Skate Canada 2013-2014 Ladies Short Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2013-2014 Ladies Short Program

TheCzar

On the Ice
Great start for Gracie! Seems like Frank has calmed her down a bit, but her arms are still too busy. Not surprised at TES but her PCS is maybe a point or two over (Olympic season generosity). TBH that mid-section just reminded me of her Hernando's Hideaway SP. Also, the music is GRATING. I love the violin, but this arrangement....was she deaf by the time she heard it? Definitely promising though, however we shall see how the judges will look at her FS. If she hasn't changed the music/choreography/everything for Sleeping Beauty, then there is no way her PCS should sustain.

lavender

Record Breaker
That would be too bad for Ash if Gold beats her in the short. Now I'm no where near close to being a fan of these ladies but Ashley does have a better short than Gold. Minus maybe the SS skills Ash should come out ahead of Gold on the pcs. JMO

Robeye

Final Flight
Congrats Robeye. I can't give you any money but I will give you a :clap:
Yeah, awright, I guess that'll have to do. :)

Also a :clap: for Mathman.

Both of you get a car!!! Okay, not really.
Unless you're a pizza delivery guy, cars don't generate a return on investment. How about bitcoins?

(Full confession: I still don't quite understand how/why bitcoins work :frown:)

On Gracie: she's skating much closer to her abilities. And while I think her music would be much better as a piano version rather than violin, it's beginning to sound less and less like a Rihanna-Chris Brown dinner conversation with every jump Gracie successfully lands. :laugh:

Dots

Final Flight
WOW

:eek:

Gracie was the class of the field. I don't think I have ever seen her skate with so much command and presence.

If she keeps improving from this outing, she'll be my dark horse for a medal.

lavender

Record Breaker
First and probably the last time I will watch Gold's short. I guess the judges like that music and all those arms.

Mao88

Record Breaker
Her combination spin definitely worth 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 if it was well-centered. Those judges who gave +2,+1,0 already took off points because of her traveling during the spin.

If you consider the base value before any deductions to be +3, 6 judges deducted only -1 (and one didn't deduct at all) and they should have deducted more than that given how much she travelled.

I don't think it's worth +3, though. The final position is extremely fast but the previous positions are slower and the flow changing from one position to the next isn't perfect. The entry wasn't difficult either. So I'd set the GOE value before any deductions at +2 and then deduct -3 for travelling being as bad as it gets (travelling = -1 to -3 in the deductions sheet). That's splitting hairs of course but then picking protocols apart = my favourite hobby. :biggrin:

As for Osmond, she got 3 +2s and 6 +1s and whilst her combination spin was good, it wasn't outstanding so my guess is the judges just didn't notice the travelling there.

First and probably the last time I will watch Gold's short. I guess the judges like that music and all those arms.

You don't judge the music. You judge how well skater moves to the music they have chosen.

Mao88

Record Breaker

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
You don't judge the music. You judge how well skater moves to the music they have chosen.

That's exactly what I have trouble with. It's not so much whether I like the music but rather it is a distraction to watching the skating, as are the frantic arms, even as I see that she is doing her elements very well, ticking them off one by one.

katymay

Medalist
I am liking Gracie's music more each time I gear it. As to matching the choreography with the music, all she has to do is a bunch of frantic disjointed runs and turns and it will fit perfectly. :)

I'm still thinking her music sounds like cats being strangled.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
And my point is that you shouldn't be getting 2s and 3s if your spins are off-centred considerably, even if they are stunning otherwise.

Exactly. I feel she is loosing her spin quality not just the centerness, but also speed-wise.
Besides flexibility, one needs strength to hold those spins, which Adelina does much much better. For me, a travelled spin should not receive + at all, and in some case, even a deduction for some skaters?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Exactly. I feel she is loosing her spin quality not just the centerness, but also speed-wise.
Besides flexibility, one needs strength to hold those spins, which Adelina does much much better. For me, a travelled spin should not receive + at all, and in some case, even a deduction for some skaters?

Sotnikova's Spin is centered because it doesn't rotate that fast
give her time, Julia will be able to control them more consistently
last week she did her SP run through in Mocow Open Championship with centered spin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1052CQRfdw

and no she isn't slowing down speed wise on her spins

mskater93

Record Breaker
That would be too bad for Ash if Gold beats her in the short. Now I'm no where near close to being a fan of these ladies but Ashley does have a better short than Gold. Minus maybe the SS skills Ash should come out ahead of Gold on the pcs. JMO

Comparing: Ashley had a couple more points in PCS. Gracie got her on TES. Wagner needs to get the levels on her spins

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
Suzuki was so wonderful, what beautiful joyfull skating to watch, hope she wins it would be a travesty if gold beat her...