score would also have been enough to qualify for Sochi. Unfortunately for her, she was not at her best in Nebelhorn. I agree with those who said that there should have been transparent criteria for the assignments, but the decision to send Perticheto and not Bulanhagui is by no means unjustifiable. Most federations do not follow the American approach of basing assignments almost exclusively on Nationals. It's not that life was unfair, it's that life doesn't always work out as you think you deserve. She probably thought that she would be treated as a VIP and discovered that her federation had other ideas.

It's one thing to speak out, and quite another to trash another skater and say that you hate your federation and that it blows (the latter tweets she eventually deleted). Why would a federation want a skater who feels that way? Better skaters than Bulanhagui have missed out on major assignments, yet they managed to convey their disappointment without resorting to that sort of behavior.
    I agree with you there. I think she had the right to speak up but she did go overboard.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    I agree with you there. I think she had the right to speak up but she did go overboard.
    Yes, I think that is the gist of it. She could have expressed her disappointment in a more careful and respectful way.

A big PR lesson for all skaters right here.

Custom Title
    To be the main chick, act like the main chick. Attacking the other chick and the coop owner is not fitting.

She also needs to show that she is fit to represent her federation and her country.

Banned
    Such a mess. Shame.

Rinkside
    I usually lurk on GS, but this story was very interesting to me. This blog post said she might try skating pairs with Taylor Toth?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    To be the main chick, act like the main chick. Attacking the other chick and the coop owner is not fitting.

She also needs to show that she is fit to represent her federation and her country.
    Yes, she lost me with the very word "chick." I hope she can salvage something from this.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mylastduchess View Post
    So anybody actually know whats happening now? Is she banned from competing internationally too? I don't even think that the Philippine National that relevant when the only people who can go to worlds and 4CC are those who actually have scores to qualify. So if she doesn't go to Nationals but has the scores to go to 4CC at least will the fed stop her?
    What do you mean whether they will stop her? It is not ISU who invites particular skaters. It is the Federation of each country who decides which skater will represent that country at 4CC and worlds. Do you think her Federation will even think about sending her represent their country after she behaved in such disgraceful manner?

Custom Title
    She acted like a spoiled child throwing a fit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast