Links to Other Reports:
Ice Dance - Short Dance
Ice Dance - Free Dance
Ladies - Short Program
Ladies - Free Skating
Men - Short Program
Men - Free Skating
Pairs - Free Skating

Disclaimer: The GOE values listed next to the elements are ones I would award if I was a judge and they’re intended to give you a general impression of how each element was executed. I try to describe each of the elements but there's not always time to be as detailed as I would like and a numbers can sometimes say a thousand words.

I am generally very nitpicky, try to pay a lot of attention to detail and attempt to notice various errors that judges might have missed. I realise that I’m being very harsh but I try my best to apply the same high standard to all of the skaters.

Any questions, comments, criticisms and discussion are all very welcome.

1. Lindsay DAVIS / Rockne BRUBAKER /USA/
Le petit fleur and Skolkian Africa Dance by Sidney Bechet and Louis Armstrong

3salchow [2] – perfectly synchronized, very solid landings with good free leg extension
3twist [-2] – decent height but heavily two-footed, catch assisted by his shoulder
throw 3salchow [0] – a little hesitation getting the free leg out
axel lasso [-2] – had to abort it early before going into change of position
to pair change combination spin [0]
straight line step sequence [0]
unextended, barely held shoot-the-duck into back inside death spiral with change of hold [0]

Not a lot of relation to the music. They need some more time to gel as they still look a bit like two single skaters.

2. Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER /USA/
Malaguena by Ernesto Lecouna

3twist [0] – solid catch but two-footed by him
throw 3loop [1] – very slightly over the toe but a solid landing with a good extension held long
3salchow [-3] – he was way off-axis, underrotated over 1/2 and fell
axel lasso to change of position and one hand hold to difficult dismount [-1] – two footed, a little laboured
L spiral into back inside death spiral [0]
into pair change combination spin [0]
straight line step sequence [1] – good expression

Their movement was quite strong and sharp, reflecting the character of the music quite well but the choreography could have used some more fleshing out and the program didn’t have a lot of transitions. His shoulders were rounded throughout.

3. SUI Wenjing / HAN Cong /CHN/
La Strada by Nino Rota

cantilever towards throw 3flip [2] – incredible height and distance, solid landing
3toe [0] – clean but very slightly off-synch
3twist with arm above [2] – good height, strong catch
reverse lasso to change of position and one hand to difficult dismount [0] – first change of position a little heavy but strong otherwise
shoot-the-duck into back inside death spiral with change of hold [1] – could use a little more speed but good position and flow
straight line step sequence [1] – well put together, decent flow and upper body movement
to pair change combination spin [1] – quite good positions and rotation speed

Good expression and a lot of upper body movement throughout.

They have improved massively since being moved from Luan Bo to Yao Bin after last season. This performance gave them their new personal best (by 2.27).

4. Margaret PURDY / Michael MARINARO /CAN/
Unchained Melody by Alex North

dance lift into 3twist [-3] – lack of height, underrotated, landed on his shoulder, late/no catch
3toe [-3] – she underrotated over 1/4 and two-footed the landing
spread eagle to axel lasso – didn’t go up (no value)
throw 3loop [-3] – fall
spread eagles to L spiral to back insde death spiral with change of hold [-1] – exit on two feet
to pair change combination spin [-1] – off-centred after change of foot

A sluggish performance. It looked like the technical mistakes took away their confidence and they didn’t present the program well (she looked very pissed off throughout their performance).

5. Mari VARTMANN / Aaron VAN CLEAVE /GER/
Where the Light Gets In by Sennen

3twist [-2] – she needed to put her arms on his to assist the catch, two-footed
3toe [-3] – he fell
coe spread eagle to throw 3salchow [1] – secure landing (although she could have extended it a little better)
dance lift to catchfoot spiral to pair change combination spin [1] – well extended positions
axel lasso to change of position and one hand hold to another change of position and difficult dismount [0]
shoot-the-duck into back inside death spiral with change of hold [-1] – weak position, not a lot of speed

A couple of creative transitions and quite gentle movement in character of the music but the program could have been fleshed out more. She’s very elegant but his posture and lines aren’t anywhere near as good as hers.

6. Paige LAWRENCE / Rudi SWIEGERS /CAN/
Olivier
I Put a Spell on You
Rudy's Bock

3toe [-3] – his landing weak, she underrotated over 1/2 and stepped out
3twist [-2] – not a lot of height, two-footed, catch assisted by his shoulder
pair change combination spin [-1] – some of the positions could have been extended a little better, off-centred slightly after change of foot
axel lasso to one hand to change of position [0] – stopped rotating for a moment when changing positions and then his next step was a little stumbly
transition into back inside death spiral with change of hold [0] – creative entry very well connected with the element
straight line step sequence [0] – could use some more speed and stronger edges
throw 3lutz [-3] – off-axis in the air, fall

A lot of upper body movement throughout, good expression and excellent attention to detail. They seemed to really worked hard on improving their presentation.

7. Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK /ITA/
The Mask (soundtrack)

footwork towards 3toe [1] – well synchronised, solid landings
steps towards 3twist [0] – not a lot of height but clean
reverse lasso to change of position and one hand hold and difficult dismount [0] – a very impressive position (although changing to it could have used a little more flow)
throw 3loop [2] – very good distance covered, solid landing
catchfoot spiral into back inside death spiral with change of hold [1] – good position
pair change combination spin [1]
straight line step sequence [1]
fun rotational dance lift to finish

A sharp and confident performance with good attack throughout.

They have smashed their personal best by 5.10 points.

8. Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD /CAN/
Tribute by Eric Radford

3twist [1] – solid catch, good flow from start to finish
3lutz [-3] – heavy step out from her
spread eagle to axel lasso to change of position and one hand to pull-through dismount [-1] – a little bit strained throughout, two-footed (unless that pull-through counts as a difficult entry in the rules but I don’t think so)
to pair change combination spin [1] – decent positions and rotation speed
pull-through to dance lift towards throw 3lutz [-2] – over the toe, hands down, not a lot of flow out
straight line step sequence [1] – good speed
dance lift to very creative transitions into back inside death spiral with change of hold [1]

Fantastic choreography with lots of detail both in terms of upper body movement and (very creative) transitions throughout. Skated with a lot of speed and attack.