Skate Canada 2013-2014 Ladies Short Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2013-2014 Ladies Short Program

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Yay Akiko! Maybe the 3-3 was UR though?

I just have to say, this final flight was probably the best flight I've seen since the 2010 Olympics. Great job ladies! :clap: Including Popova, I can't

I agree, it was one of the best competition to watch so far!!
So great to see thoses ladies putting all her potential and big trick :clap:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
For the record I LOVE Gracie's music. I also like the choreo but she just has to grow into it more. The judges liked it too : )

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For the record I LOVE Gracie's music. I also like the choreo but she just has to grow into it more. The judges liked it too : )

Yeah, you're right. If the judges don't hate it....well I guess bad news for those who do....

jan

On the Ice
Lipnitskaja has much weaker basic skating then anyone in the competition. I feel she was over scored. She is much weaker in PCS then Osmond.

Would've loved to see Lipnitskaja on the first place, but yeah... Though I don't think that the gap between Gracie and Julia should be around 3 points...

Trewyn

Medalist
Akiko's PCS should have been much higher than everyone else's (difference with Gracie's is too small I think)
Huuuge score for Gracie, I think overscored, but then, I'm not a fan and biased.
But pretty exciting Ladies competition this is shaping up to be! Lots of happy faces in the K&C (never would have expected Amelie to skate clean like that!)

aniela

On the Ice
I actually don't mind Gracie's screeching violin music. It's interesting, and I think there's something there in the choreography, it's just not quite in sync yet.
me too. I actually prefer her skating to this music than to another bland romantic ballad.

ranjake

Final Flight
Thanks for the great recaps, all. ( I wasn't able to get any of the feeds to work :( Sounds like a great SP!

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Lipnitskaja has much weaker basic skating then anyone in the competition. I feel she was over scored. She is much weaker in PCS then Osmond.

How come she was overscored? Are u kidding me? On Finlandia Trophy she got 29 for her components, here even some of Gao's components were higher =/ Her spin wasn't great today, but still the gap between her and Gold shouldn't be like that!

Kuan

Final Flight
The second group was awesome! :yay: The only one missing was Yuna. I was so anxious to see her send in the clowns SP at Skate Canada! She would have ruled the short programm. Yuna, please take care of your feet!

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Anyway. That is just my opinition. I personally enjoy watching her programms a lot more than Gracie's.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
It was a real joy to watch Amelie skating to her potential and also, her choreography has improve a lot.

I find that she was way underscored in the PCS, she deserve at least 28,5 and more for this performance :)

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
This last group really was amazing :clap:

And I'm sorry to say, but while Gracie may have really good basic skating skills, her PCS are way too high. Being 1st due to the highest TES is fine, but those PCS...meh.

I am liking Gracie's music more each time I gear it. As to matching the choreography with the music, all she has to do is a bunch of frantic disjointed runs and turns and it will fit perfectly. :)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Frank Carroll PCS bonus. :mad:

I'm surprised Gracie did all the jumps. Thought she would be too out of sorts and miss something because of everything that has been going on lately. Good for her.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Loved this second group! So happy for Christina Gao, she should feel great about going clean after her rough summer. The 3T-3T was so solid and her spins have definitely improved as well. Julia was gorgeous too - doesn't have the biggest jumps, but she's just so lovely to watch. I love her Schindler's List long.

Gracie Gold was phenomenal! She looks so much more calm and relaxed out there and really took her time going into all her elements. The British Eurosport guys said that they talked to her mom, who said that Frank Carroll's biggest advice so far was that she doesn't have to skate as fast or jump as high. You could really see that today - she backed off on the speed and her jumps weren't as montrous as they sometimes are, but it totally worked in her favor. She didn't look rushed, and her jumps are solid/big enough that she can make the rotations either way. I really hope all of this carries over into her long tomorrow and that she doesn't crack under the pressure of being first (Lord knows Frank has some experience dealing with that).

amc987

On the Ice
Okay, on the positive side, the last group more or less skated cleanly (minus the UR on Akiko's 2nd 3T and some traveling spins). Love Akiko's program. Loved Christina Gao's skate. I liked Lipnitskaia's program and thought the flexibility on her last spin was amazing. I didn't even mind that Lacoste skated to The Feeling Begins. Gracie's jumps were good as ever and her spins were on point today.

On the negative side, that SP music has got to go. Whoever invented the violin would probably be rolling over in his/her grave if they heard that noise. I think fingernails on a chalkboard would create less aural dissonance. She really should just skate to the piano version that Gershwin originally composed- the music is far more bearable when there is more piano at the beginning and towards the end. Also, can someone explain the marks for choreography and interpretation to me? How Gracie managed to get in the high 7s for a bunch of random arm flailing is beyond me.

Another negative: Kaetlyn Osmond's music cuts are weird and the gloves weren't the best choice.