Skate Canada 2013-2014 Ladies Short Program | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2013-2014 Ladies Short Program

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Gracie's PCS we too high. But I guess they could be smaller if she skated in Europe. We will see in later GP. Still hope Lip beats her in FS

bramweld

Record Breaker
I have never been a fan of Gracie because I didn't think she had gelled yet. But today she was awesome!! She earned every mark. Frank may not work for all but when he clicks with he student the results are amazing. Didn't he do the same for Ten? Why not for Gracie! That was better than anything Wagner did this year.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I don't find it interesting taking into account that Yuna's SP PCS score in Worlds was way lower what she deserved. The only reason she got such a low score was that she was skating in the second/third group of the competition. You can see that also when comparing Yuna's SP and FS PCS scores (e.g. her SS score being a lot higher in FS). I don't even remember the last time she had such a low PCS in SP. Maybe when she was skating as junior long time ago...

not comparable at all Yuna had a Lip and skated in the third group in the SP

Robeye

Final Flight
Gracie Gold was phenomenal! She looks so much more calm and relaxed out there and really took her time going into all her elements. The British Eurosport guys said that they talked to her mom, who said that Frank Carroll's biggest advice so far was that she doesn't have to skate as fast or jump as high. You could really see that today - she backed off on the speed and her jumps weren't as montrous as they sometimes are, but it totally worked in her favor. She didn't look rushed, and her jumps are solid/big enough that she can make the rotations either way. I really hope all of this carries over into her long tomorrow and that she doesn't crack under the pressure of being first (Lord knows Frank has some experience dealing with that).
Ahem, I was in with that advice in June, way before Gracie was even a glimmer in Frank's eye:

Often, when Gracie executes her jumps, I get the distinct sense that she's busting a gut to get the last bit of height and distance, and to rotate just that little bit faster, and get it over with just that little bit quicker. My question is: why? As said, Gracie has the physical tools to achieve the right amount of speed, height and width to give her plenty of time to rotate and land at leisure, without the need to look tense and strained and rushed and slightly out of control.

When I have tried to relate these impressions to my own experiences, this adrenaline-fuelled over-eagerness seems very much like what is known as "pressing" among the swingers of the golf club or the baseball bat, particularly when one wants to increase swing speed and hence power. In trying too hard (pressing), the surges of power come at the wrong time and in the wrong places, which then also mess up the timing and mechanical sequence of the swing positions, which can then lead to mistakes.

More often than not, it is the young, athletic, and powerful who are prone to this, that is to say, exactly those athletes whose natural power would be sufficient to allow them to get the job done without straining the performance envelope. This is because less physically gifted athletes know with a greater sense of realism and precision when they have reached their limits, whereas more gifted ones are much more prone to be tempted by the illusion that if they only go just a little bit faster, a tiny bit stronger, they can reap the glory without losing control. This, of course, is when disaster often strikes. Gracie, in sum, is often guilty of trying to "muscle" jumps when she doesn't really need to. And particularly in the SP, when she is all amped up without having bled off the pre-competition jitters.
Hey, Frank, I'm not asking for a percentage or anything, but to quote Bill Murray, how 'bout a little something for the effort? :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Gracie's personal best in PCS was 28.62 at 2013 Worlds. Julia's personal best in PCS was 27.86 at Trophee Eric Bompard. The scores they received here 30.92 for Gracie, 28.94 for Julia seem to continue the trending from last season.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ahem, I was in with that advice in June, way before Gracie was even a glimmer in Frank's eye:

Hey, Frank, I'm not asking for a percentage or anything, but to quote Bill Murray, how 'bout a little something for the effort? :laugh:

Congrats Robeye. I can't give you any money but I will give you a :clap: :biggrin:

Also a :clap: for Mathman.

Both of you get a car!!! Okay, not really.

None of the judges seemed to notice that all of Lipnitskaia's spins were off-centred (the final combination spin massively so) and so was Osmond's combination spin. :scowl:

It's also interesting to see that one judge thought Osmond fell on her double axel.

The fall happened shortly after she landed it so why would you think otherwise? I think ISU should explicitly clarify how long a jump landing should be held for and what is the 'jump landing zone' so that judges don't have to second guess themselves.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Ugh, so I guess they recognize windmill arms as transitions then. :disapp:

Please, constantly holding your leg above your head is anything better? Lipnitskaya is still a little kid! Gracie' s feet just look so neat and precise today. Also they were very smart with her jump selection. If Julia had chosen to do the loop as her single triple jump her TES may have been higher and she'd be even closer to Gracie. Frank did his homework, give him props for that:clap:

Sara

On the Ice
I was surprised by Julia's scores regarding her spins. They were not well-centered. Otherwise I think the judging was pretty accurate, although I would lower Gracie's scores for choreo and interpretation. She was very good today and Julia skated worse than I expected. Akiko was lovely :love:

I think both Rafael and Frank have done a great job with their students in a short amount of time. Raf with Ashley's technique and Frank with many little details in Gracie's skating.

figureskate

On the Ice
It's also interesting to see that one judge thought Osmond fell on her double axel.

That I wanted to ask. I mean, I expected her to receive -3 across the board as she fell on the edge of the landing of the axel. I recall other times when skaters fell similarly and got a -2/-3 goe on the element. Is there a specific rule for this case? And if the fall was to be considered outside the element, why did some judges give a -2 goe for the axel?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh Phil Hersh, never hesitate with an opinion:

If I'm @AshWagner2010 watching this, I'm getting a wee bit nervous. Her good SP at Skate America might have been 4th here

And Oh Ashley Wagner, you gutsy one:

@olyphil As always, it's all relative Phil!

And more Phil Hersh tweeterisms

Relatively speaking, that is. -:) RT @AshWagner2010: @olyphil As always, it's all relative Phil!

And I thought there were 3 SPs today as good or better than yours RT @AshWagner2010: @olyphil As always, it's all relative Phil!

Bottom line: Top four SP at Skate Canada all were terrific to watch.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I find that Lacoste was great! and deserve higher PCS :)
Does I'm the only one who think that ?
Her choreography have improve a lot!

froh1981

Rinkside
The fall happened shortly after she landed it so why would you think otherwise? I think ISU should explicitly clarify how long a jump landing should be held for and what is the 'jump landing zone' so that judges don't have to second guess themselves.

I just wanted to point out some confusions among judges. Judges gave her +1, 0, 0, 0, 0, -1, -2, -2, -3.
I agree with you that ISU should clarify how long a jump landing should be held for.

tulosai

Record Breaker
it sends the signal from early start
Gracie will be the No.1 US lady heading to Sochi not the old and worn out Wagner

The real question is if Gracie can keep it together in the long. She tends to do fine when there's not so much pressure. Here almost everyone expected Julia and Akiko to beat her and she's been under the radar for a few weeks. Let's see how she does in the lead.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
None of the judges seemed to notice that all of Lipnitskaia's spins were off-centred (the final combination spin massively so) and so was Osmond's combination spin. :scowl:

Julia's marks on her spins were not high..

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Gold and Hicks, the first and the last, were the only ones backloading their programs, which paid for Gold but not for Hicks who botched the Lutz in the second half of the program.