Skate Canada 2013-2014 Ladies Short Program | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2013-2014 Ladies Short Program

Moment

Final Flight
I still don't get what is so bad about Gracie's SP music. For me what is really awful is her interpretation of it.

This again confirms she is not as a great jumper as some hyped her to be.

Selene

On the Ice
I still don't get what is so bad about Gracie's SP music. For me what is really awful is her interpretation of it.

This again confirms she is not as a great jumper as some hyped her to be.

Both are bad. The Three Preludes isn't a bad piece of music, but the screaching violin performance of it and repetitive music cut make her SP unbearable.

Gracie used to have excellent quality jumps. But she seems to have lost so much weight that she no longer has the power necessary to get any height on her jumps.

hurrah

Medalist
Could it be that Gracie has grown taller? She seemed longer on the screen, if that makes any sense.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Gracie Gold really rocked it! Wow. I agree with many about the music tho - awful - and very unforgiving if she has an off performance.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I was very impressed with Gracie's ease and confidence today, but I agree with the poster who commented on her weight loss. She looks borderline anorexic to me. and I'm a former dancer who's 5' 6" and 115 lbs.

anorexic ? are you sure your talking about Gracie she lost mostly just in her legs and chest area

pitterpatter

On the Ice
ladies event was totally awesome. was shocked to see amelie skating a clean short, and then it just kept getting better and better! hopefully they bring it in the long as well :yay: really rooting for akiko! she's the class of the field.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
By the way, Julia said that she is happy with her score because it wasn't her best skate. She said her spins were off that day, usually she makes them faster and more centered.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
My favourite was Akiko. She is always such a joy to watch. I also liked Julias short, it was really nicely done with the drawing on the ice at the start & at the end. When Gracie was skating I really was thinking, wow this is different to the usual stuff. It might not be pleasing to the ear and in some places skating and music were disjointed, but it felt very much like art. In Germany Figure Skating is called Eiskunstlaufen, while Kunst is the word for Art. And Gracies program felt like that to me.

noidont

Final Flight
Maybe it was the feed but Gracie looked a lot slower than before. There was a part in the SP that she was basically walking. I don't mind the music, but her costume does not match it.

Gracie Gold really rocked it! Wow. I agree with many about the music tho - awful - and very unforgiving if she has an off performance.

Years ago, Katia Gordeyeva did a very cute exhibition piece to a slightly different arrangement of this Gershwin work. I've hunted but can't find it on YT. I agree that this arrangement is a bit screechy, but I think that it's more because the dominant melodic lines of the second and third pieces have been cut out of the choreographer's edit.

I thought Gracie did a very stylish job of it. Gershwin is demanding at the best of times, and this has some very tricky rhythms, which she handled well.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 69.45 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS) - 66.89 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 65.76 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Christina GAO (USA) - 62.82 Short Program, 2nd Copy
5. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 60.32 Short Program, 2nd Copy
6. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) - 59.13 Short Program
7. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) - 52.36 Short Program
8. Veronik MALLET (CAN) - 50.71 Short Program
9. Courtney HICKS (USA) - 50.70 Short Program

szidon

On the Ice
Speaking of Gracie being thinner with smaller jumps, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Since smaller body weight is less prone to big mistakes in jumps, and easier to adjust. By looking at how Julia and other junior ladies get more consistent jumps, there is a message. And Gracie did score better than even with her jumps today.
Between making small jumps more consistent & bigger jumps prone to a fall or pop up, the former is definitely better regarding accumulating points, though not necessarily good for the audience.

ITA. Gracie's jumps looked less speedy and powerful than before, but overall she was poised and confident. It's a good strategy, IMO.

Problem was the music and choreography of her SP which didn't seem to accentuate her character and charm. I don't think it would look better later in the season.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Akiko's skating makes me happy and for me her performance was outstanding. I really hope she wins, even though it's not my prediction.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Frank has told Gracie to slow down a bit and her jumps don't need to be so high so i'm hoping she's deliberately holding back a bit on speed and so it's making her jumps a bit smaller. Frank's biggest job is making Gracie not be so frenetic and to skate calmly. I have a feeling Gracie has plenty of speed and power in reserve.

tulosai

Record Breaker
By the way, Julia said that she is happy with her score because it wasn't her best skate. She said her spins were off that day, usually she makes them faster and more centered.

Julia seems to have very good self awareness to me, especially for someone her age but also for a skater in general.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I was expecting awful music for Gracie, but I don't see/hear the problem with the music... the program itself is feels very rough around the edges. Hopefully in the weeks to come it gets refined.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I liked Osmond´s programme and personality on ice very much, but I hope that she will do something about that thin ponytail (at least curl it a little bit to make it look fuller).

Gold was very good and I really like her interpretation.