Skate Canada 2013-2014 Ladies Short Program | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2013-2014 Ladies Short Program

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The real question is if Gracie can keep it together in the long. She tends to do fine when there's not so much pressure. Here almost everyone expected Julia and Akiko to beat her and she's been under the radar for a few weeks. Let's see how she does in the lead.

That will be key, I agree. I can't wait!

That said, Frank seems to be doing some good things with her. As I said, she's the calmest I've seen her since she entered the senior ranks.

(But form a predictions standpoint, I have Gracie in third, so my mind hopes the other two will beat her in the FS. :biggrin:)

Actually...did anyone have Gracie winning?!

Mao88

Record Breaker

tulosai

Record Breaker
Ugh, so I guess they recognize windmill arms as transitions then. :disapp:

:laugh: IMO Gracie and Julia's PCS were wrong. Gracie should beat Julia by a comfortable margin in SS, and she did. Their IN and PE should be way closer than they are. IMO Julia's should be slightly higher but personal preference yada yada yada, let's call it a tie. Gracie's TR score should be higher than Julia's but not by as much as it is. And Julia's CH score should be higher than Gracie's, just slightly.

Robeye

Final Flight
Yuna Kim 2013 Worlds SP score - 69.97

Interesting
Nah, IMO, Yuna's SP from last season would score something like 75+ if skated at this Skate Canada under the circumstances Yuna is in today (that is, as the reigning World and Olympic gold medalist who crushed all before her in the most recent championships). And that's not even assuming she made any attempt to up her spin levels. Not only would she get back the GOE points lost on the 3F (it's highly unlikely, in my view, that she would be hit with that phantom edge call as the dominant current champ), but her PCS numbers would certainly not be hovering at or slightly above 8.

There is some drift in scoring standards from event to event, and season to season, and clearly the standards are on the generous side this GP season, at least, thus far.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I was surprised by Julia's scores regarding her spins. They were not well-centered. Otherwise I think the judging was pretty accurate, although I would lower Gracie's scores for choreo and interpretation. She was very good today and Julia skated worse than I expected. Akiko was lovely :love:

I think both Rafael and Frank have done a great job with their students in a short amount of time. Raf with Ashley's technique and Frank with many little details in Gracie's skating.

Julia IMO would have gotten even better scores on the spins if they were well centered. Part of her positive GOE on them comes flat out from the positions, which are stunning, and I think that is appropriate. I think at worst they should get 0 GOE.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia

That said, Frank seems to be doing some good things with her. As I said, she's the calmest I've seen her since she entered the senior ranks.

(But form a predictions standpoint, I have Gracie in third, so my mind hopes the other two will beat her in the FS. :biggrin:)

There was one lucky person at least! :)

I just wanted to point out some confusions among judges. Judges gave her +1, 0, 0, 0, 0, -1, -2, -2, -3.
I agree with you that ISU should clarify how long a jump landing should be held for.

Yeah that's probably because of the lack of clear guidance on when a landing starts and finishes. I was expecting the judges to just go with -3s since the fall happened very shortly after the landing and was really surprised to see GOE being so high.

This reminded me of Shen/Zhao landing throw 4s at 2002 Olympics and falling shortly after.

Julia's marks on her spins were not high..

Layback: 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3

Combination spin: 0 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 3

Combination spin in particular was off-centred from start to finish and I don't remember seeing any skater travelling as much as she did in her last position.

tulosai

Record Breaker

Oh, agreed. This was a very encouraging program from her, don't get me wrong!

And surely someone picked Gracie for the win... but unfortunately if she keeps this up, it wasn't me.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
she'll get there its almost 29 now this season
if Julia keeps her momentum she can get a 30+ PCS by the end of the season

Hope so..I know she is just 15, but she showed such a progress this year! I think she has the biggest potential among the Russians

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Yeah that's probably because of the lack of clear guidance on when a landing starts and finishes. I was expecting the judges to just go with -3s since the fall happened very shortly after the landing and was really surprised to see GOE being so high.

This reminded me of Shen/Zhao landing throw 4s at 2002 Olympics and falling shortly after.

Combination spin in particular was off-centred from start to finish and I don't remember seeing any skater travelling as much as she did in her last position.

The thing is that her spins are stunning, exceptional even. So her usual marks for them 3333333...You get my point. Not this time because they were offcentered

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

Gracie needs to bomb the LP and come 4th (and Osmond come 3rd) for my predictions to be happy. :slink:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Hope so..I know she is just 15, but she showed such a progress this year! I think she has the biggest potential among the Russians

Adelina can score a 30+ if clean but if Julia stays consistent throughout the season
you'll be seeing Julia's PCS in 30+ too

Tuk has flat the same PCS this season in 27+
poor spins and small ice coverage

elif

Medalist
Julia didn't get a edge deduction.
The real question is if Gracie can keep it together in the long. She tends to do fine when there's not so much pressure. Here almost everyone expected Julia and Akiko to beat her and she's been under the radar for a few weeks. Let's see how she does in the lead.

I agree.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh, agreed. This was a very encouraging program from her, don't get me wrong!

And surely someone picked Gracie for the win... but unfortunately if she keeps this up, it wasn't me.

I didn't. :)

Actually I was curious so I went back and looked. TWO PEOPLE have Gracie winning. If this trend continues, Sackie and Bruin714...you will be CASHING IN!!

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Adelina can score a 30+ if clean but if Julia stays consistent throughout the season
you'll be seeing Julia's PCS in 30+ too

Tuk has flat the same PCS this season in 27+
poor spins and small ice coverage

I don't like Adelina's programs this year. And her jumps are awful, I hope Tuk will go to the Olympics, or even Leonova - she deserved it.

The thing is that her spins are stunning, exceptional even. So her usual marks for them 3333333...You get my point. Not this time because they were offcentered

And my point is that you shouldn't be getting 2s and 3s if your spins are off-centred considerably, even if they are stunning otherwise.

Sara

On the Ice
There were two judges who gave Gracie much higher PCS than to Akiko. One of them gave 6.75 to Akiko and 8.50 to Gracie for interpretation. :mad:

wjww

Rinkside

Her combination spin definitely worth 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 if it was well-centered. Those judges who gave +2,+1,0 already took off points because of her traveling during the spin.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I don't like Adelina's programs this year. And her jumps are awful, I hope Tuk will go to the Olympics, or even Leonova - she deserved it.

Adelina is of course a hit or miss because of her awful jump technique
but she scores the best PCS if she can skate clean amongst the three I think